Catcher

Real

I would like them to try to buy low on Plawecki. He may be odd-man out with d'Arnaud and Rivera behind the plate for the Mets. Or sign Jeff Mathis. I'm just looking at defensive first types to pair with Narvaez behind the plate. Someone who could also work with Collins in Spring Training (if Collins is in big league camp which I kind of doubt).

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
I would like them to try to buy low on Plawecki. He may be odd-man out with d'Arnaud and Rivera behind the plate for the Mets. Or sign Jeff Mathis. I'm just looking at defensive first types to pair with Narvaez behind the plate. Someone who could also work with Collins in Spring Training (if Collins is in big league camp which I kind of doubt).

Mathis signed last week

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
Castillo signs with the O's. 1 year / $6M, with a $7M player option for year 2.

Not a bad deal. Even though he's pretty bad defensively, I would have loved that deal.

Yeah could have maybe flipped him. Still want Plawecki or trade Robertson for a package including Severino.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)

Not a bad deal. Even though he's pretty bad defensively, I would have loved that deal.

I would have taken that deal as well. You could do alot worse than a Castillo/Narvaez platoon

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
That's crazy, I kinda of want to see him in action now.

I read a few things talking about his size and I legitimately thought it had to be a typo. I've never heard of a catcher that size. Made me think. To answer the original question, I think of Austin Barnes as a guy I'd personally target...I thought we could get him dangling Frazier or Robertson, but now obviously less likely, unless it is in a bigger deal involving Q. I suppose they could have interest in Nate Jones in a set-up role though. Barnes needs to focus on catching still as he has defensive things he has to work on, but he looks like a guy who has a decent shot at being a very solid catcher (and he has other skill-sets in the sense that he can be a super sub, although on a rebuilding club, there is a lot of value seeing if he can stick behind the plate).

I wonder how much the Dodgers have "soured" on him given his lack of success during various cups of coffee over the past two years and whether we could even get him for a Putnam/Jennings type of guy. I say that because when it comes to relievers like that, I'm more then willing to move him for a guy who has a shot at being an everyday player (not saying there is a guarantee, but none of us would be shocked if Barnes was a late bloomer who become a good everyday catcher.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)
Collins will not end up as a catcher.

With us being in a rebuilding mode, the ability to be a bit more patient with his defensive development (vs. pushing to get his bat up to the show sooner vs. later) might allow us to have a longer rope in terms of seeing if Collins can stick. His value is greatly enhanced if he does stick at catcher though and the while the White Sox front office has struggled developing position players, I do think they have a decent track record at improving our catchers defensive capabilities (both Josh Phegley & more notably Tyler Flowers come to mind as guys who had pretty poor reputations who enhanced their values...not saying either were elite, but I do believe the Sox development team maximized the defensive skillsets of those particular players.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)

I'd rather take a shot on some guy or give it to our own options. If we bring in a veteran catcher on a FA move, I want them to be able to catch the ball and work great with pitchers. I could care less if they can hit cause we aren't winning in the next year or two, but they better be able to help develop our young arms. If we go with a younger guy who has bellied up, I'm more okay being a bit flexible, but we should still make sure we have a guy who can really do a good job handling the pitchers in game.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
I'd rather take a shot on some guy or give it to our own options. If we bring in a veteran catcher on a FA move, I want them to be able to catch the ball and work great with pitchers. I could care less if they can hit cause we aren't winning in the next year or two, but they better be able to help develop our young arms. If we go with a younger guy who has bellied up, I'm more okay being a bit flexible, but we should still make sure we have a guy who can really do a good job handling the pitchers in game.

I mostly agree, I really do want a veteran catcher who can handle pitchers though. I also don't care if they can hit, but unfortunately there aren't many Sandy Alomar Jr's on the market.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
I mostly agree, I really do want a veteran catcher who can handle pitchers though. I also don't care if they can hit, but unfortunately there aren't many Sandy Alomar Jr's on the market.

I could see them waiting out the market for a vet looking for a short term deal. Saltalamacchia, Iannetta, Soto, Thole, or Hundley could be left out in the cold and serve as a placeholder for the Sox.

Or they could go back to Navarro and Avila. :(

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 06:00 PM)
I could see them waiting out the market for a vet looking for a short term deal. Saltalamacchia, Iannetta, Soto, Thole, or Hundley could be left out in the cold and serve as a placeholder for the Sox.

Or they could go back to Navarro and Avila. :(

I could actually see an Avila reunion as possible and the only issue would be that Avila and Narvaez both bat left handed so there's no obvious day off for either of them. Avila shouldn't be playing every day, but he has some experience & wasn't awful last year.

No urge to see anything from Navarro though.