Catcher

Real

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
I'm kinda wondering if Severino has become an unhealthy obsession just because we are all familiar with him now. Is he that much better than the Astros catcher we just stuck in AAA?

He's pretty meh to me, but you could do worse. Fantastic defensive catcher with not much bat.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
I'm kinda wondering if Severino has become an unhealthy obsession just because we are all familiar with him now. Is he that much better than the Astros catcher we just stuck in AAA?

I agree Servino doesn't do much for me, catcher is such a hard postion to find that "guy" behind the plate. Between delveleping a bat along with good defensive, framing, and calling a game for an entire staff you wonder why every team in the leagues try's to hold onto these guys.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
I agree Servino doesn't do much for me, catcher is such a hard postion to find that "guy" behind the plate. Between delveleping a bat along with good defensive, framing, and calling a game for an entire staff you wonder why every team in the leagues try's to hold onto these guys.

Catching is at a huge premium because very few with a decent bat can stick at the position defensively. That is why we absolutely must be patient and try to develop Collins as a catcher

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Catching is at a huge premium because very few with a decent bat can stick at the position defensively. That is why we absolutely must be patient and try to develop Collins as a catcher

Agreed. I hope we stay patient with all these guys. Almost wish we didn't rush Anderson and/or Fulmer. It would be nice for Anderson to develope the chemistry with these new guys, in particular Moncada since they are going to be staples in the middle infield for years to come.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
Agreed. I hope we stay patient with all these guys. Almost wish we didn't rush Anderson and/or Fulmer. It would be nice for Anderson to develope the chemistry with these new guys, in particular Moncada since they are going to be staples in the middle infield for years to come.

We did not have a shortstop, and Anderson is mlb ready

I was really impressed with how he played defensively and really removed any doubts about his ability to stick at shortstop. If he can develop a bit more patience at the plate he will be an excellent player for us

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)

If he can become good at framing and gamecalling, even if everything else about his defense is average, and his bat plays the way it projects according to scouts, he'll be one of the top Catchers in baseball.

I guess what I'm wondering is this though - how much do we value this marginal upgrade:

Pena

.235 .273 .376 .650

Severino

.271 .316 .337 .653

I realize Severino has shown well in some ML games and Penas was between AA and AAA and the AA numbers were better.

But, why use Robertson on that if Pena is supposedly SEverino's defensive equal?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
If he can become good at framing and gamecalling, even if everything else about his defense is average, and his bat plays the way it projects according to scouts, he'll be one of the top Catchers in baseball.

This probably answers my question as I was not aware he had a projectable bat.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
I guess what I'm wondering is this though - how much do we value this marginal upgrade:

Pena

.235 .273 .376 .650

Severino

.271 .316 .337 .653

I realize Severino has shown well in some ML games and Penas was between AA and AAA and the AA numbers were better.

But, why use Robertson on that if Pena is supposedly SEverino's defensive equal?

Pena was a good pickup for his defense if anything. The bat is worthless, but we really really need some catching depth.

I still think we need a veteran though

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)

Pena

.235 .273 .376 .650

Severino

.271 .316 .337 .653

Is Pena supposed to be an elite defensive catcher?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
Don't we have a top prospect at catcher? Collins? No need to acquire anybody. Just plug in with some stiff during the rebuild and let Zack catch when we're good.

The jury is still out as to how good a catcher he can be. Nothing wrong in having two in your system, and today's catcher is tomorrow's DH/Left Fielder.