2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)
Here's the word Drumpf scrawled across the door of a Muslim student prayer room at NYU yesterday.

Please person who doesn't have to be afraid for their life, tell people who do that they should calm down. I'm sure they'll listen.

Cw3eHarVEAADWzd.jpg

And that's just the beginning.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
Philly, today

PtJnzx3.jpg

KFJZ8UK.jpg

I don't understand. Why is everyone overreacting?

*searches for the This is Fine meme*

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
I'm not saying you guys can't be upset or have an opinion. It's the extreme versions of those opinions that i'm referring to. It's feeding into a sky is falling mentality that is just ludicrous.

You don't get to tell the tens of millions of Americans from minority communities that they don't have a right to be legitimately scared after this country elected a campaign of white nationalism and open hatred (with fewer votes). Trump has said awful, awful things and promised to harm these people as part of his campaign, as have the people he's surrounded himself with. The racists and bigots are clearly emboldened and empowered right now.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
What a s***ty post. Show me evidence that he isn't actually going to do it.

The planet is going to get hurt. People are already getting hurt. If nothing else happens, if Trump is impeached on January 21, his campaign and victory have already emboldened bigots to be proud bigots, in public.

Or, show me evidence he will. 95% of what candidates promise in elections never happens. Why are you all assuming he'll be the first one in history to do it?

Will he try to build a wall? Maybe. Will he try to deport 11 million people? Maybe. Will Republicans in Congress back up? No, I don't think so. Will it happen? No, I don't think so. I'll happily eat crow if he does.

Also, connecting Trump to Hitler is just idiotic. Fearing that we're going to become a fascist country is idiotic. You lost. People with the right to vote (the absolute, constitutionally protected right!) did so and this is the result. Don't blame him. Don't blame those people. Blame your party for putting up a s*** candidate that started off with 50% of the country not liking her and blame the 7 million or whatever democrats who voted for Obama but didn't vote for Hillary. They were clearly so upset and fearful of a Trump presidency that they did something about it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
For reference, I stuck to the ones that were easiest to document/had a police report filed. There are lots of those.

OMG! THere are s***ty people in the world!! WHAT A SHOCK!

This is literally the same response as me posting the black women saying that Obama was going to pay her mortgage now that he's President and concluding that all black people must feel the same way.

Come on, you guys are better than this.

So am I supposed to feel reassured that we're hearing rumblings of folks like Palin, Arpaio, Giuliani, and a climate change denier for EPA, as part of Trump's cabinet? Is it possible to find a group of more divisive and incompetent people?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
I'm not saying you guys can't be upset or have an opinion. It's the extreme versions of those opinions that i'm referring to. It's feeding into a sky is falling mentality that is just ludicrous.

You are smart enough to realize the distinction here. I pointed it out yesterday and 5 more people pointed it out to you today.

You cannot compare the fabricated, paranoid, and in many cases, incomprehensible fear of Obama and his actual POLICIES by republicans to that the fear caused by things Trump has actually said and promised to do. The former involves baseless nonsense invented by themselves, whereas the latter involves things the candidate and his VP have actually promised to do.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)

This is literally the same response as me posting the black women saying that Obama was going to pay her mortgage now that he's President and concluding that all black people must feel the same way.

No, it's not. One is, at best, one woman being ignorant about what Obama was going to do. The other is dozens of stories from not even 24 hours into President Elect Trump of open racism and bigotry aimed at minority communities. It doesn't matter if it's not all white people that are s***ty, there's enough of them that are and they feel empowered right now. Minorities of all stripes rightly feel like they will be and already are being targeted, and you're just trying to dismiss that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
So am I supposed to feel reassured that we're hearing rumblings of folks like Palin, Arpaio, Giuliani, and a climate change denier for EPA, as part of Trump's cabinet? Is it possible to find a group of more divisive and incompetent people?

Hey, pointing out incompetency is 100% legit and I totally agree.

Acting like this is a new world order of white people that will transform the country into Germany circa 1930 is what i'm mainly laughing at.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:09 PM)

We thought that the people of this country were better than this.

They aren't. That's plenty of reason to be terrified.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)

There are dozens of examples already, after one day, where people are being harassed to the point of tears. Black people being called n****r right to their faces, chants of white power, Hispanics being called wetbacks and told that they will be deported soon, Muslims getting their hijabs ripped off. All while mentioning that Trump won and that things are going to change.

