President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
I mean, with that statement we are saying flag burning is worse than about every other crime including serial killing. Because those people still keep their citizenship.

Don't try to get into the mind of Trump...your brain will go all Scanners on you.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
Oh and Drumpf decided to declare today that flag burning, which is protected 1st amendment speech, should be punishable by revocation of citizenship.

The punishment wasn't as severe as what crooked Donnie is proposing but also a head scratcher:

Hillary sponsored legislation punishing flag burning w/1 yr in jail + $100k fine.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
The punishment wasn't as severe as what crooked Donnie is proposing but also a head scratcher:

Hillary sponsored legislation punishing flag burning w/1 yr in jail + $100k fine.

Dumb legislation for sure, but it wasn't for simply burning a flag in protest.

The law was for "destroying or damaging a U.S. flag with the primary purpose and intent to incite or produce imminent violence or a breach of the peace"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
He probably saw something on TV about flag burning and decided to respond to it. He has the mind of a toddler.

or with the idiot savant media manipulator angle, you can say that he's baiting people to protest him via flag-burning which, rightly or wrongly, will be viewed by a majority of the country as disrespectful and un-American, helping to delegitimize anti-Trump movements.

It's probably the former

https://twitter.com/KFaulders/status/803618...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Katherine FauldersVerified account

‏@KFaulders Katherine Faulders Retweeted Donald J. Trump

Timing of Trump's tweet lines up w/ Fox segment at 6:25AM on students burning the flag

Falwell says Trump offered him education secretary job

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. says President elect-Donald Trump offered him the job of education secretary, but that he turned it down for personal reasons.

Falwell tells The Associated Press that Trump offered him the job last week during a meeting in New York. He says Trump wanted a four- to six-year commitment, but that he couldn't leave Liberty for more than two years.

Falwell says he couldn't afford to work at a Cabinet-level job for longer than that and didn't want to move his family, especially his 16-year-old daughter.

Trump announced Wednesday he had selected charter school advocate Betsy DeVos for the job. Falwell says he thinks DeVos is an "excellent choice."

Trump spoke at the Christian university in Lynchburg, Virginia, in January and Falwell later endorsed him.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 06:01 AM)
Trump to nominate Georgia rep tom price for hhs. Price has been a strong Obamacare critic and has advocated for deregulation, tort reform (ie limiting doctor liability) and health savings accounts as the fix to our broken health care system.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cnbc.com/amp...android-verizon

Any republican plan will almost definitely gut the medicaid expansion, throwing millions back into the ranks of the uninsured.

Price is also a proponent of privatizing Medicare along the lines of Ryan's proposals.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tom-...verhaul-in-2017

My tiers of cabinet appointments (grouped rumored and official)

Unacceptable due to experience, temperament or background

Guiliani

Bannon

Flynn

Sessions

Arpaio/Clarke Jr.

Carson - tier down from the madness above him. Just clearly unqualified.

Kobach

Acceptably qualified but scary re: policy

DeVos

Price

Bolton - if sec. of state should be considered unacceptable

Cotton

Not acceptable under any normal circumstances but considering Trump I would be fine with:

Gen. Petraeus

Normal Candidates I disagree with on views but take roles seriously:

Romney

Haley

Mattis

Corker

Pawlenty

Hensarling

Scott Brown

J Brewer

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)

Guiliani

Bannon

Flynn

Sessions

Arpaio/Clarke Jr.

Kobach

DeVos

Price

Cotton

Not acceptable under any normal circumstances but considering Trump I would be fine with:

Gen. Petraeus

Romney

Haley

Mattis

Corker

Pawlenty

Hensarling

Scott Brown

J Brewer

Even in that normal candidates list, there are more than a few that I can't figure out how they would fit into the positions they were put into.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Even in that normal candidates list, there are more than a few that I can't figure out how they would fit into the positions they were put into.

Yeah they are a bit mismatched, especially pawlenty for treasury is a lot lot lot light.

Romney typically would not have rep for int'l scene but for me would be greatly stabilizing, and same for Corker as SecDef. Fine with Mattis there as well.

Brewer rumored for Sec Interior, she's a pretty good executive.

The rest, weird positons for them but they are serious people. There are a few more good names I saw when I looked up an NYT article for anything I missed but stuck to mostly rumors that have been widespread enough that they seemed plausible.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)

Guiliani

Bannon

Flynn

Sessions

Arpaio/Clarke Jr.

Kobach

DeVos

Price

Cotton

Gen. Petraeus

Romney

Haley

Mattis

Corker

Pawlenty

Hensarling

Scott Brown

J Brewer

And Pompeo for CIA?

