President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 02:13 AM)
Hmmmm. Hillary still has a shot at oval office?

Barring this year getting any more unexpectedly insane, no.

But looks like Stein just raised enough to call for the recounts, so sit back, relax and strap it down.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
Barring this year getting any more unexpectedly insane, no.

But looks like Stein just raised enough to call for the recounts, so sit back, relax and strap it down.

I would think with a 2 million vote lead and the corruption that exists, Hillary may win. I'd give her odds of 50/50 minimum maybe 60/40 she is our next President.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 11:32 PM)
How can anyone read this nonsense and actually believe Greg isn't a troll?

She won the general vote by 2 million! I think there's a better than 50/50 chance recounts come up in her favor. She was the popular vote choice for President.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/business-boo...-121633538.html

Business is booming at Trump Tower...of course, all of those souvenirs/merchandise were probably manufacturer in Asia.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/201...e-working-class

Trump's presidency will be a disaster for the white working class...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
She won the general vote by 2 million! I think there's a better than 50/50 chance recounts come up in her favor. She was the popular vote choice for President.

Greg, this is the problem with being "against" someone or something.

When that person is no longer relevant, you have to move on OR actually work to make things better. It's what YOUR party, the GOP, is going to learn quickly enough when they control the majority and name a Supreme Court seat as well, that people who were promised (just for one example) "repeal and replace" of Obamacare expect (maybe even demand) something better. People in the Rust Belt were promised a return of jobs, so that means, at the least, that the $1 trillion infrastructure spending plan has to get past the Democrats and the Tea Party/Balanced Budget side of the Republican Party. Otherwise, you're left with a whole lot of disillusioned voters (see 1994/2010) who will take it out on the party in charge of fixing things.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 01:13 AM)
Greg, this is the problem with being "against" someone or something.

When that person is no longer relevant, you have to move on OR actually work to make things better. It's what YOUR party, the GOP, is going to learn quickly enough when they control the majority and name a Supreme Court seat as well, that people who were promised (just for one example) "repeal and replace" of Obamacare expect (maybe even demand) something better. People in the Rust Belt were promised a return of jobs, so that means, at the least, that the $1 trillion infrastructure spending plan has to get past the Democrats and the Tea Party/Balanced Budget side of the Republican Party. Otherwise, you're left with a whole lot of disillusioned voters (see 1994/2010) who will take it out on the party in charge of fixing things.

That's true.

Well, Trump is convinced he's going to bring a zillion good jobs to the USA. And he's going to cut taxes and get rid of Obamacare. Do you predict this is good news or bad for the USA first and Republicans second? It's pretty obvious those are things he's going to do.

He appears set on building the wall with a "beautiful door" in it as well.

Hmmmm ... I mean he's President unless Hillary somehow gets in. He's got to do some things. Will these things work?? Will they cause a Great Depression? I mean folks Trump has plans to lower taxes, get rid of Obamacare and he thinks he'll be a boon for jobs. These are on the table. Are u skeptical??

p.s. I'm not sure it classifies as "my party" since like I told you I didn't vote for Trump, I voted for Obama and the first Obama term I didn't vote at all. There are lapsed Catholics. I may be a lapsed Republican.

Edited by greg775

It's more likely you were always a Republican and were led to believe that Obama would bring change or a "breath of fresh air" into politics.

Whether they're called Reagan Democrats or the forgotten/overlooked Rust Belt voters of 2016, it amounts to the Democrats failing to present a compelling narrative or story to counter what Trump was selling.

No new jobs are coming back. Those were replaced MOSTLY by automation and advanced technology, and secondarily by lower labor rates in 2nd and 3rd world developing economies. It remains to be seen if he's willing to provoke a trade war with China or Mexico. So far, the stock market and value of the dollar have skyrocketed, but that's mostly benefiting the Top 10% of Americans that have significant incomes from investments.

There is unlikely to be another Great Depression...just more hollowing out of the Middle Class. Maybe it's a good thing with education costs skyrocketing that families are forced to re-evaluate BA/BS degrees in terms of return on investment, and what other avenues to making livable wages without a degree are actually out there (obviously, starting or spurring more small businesses, but that takes loans/capital/collateral.)

