White Sox Rebuild Thread

Dunt

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
For real? He'd probably sign a 4-5 year deal worth $80-$100M in free agency.

There is still quite a bit of surplus value there.

He can also opt out of his contract in to arb at any time, so he really doesn't have as much surplus value as it would seem.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
He can also opt out of his contract in to arb at any time, so he really doesn't have as much surplus value as it would seem.

I am aware. His salary isn't going to skyrocket. I doubt he opts into arb this year. Do we know when he has to decide? It must be soon.

Plus, lets stop acting like Jose cannot play 1B. Is he great over there? No. But he's not horrible.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
DH's aren't worth nearly as much on the free agent market as actual position players.

His value you should be similar to EE and he may get a 5 year $125 million deal. I bet a team that misses out on EE calls Hahn about Abreu.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
His value you should be similar to EE and he may get a 5 year $125 million deal.

Yup - Abreu still has a great deal of value around the league IMO.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 05:40 PM)
I am aware. His salary isn't going to skyrocket. I doubt he opts into arb this year. Do we know when he has to decide? It must be soon.

Plus, lets stop acting like Jose cannot play 1B. Is he great over there? No. But he's not horrible.

He was simply horrible last year on defense. Since he debuted, he's the worst defensive 1b in baseball according to def fWAR (Alvarez is worse but no longer playing in the field)

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
He was simply horrible last year on defense. Since he debuted, he's the worst defensive 1b in baseball according to def fWAR (Alvarez is worse but no longer playing in the field)

Hmm. Thanks for sharing. Didn't realize the advanced stats hated him THAT much. The eye test would say he is mediocre defensive 1B, but clearly the stats say otherwise.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 05:51 PM)
Hmm. Thanks for sharing. Didn't realize the advanced stats hated him THAT much. The eye test would say he is mediocre defensive 1B, but clearly the stats say otherwise.

His range is non-existent. Actually cost the sox quite a few games.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)

I wonder where EE would be if he played as much 1B as Abreu over past few years? Encarnacion I believe has mostly been a DH due to injuries.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
His value you should be similar to EE and he may get a 5 year $125 million deal. I bet a team that misses out on EE calls Hahn about Abreu.

I think there is a very sizable production difference there. We may well get calls on Abreu, but it will be more to do with is being cheaper than EE, than his being as productive as him. I also wouldn't underestimate opt out in his deal effecting things.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)

This is a great quote, and probably telling as to why the Sox won't say exactly what they are doing.

So does one big deal have to be made to put the White Sox in full-blown retooling mode?

“The pace and magnitude of any of our moves, regardless of the direction, will be dictated by the marketplace,” Hahn said. “You can’t say you are going to trade player X before we do anything else, because it might not be the right time to get proper value. We are in a position now where we have a few player assets under contract control for only another year (Todd Frazer, Melky Cabrera, Brett Lawrie). So there may be a kind of clock on them. On guys who are more controllable than that, there is less urgency until you peaked out on assets back for the long-term benefit of the club.”

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
He'd probably get a contract similar to what Encarnacion will get IMO.

There is a very large production difference between the two players after Abreu's first year. I think the years could be closer, because of age differences, but the per year dollars would be very different.

Abreu had a s***ty first half last year, but put up a wRC+ of 142 & a .898 OPS in the second half. I don't think you can look at his 2016 numbers in aggragate and value him as a player. He's not the same guy he was during his rookie year, but he's still a premium hitter and is under team control for three seasons at what should be a well below market rate if he bounces back to a 3 WAR type player. In this market, there should be at least one team willing to pony up for him. If not, he's a guy who might be worth holding onto until the trade deadline and allowing his trade value to bounce back.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
Abreu had a s***ty first half last year, but put up a wRC+ of 142 & a .898 OPS in the second half. I don't think you can look at his 2016 numbers in aggragate and value him as a player. He's not the same guy he was during his rookie year, but he's still a premium hitter and is under team control for three seasons at what should be a well below market rate if he bounces back to a 3 WAR type player. In this market, there should be at least one team willing to pony up for him. If not, he's a guy who might be worth holding onto until the trade deadline and allowing his trade value to bounce back.

Well stated.