Why are you so comfortable and dismissive of this? Oh right, because you're a white male and this doesn't personally affect you.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)
Or, show me evidence he will. 95% of what candidates promise in elections never happens. Why are you all assuming he'll be the first one in history to do it?

Will he try to build a wall? Maybe. Will he try to deport 11 million people? Maybe. Will Republicans in Congress back up? No, I don't think so. Will it happen? No, I don't think so. I'll happily eat crow if he does.

Also, connecting Trump to Hitler is just idiotic. Fearing that we're going to become a fascist country is idiotic. You lost. People with the right to vote (the absolute, constitutionally protected right!) did so and this is the result. Don't blame him. Don't blame those people. Blame your party for putting up a s*** candidate that started off with 50% of the country not liking her and blame the 7 million or whatever democrats who voted for Obama but didn't vote for Hillary. They were clearly so upset and fearful of a Trump presidency that they did something about it.

Are you kidding me? Now we should be comforted by the fact that he most likely won't be able to carry out his threats?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
There are dozens of examples already, after one day, where people are being harassed to the point of tears. Black people being called n****r right to their faces, chants of white power, Hispanics being called wetbacks and told that they will be deported soon, Muslims getting their hijabs ripped off. All while mentioning that Trump won and that things are going to change.

Why are you so comfortable and dismissive of this?

I'm not at all. It's an issue and I hope those assholes around found and prosecuted.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
You are smart enough to realize the distinction here. I pointed it out yesterday and 5 more people pointed it out to you today.

You cannot compare the fabricated, paranoid, and in many cases, incomprehensible fear of Obama and his actual POLICIES by republicans to that the fear caused by things Trump has actually said and promised to do. The former involves baseless nonsense invented by themselves, whereas the latter involves things the candidate and his VP have actually promised to do.

Yes he can, because there is no accountability for anything we say anymore.

I mean the entire premise of the argument is "People say things they dont mean."

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)

Acting like this is a new world order of white people that will transform the country into Germany circa 1930 is what i'm mainly laughing at.

It's bad enough if we transform the country into America circa 1960 (and that's being awfully generous) if you're a racial minority. It's bad enough if we transform into America circa 2000 if you're gay.

This is a country with a long and dark history of white supremacy. It's only in the last few decades that that has been broken, slowly, and a lot of people are legitimately scared that we're going to backslide very quickly when the candidate who ran on white nationalism takes charge.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)

That's the thing. It just keeps getting worse.

When Florida goes underwater, the only good thing will be Mara logo goes under with it. But we won't even be able to enjoy that. Trump is using global warming as an excuse to get a sea wall built at one of his golf courses in Ireland.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)

I understand the pushback that this won't be nazi germany. But I think there needs to be more thresholds for you allowing concern from :

-There are no actual examples of hate speech and bigoted acts increasing

- We are in Nazi Germany

It is very scary to see the panic of Sikh, Muslim and Hindi friends. They are in Chicago. Are they likely to be victims of hate crime? No. Is it scary there are pockets in their own country they are worried about being targeted? I think we all know answer is yes. We assume that this will not be PREVALENT, but it is scary that what we don't know, from this candidate, if when needed to discourage these acts and stand up for Americans (ala Bush) whether he will do that.

That's hard. Should people panic yet? No but I think we need space to stand up for these people too even if it is (or turns out to be) a series of isolated events

Trump vigilante posters appearing in Texas

"Now that our man Drumpf is elected and Republicans own both the Senate and the House -- time to organize tar & feather vigilante squads and go arrest and torture those deviant university leaders spouting off all this diversity garbage," at least one of the fliers reads, according to a photo that the university community is sharing.

vigilantes.jpg

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
We thought that the people of this country were better than this.

They aren't. That's plenty of reason to be terrified.

You act like there was some sudden shift. It's the same country. DEMOCRATS lost the election. A new wave of White Power Americans didn't win it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:19 AM)

Hah...honestly, I really am so much more disappointed in what this showed about us as a country than the fact that Trump actually won. Obviously, that may change as he actually starts his term, but what a backwater f***ing place this still is.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
You act like there was some sudden shift. It's the same country. DEMOCRATS lost the election. A new wave of White Power Americans didn't win it.

Youre right, its nothing new. I just think that many people actually "hoped" that over the last 50+ years parts of America had "changed."

People just like to forget things, like the fact that Britain passed slavery abolition 30 years prior to the US or that France did it in 1794.