The Wall is a mistake, except in the sense that it will spur SOME economic growth if Americans are building it. But it's not going to be effective, it's more symbolic. People will continue to tunnel under, and go around via the Pacific or Gulf of Mexico. It sends the wrong message, that America isn't a country of immigrants, it's a country of "the right kind of immigrants," and everyone else who's not white or highly-educated should stay out. Except for Chinese and Indian workers in STEM subjects who are willing to work for 25-33% of what Americans would expect to earn in those same low and mid-level tech jobs, just to get their foot in the door.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 06:29 AM)
It's more likely you were always a Republican and were led to believe that Obama would bring change or a "breath of fresh air" into politics.

Whether they're called Reagan Democrats or the forgotten/overlooked Rust Belt voters of 2016, it amounts to the Democrats failing to present a compelling narrative or story to counter what Trump was selling.

No new jobs are coming back. Those were replaced MOSTLY by automation and advanced technology, and secondarily by lower labor rates in 2nd and 3rd world developing economies. It remains to be seen if he's willing to provoke a trade war with China or Mexico. So far, the stock market and value of the dollar have skyrocketed, but that's mostly benefiting the Top 10% of Americans that have significant incomes from investments.

There is unlikely to be another Great Depression...just more hollowing out of the Middle Class. Maybe it's a good thing with education costs skyrocketing that families are forced to re-evaluate BA/BS degrees in terms of return on investment, and what other avenues to making livable wages without a degree are actually out there (obviously, starting or spurring more small businesses, but that takes loans/capital/collateral.)

The Wall is a mistake, except in the sense that it will spur SOME economic growth if Americans are building it. But it's not going to be effective, it's more symbolic. People will continue to tunnel under, and go around via the Pacific or Gulf of Mexico. It sends the wrong message, that America isn't a country of immigrants, it's a country of "the right kind of immigrants," and everyone else who's not white or highly-educated should stay out. Except for Chinese and Indian workers in STEM subjects who are willing to work for 25-33% of what Americans would expect to earn in those same low and mid-level tech jobs, just to get their foot in the door.

Nice post Caulfield. Thought provoking.

My prediction, no depression. A recession for sure. Starting in late 2018. High inflation. Interest rates are on the rise meaning that businesses who have some form of borrowing (equipment loans, lines of credit, etc) will pay more in interest expense. This will discourage equipment purchases. I do a lot of equipment loans for businesses. Been told to expect a 0.25% rise before 12/1 and another 0.25% in January. Just check out how the 5 year treasury has reacted since the election.

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/^FVX?ql=1&p=^FVX

For consumers this means higher interest rates on mortgages (new and variable), auto loans, credit cards,etc.

Now, I believe that rates do need to rise, but slow and gradually. Maybe 0.25% every 6 months. But hearing what I am from many banks that I work with indicates it's going to rise rapidly. Life will cost more.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
My prediction, no depression. A recession for sure. Starting in late 2018. High inflation. Interest rates are on the rise meaning that businesses who have some form of borrowing (equipment loans, lines of credit, etc) will pay more in interest expense. This will discourage equipment purchases. I do a lot of equipment loans for businesses. Been told to expect a 0.25% rise before 12/1 and another 0.25% in January. Just check out how the 5 year treasury has reacted since the election.

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/^FVX?ql=1&p=^FVX

For consumers this means higher interest rates on mortgages (new and variable), auto loans, credit cards,etc.

Now, I believe that rates do need to rise, but slow and gradually. Maybe 0.25% every 6 months. But hearing what I am from many banks that I work with indicates it's going to rise rapidly. Life will cost more.

Yet another way middle class Americans will get squeezed.

Grocery/food prices, higher rates on loans (rich just pay off in cash), gas prices, health care costs, tuition costs. Always will have a disproportionate impact on those with less money...probably the tax cuts will barely offset these, but some will argue they have more money in terms of disposable income but not the decreased purchasing power.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
Yet another way middle class Americans will get squeezed.

Grocery/food prices, higher rates on loans (rich just pay off in cash), gas prices, health care costs, tuition costs. Always will have a disproportionate impact on those with less money...probably the tax cuts will barely offset these, but some will argue they have more money in terms of disposable income but not the decreased purchasing power.