Obviously, he's trying to mock the American people by spending months on Hillary's emails while totally overlooking what Petraeus did to get in hot water. Apparently any violation due to "seduction by younger woman" or cheating/affairs is perfectly understandable. And Christian fundamentalists won't care if he pays lip service to overturning Roe v. Wade.

Scott Brown, the former pin-up model/beefcake anti-Democratic establishment candidate?

Edited by caulfield12

This is to dispel the "people are overreacting" crowd in here...

The Southern Poverty Law Center today released two reports documenting how President-elect Donald Trump's own words have sparked hate incidents across the country and had a profoundly negative effect on the nation’s schools.

In Ten Days After, the SPLC documents 867 bias-related incidents in the 10 days following the presidential election. Among them: multiple reports of black children being told to ride in the back of school buses; the words “Trump Nation” and “Whites Only” being painted on a church with a large immigrant population; and a gay man being pulled from his car and beaten by an assailant who said the “president says we can kill all you f**gots now.”

In After the Election, The Trump Effect, the SPLC’s Teaching Tolerance project details the findings of an online survey of more than 10,000 educators since the election. Ninety percent reported that their school’s climate has been negatively affected, and 80 percent described heightened anxiety and concern among minority students worried about the impact of the election on their families.

The teachers described an increase in the use of slurs and derogatory language, along with disturbing incidents involving swastikas, Nazi salutes and Confederate flags. More than 2,500 said they knew of fights, threats, assaults and other incidents that could be traced directly to election rhetoric.

via

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
LOL. Draining the swamp. Amazing how many people got suckered by this con man.

via

Hey man, he just said he was going to drain it. No one asked what he was going to fill it with....

/green

So, I saw someone pose this on Twitter about a week or two ago and I haven't yet seen a good answer.

Trump isn't selling his company, his kids are still running it and they've made it clear they're going to cash in on his name. He owns properties around the world. They are even building more while cashing in on his election.

So, there's a Trump hotel in Turkey. There's a trump hotel in Brazil. Manila, several in Indonesia, Bali, etc.

What happens if one of these hotels or properties is blown up by a terrorist? Normally if there were a hotel explosion in Turkey the US would offer investigative support or something like that, but if the President's name is on it, doesn't that become an instant target? Would you expect the U.S. to not respond in that case? Hotels are generally pretty soft targets anyway, so yeah.

The new Secretary of Health and Human Services is a member of a fringe medical organization. Here’s what that means.

I realize that just because Tom Price is a member of the AAPS doesn't necessarily mean that he subscribes to all its views--or even most of them. Maybe he's like the Trump voters who were attracted by other things about him or hated Hillary Clinton more than they were disturbed by his racism, embrace of the alt right white supremacist movement, misogyny, and conspiracy mongering. Maybe Price was attracted by the AAPS world view that rejects nearly all restrictions on physicians' practice of medicine, purportedly for the good of the patient; its support of private practice and dislike of government involvement in medicine, either financially or regulatory; and its embrace of an Ayn Rand-style view of doctors as supermen and women whose unfettered judgment results in what's best for patients and medicine. Perhaps he was so attracted to the AAPS vision of doctors as special and "outside of the herd" to the point that he ignored its simultaneous promotion of dangerous medical quackery, such as antivaccine pseudoscience blaming vaccines for autism, including a view that is extreme even among antivaccine activists, namely that the "shaken baby syndrome" is a "misdiagnosis" for vaccine injury; its HIV/AIDS denialism; its blaming immigrants for crime and disease; its promotion of the pseudoscience claiming that abortion causes breast cancer using some of the most execrable "science" ever; its rejection of evidence-based guidelines as an unacceptable affront on the godlike autonomy of physicians; or the way the AAPS rejects even the concept of a scientific consensus about anything. Let's just put it this way. The AAPS has featured publications by antivaccine mercury militia "scientists" Mark and David Geier. Even so, the very fact that Price was attracted enough to this organization and liked it enough to actually join it should raise a number of red flags. It certainly did with me, because I know the AAPS all too well.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politic...725614/?ref=yfp

Sanders says Carrier deal sets a dangerous precedent...(does kind of feel like we'll have hundreds of Jerry Reinsdorfs threatening to pick up and leave as a negotiating tactic...not to mention that everyone feels that "great deal" was more about the parent company preserving future defense contracts with the actual Carrier part being a "win now" media moment for Trump...and that Carrier is still going to continue on with their Mexico plans and not abandon that project completely)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/what-just-ha...-223106708.html

What just happened with Carrier is crazy

Edited by caulfield12