President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
What? That was #1 rally cry for his base at every stop he made. We're we supposed to know these were 100% empty promises? Did everyone at the rallies know that?

I think plenty of people understood that it was less a serious proposal and more a generic anti-immigrant/anti-Mexican message.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
I just don't understand how this can get glossed over so easily.

Hours after he won, I saw the GOP talking heads, very quickly for the first time saying "In terms of the wall, he didn't really mean a 'wall' but more of a bigger fence around 'some' of the border"

What? That was #1 rally cry for his base at every stop he made. We're we supposed to know these were 100% empty promises? Did everyone at the rallies know that?

Honestly almost every GOP talking head had been against him the entire time so Id take stuff coming from them with a grain of salt. More than half of Fox News spent the entire election cycle trashing the republican candidate.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
I think plenty of people understood that it was less a serious proposal and more a generic anti-immigrant/anti-Mexican message.

Get the f*** out of here. Not one of those buffoons at his rallies wearing "grab my p****" shirts thought he didn't want to build a wall. He wants to and he's going to try to, by the way. And it'll be the best wall I can assure you that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Some reasonable stuff, and some lunacy as well.

But he didn't really mean he was building a literal wall!

Its polarizing, some really great ideas and some just awful ones. People need to look at the three tax brackets he proposed, because its not really helping the lower middle or lower class.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Its polarizing, some really great ideas and some just awful ones. People need to look at the three tax brackets he proposed, because its not really helping the lower middle or lower class.

Well, if you saw the exit polls, those groups didn't vote for him anyway.

School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to give parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.

Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds. Reforms will also include cutting the red tape at the FDA: there are over 4,000 drugs awaiting approval, and we especially want to speed the approval of life-saving medications.

This is both brilliant and lunacy in the same policy.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
Term limits put more power into the hands of lobbyists over a never-ending stream of people coming into the job fresh. They're the ones who will have the long-term relationships and understanding of how the system works.

beat me to it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
Term limits put more power into the hands of lobbyists over a never-ending stream of people coming into the job fresh. They're the ones who will have the long-term relationships and understanding of how the system works.

This. An endless cycle of green politicians trying to figure out how things work doesn't sound like progress.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
If Trump really tries to get that plan in action he will get killed.

Does anyone disagree with term limits for Congress? Or stopping lobbyist shenanigans?

Stopping lobbyist shennanigans is good.

Term limits can be both good and bad. There are plenty of legitimate public servants whose experience in legislating helps get stuff done. When a new batch of Congress people get into office, they have to get up to speed on "how a bill becomes a law," they don't know anyone on the other side of the aisle to get stuff done with. Experienced Congress people, who are actually public servants, are a good thing.

Off the top of my head, Dick Lugar was a great R Senator when I lived in Indiana. He worked across the aisle and seemed to actually have the country's best interests at heart. Right now, with Elizabeth Warren's willingness to take on banks and fight for consumers, I'd happily have her stay in the Senate forever. Bernie Sanders shouldn't be term limited out. I disagree with Rand Paul on basically everything, but he's consistent and doesn't appear to twist in the political winds. I don't have a problem with any of those people serving 30+ years in Congress.

Someone like Mitch McConnell's, whose principles change entirely based on the prevailing wind and what he needs to do to get elected - we simply need to stop re-electing those guys. Not set up arbitrary term limits that actually drive the public servants who do their jobs out of Congress.

It'll be great to end Common Core just as all the school districts have switched their curriculum to it. Defunding public schools via charters, religious and home schools will be disasterous.

Block-granting Medicaid means the destruction of Medicaid.

Purchasing across state lines means a race to the bottom so that all of our policies come from Delaware or SD, just like all of our credit cards do.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)

Reminds me of the Sam Bee interview with Gary Johnson...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
If the GOP updated their archaic social views and their archaic environmental views, they would be a lot more palatable as a majority party. Neither are likely to happen over the next 4 years.

I'm praying he shocks everyone and really does prevent any anti-LGBT laws and he tries to help minorities that are here legally. If he can do that he would actually be really, really good for the party going forward and he could have an 8 year stay. Going after illegal immigrants won't hurt him, even with minorities (as the election showed). But not bridging the divide domestically will be very bad for him for 2020 and the party beyond.

Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke, who urged Americans to pick up “pitchforks and torches” last month in response to what he called a “rigged” system, on Wednesday denounced thousands of Americans for demonstrating against the president-elect’s stunning victory over Hillary Clinton.

“These temper tantrums from these radical anarchists must be quelled. There is no legitimate reason to protest the will of the people,” Clarke said on Twitter, even though the former secretary of state won the popular vote.

via

LOL at "radical anarchists". Thousands of people across the country were peacefully protesting. Apparently only conservatives are allowed to protest...and he suggests that they shouldn't be peaceful when they do. What a douche

Edited by BigSqwert

I just watched the post-meeting comments from Trump and Obama. Trump seemed slightly overwhelmed and seemed to come away with a want to have Obama's "counsel". He's in over his head, perhaps by having his ass kissed with an olive branch from the respected leader of the free world he'll turn to him for guidance through his presidency.

I can only hope.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
via

LOL at "radical anarchists". Thousands of people across the country were peacefully protesting. Apparently only conservatives are allowed to protest...and he suggests that they shouldn't be peaceful when they do. What a douche

Is he up for re-election in 2 years? Hopefully he goes Sheriff Joe's way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
If he gets voted out, Drumpf will make him the Secretary of Defense.

Speaking of which, remember that link a few weeks ago where we could suggest Trump's cabinet picks? We all put in a bunch of ridiculous choices and the real one is shaping up to be just as ridiculous. *sigh*

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
I'm praying he shocks everyone and really does prevent any anti-LGBT laws and he tries to help minorities that are here legally. If he can do that he would actually be really, really good for the party going forward and he could have an 8 year stay. Going after illegal immigrants won't hurt him, even with minorities (as the election showed). But not bridging the divide domestically will be very bad for him for 2020 and the party beyond.

I would not be shocked by this at all and actually expect this to be his stance.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
I think it's safe to say the best move the LGBT community leaders could do is shower Trump with praise and see what kind of policy that gets them.

I'm really not joking.

That might be the best idea I have heard yet, and I am not kidding.