Yes and the skyrocketing minimim wage is going to blow it all wide open. That's doomsday

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 26, 2016 -> 12:49 AM)
Yes and the skyrocketing minimim wage is going to blow it all wide open. That's doomsday

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion...ry.html?ref=yfp

How many of Trump's working class voters in the Rust Belt fall into or near the category of minimum wage workers?

Minimum wage workers are only 4.7% of the workforce, for one thing. Half are under age 25, while hourly workers under 25 comprise roughly 20% of the workforce.

The minimum wage for seasonal/part-time/student workers isn't the reason why many small businesses fail. They could even lower it and it still wouldn't bring any "good" jobs with livable wages back to the US.

Edited by caulfield12

A Republican challenger to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is bizarrely claiming that the former first lady has been spying in her bedroom window and flying helicopters over her house in the Hamptons, witnesses told The Post yesterday.

Former Reagan-era Pentagon official Kathleen "KT" McFarland stunned a crowd of Suffolk County Republicans on Thursday by saying:

"Hillary Clinton is really worried about me, and is so worried, in fact, that she had helicopters flying over my house in Southampton today taking pictures," according to a prominent GOP activist who was at the event.

"She wasn't joking, she was very, very serious, and she also claimed that Clinton's people were taking pictures across the street from her house in Manhattan, taking pictures from an apartment across the street from her bedroom," added the eyewitness, who is not involved in the Senate race.

That article is referring to our new deputy National Security Advisor.

Good luck when you start rounding up people on the streets and following through on your deportations threat. Separating families who have been here together 10+ years is really going to help create more jobs, too.

The irony is that Ryan/Norquist want to sneak in and change the tax code, Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, which almost nobody voted for as a set of policies...while continuing to raise military spending. Something has to give, and the most likely target is the social safety net since those poor people are assumed not to vote or Dems. But start touching the Holy Grail of those three programs and substituting even higher out of pocket costs and less services in the Obamacare tradeoff, good luck.

The campaign was about immigration and trade policy.

Potential Conflicts Around the Globe for Trump, the Businessman President

MANILA — On Thanksgiving Day, a Philippine developer named Jose E. B. Antonio hosted a company anniversary bash at one of Manila’s poshest hotels. He had much to be thankful for.

In October, he had quietly been named a special envoy to the United States by the Philippine president, Rodrigo Duterte. Mr. Antonio was nearly finished building a $150 million tower in Manila’s financial district — a 57-story symbol of affluence and capitalism, which bluntly promotes itself with the slogan “Live Above the Rest.” And now his partner on the project, Donald J. Trump, had just been elected president of the United States.

After the election, Mr. Antonio flew to New York for a private meeting at Trump Tower with the president-elect’s children, who have been involved in the Manila project from the beginning, as have Mr. Antonio’s children. The Trumps and Antonios have other ventures in the works, including Trump-branded resorts in the Philippines, Mr. Antonio’s son Robbie Antonio said.

Mr. Antonio’s combination of jobs — he is a business partner with Mr. Trump, while also representing the Philippines in its relationship with the United States and the president-elect — is hardly inconsequential, given some of the weighty issues on the diplomatic table.

Among them, Mr. Duterte has urged “a separation” from the United States and has called for American troops to exit the country in two years’ time. His antidrug crusade has resulted in the summary killings of thousands of suspected criminals without trial, prompting criticism from the Obama administration.

Situations like these are already leading some former government officials from both parties to ask if America’s reaction to events around the world could potentially be shaded, if only slightly, by the Trump family’s financial ties with foreign players. They worry, too, that in some countries those connections could compromise American efforts to criticize the corrupt intermingling of state power with vast business enterprises controlled by the political elite.

“It is uncharted territory, really in the history of the republic, as we have never had a president with such an empire both in the United States and overseas,” said Michael J. Green, who served on the National Security Council in the administration of George W. Bush, and before that at the Defense Department.

Much, much more at the link detailing Trump's ties to Ireland, Scotland, Turkey, Brazil, Argentina, India, and the UAE among others.