2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

I still don't buy the Madrigal smoke. I trust that KLaw heard correctly the Sox won't take him due to Moncada/Anderson.

I'm not sure these guys have much in the way of sources in the Sox.  I don't seem to remember anyone connecting the team with Burger last year, I guess I just take it all as worth a grain of salt and mostly as educated guessing and entertainment.  

51 minutes ago, fathom said:

I still don't buy the Madrigal smoke. I trust that KLaw heard correctly the Sox won't take him due to Moncada/Anderson.

Sox would be really foolish to not take a player based on the construction of the current MLB roster. I really hope they go BPA and worry about any logjams as they occur (if at all). Plus these guys can always be used as trade bait in the same manner the Yankees traded Rutherford last year.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

That doesn't make any sense not to take the player because of those 2.  Neither is elite (yet) .  And 2 isn't exactly depth.
You can always use up the middle players.
What doesn't make sense is reaching, drafting for position, drafting for "quick to the majors" and the like.

Edited by GreenSox

I agree with you guys, but I think this is more of a unique situation than usual. You have a 2b and SS who are supposed to be cornerstones of your team. In regards to Madrigal, he's not expected to need tons of minor league time. This wouldn't be like refusing to draft Turang because you already have Anderson.

Madrigal could also play the outfield or maybe even third. He likely doesn't have the prototypical corner of/3b power but if he hits 320 with 15 homers I can live with him there. He is pretty fast so he probably could be a good outfielder. Or you could put moncada in the outfield.

I think it is a good thing that this draft is pretty deep. No standout talent but between Bart, mize, singer, Boehm, madrigal there likely isn't a large talent gap. You can likely just pick one or even go by organisational need as there isn't really a consensus best player available. 

8 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I think it is a good thing that this draft is pretty deep. No standout talent but between Bart, mize, singer, Boehm, madrigal there likely isn't a large talent gap. You can likely just pick one or even go by organisational need as there isn't really a consensus best player available. 

Or you try to take advantage of the draft's depth and go with the best under-slot option at #4.  That's where I'm leaning if possible.

Chicago White Sox

12:20

How would you compare scouting grades of Madrigal & India?  Stats wise India has clearly been the superior player this year with the bat, but that obviously only tells a small part of the story.

Kiley McDaniel

12:21

India, for me, is 50 hit, 50 game power (55 raw), 50-55 glove, 55 arm. Probably 3B only, but you could try him at 2B, emergency only at SS

and 50 run

12:22

Madrigal is 60 hit, 40-45 game power, 60-70 run, 50 arm, 60 glove at 2B, chance to be average at SS if he gets more reps there but not a slam dunk. And the power could turn into 50 and the hit could turn into 70 depending on what sort of swing/approach he uses

12:23

You could still argue Madrigal is the best prospect in the draft and, for me, India isn't in the top 10.

Butts
12:24
Hearing anything with the ChiSox on India? Is he still an under-slot candidate at 4? Or has his rise played himself into slot value if selected that high?

Kiley McDaniel
12:25
Only team in the top 10 we've heard seriously considering him is 6/NYM

Jimmy
12:31
How polished is Brady Singer compared to AJ Puk or Alex Faedo?

Kiley McDaniel
12:31
He's kinda a finished product, just needs to throw his CH more. Puk was not a finished product in college and Faedo sorta was but wasn't as good as Singer.

31 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Chicago White Sox

12:20

How would you compare scouting grades of Madrigal & India?  Stats wise India has clearly been the superior player this year with the bat, but that obviously only tells a small part of the story.

Kiley McDaniel

12:21

India, for me, is 50 hit, 50 game power (55 raw), 50-55 glove, 55 arm. Probably 3B only, but you could try him at 2B, emergency only at SS

and 50 run

12:22

Madrigal is 60 hit, 40-45 game power, 60-70 run, 50 arm, 60 glove at 2B, chance to be average at SS if he gets more reps there but not a slam dunk. And the power could turn into 50 and the hit could turn into 70 depending on what sort of swing/approach he uses

12:23

You could still argue Madrigal is the best prospect in the draft and, for me, India isn't in the top 10.

Awesome, he answered my question on Madrigal & India!  And wow, does that improve my excitement level on a possible Madrigal pick! 

Snapper Bean
1:04
Seems like its starting to solidify as 1.  Mize 2. Bart 3. Bohm.  Agree or disagree?

Kiley McDaniel
SELL there's been some recent buzz that this top 3 projection may blow up, which we're trying to wrap our heads around

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:
Snapper Bean
Seems like its starting to solidify as 1.  Mize 2. Bart 3. Bohm.  Agree or disagree?

Kiley McDaniel
SELL there's been some recent buzz that this top 3 projection may blow up, which we're trying to wrap our heads around

Hmm.

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:
Snapper Bean

Kiley McDaniel

If it really does go that way, I think the Sox take Madrigal.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

If it really does go that way, I think the Sox take Madrigal.

Sounds like it might not go that way based on Kiley's response. I wonder who might be mixing it up and why. I'm guessing Giants?

Could be detroit. To me "blowing up" the top three means someone previously thought to be unavailable falls to teams that were planning on contingents. Though if mize falls, doesn't seem like giants would do anything but pluck mize next, and then seems like we just swapped 1-2 or something.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Could be detroit. To me "blowing up" the top three means someone previously thought to be unavailable falls to teams that were planning on contingents. Though if mize falls, doesn't seem like giants would do anything but pluck mize next, and then seems like we just swapped 1-2 or something.

That sounds more like a Kyle Shwarber situation where a guy no one has talked about jumps into the top at a nice under cap deal.

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That sounds more like a Kyle Shwarber situation where a guy no one has talked about jumps into the top at a nice under cap deal.

Yea.  I'm guessing it's under-slot rumors with Detroit? A few weeks back we heard that Kelenic might be an option there from a few different sources. The only other thing I can think of is Mize injury concerns?

I believe we are getting a new mock from Keith Law tomorrow, might be reflected there?

Edited by DirtySox

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Yea.  I'm guessing it's under-slot rumors with Detroit? A few weeks back we heard that Kelenic might be an option there from a few different sources. The only other thing I can think of it Mize injury concerns?

I believe we are getting a new mock from Keith Law tomorrow, might be reflected there?

It would make sense if it was tied to a red flag from Mize.

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Yea.  I'm guessing it's under-slot rumors with Detroit? A few weeks back we heard that Kelenic might be an option there from a few different sources. The only other thing I can think of is Mize injury concerns?

Lol...jumped on a call before I could finish my post, but Kelenic at #1 seems like the one thing that could really shake up the top of the draft.

Just now, Dam8610 said:

Is there some small glimmer of hope that the Sox get Mize?

Sure, ultimately we never know anything until they draft.

I hate rumoring injury concerns based on circumstantial evidence.