2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

12 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Don't believe so but still a good class nonetheless

Right and this is also the part of the year where all you hear are negatives so it seems like everyone sucks

Luckily teens who sexually abuse can be helped. There is an insanely high chance that it will never happen again (~90%) if they follow the right guidance and take the necessary steps to keep themselves and others safe.

As Dam8610 said, he could have been abused himself, or he was struggling with his sexuality. I never read his history so I don't know the details, however I have worked with many teenagers that have lived successful, healthy lives once they went through therapy.

Yeah its horrible and inexcusable, but a teenage boy who sexually offends is not the same as an adult. If he went to therapy, is doing EVERYTHING he needs to do to keep himself and children safe, and is now living a normal life, I would give him a shot. 

The more I have read about the players who could be there for the Sox, the more I think my top 3 (not including Mize as he is by all odds 1-1) I want to go with either Madrigral, India, or Bart.  I like the fact that all of them have minimal defensive questions, on top of any developmental questions.  It would be nice to have our top guy have a position locked down before we worry about turning him into a major leaguer.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The more I have read about the players who could be there for the Sox, the more I think my top 3 (not including Mize as he is by all odds 1-1) I want to go with either Madrigral, India, or Bart.  I like the fact that all of them have minimal defensive questions, on top of any developmental questions.  It would be nice to have our top guy have a position locked down before we worry about turning him into a major leaguer.

Same.  I'm totally on the draft the bats philosophy with 1st rounders.  Especially at the top. Since we've been ranking, my preference goes Madrigal, India, Bart, Bohm. I'd be all over Bohm if there was more consensus on him being able to stick at 3B.  I could flip/flop Madrigal and India if we assume there is notable savings by underslotting India.

Edited by DirtySox

Highly regarded out of national prep powerhouse American Heritage, India has been a mainstay in the Gators’ lineup since stepping foot on campus. After a solid, but unspectacular first two years in Gainesville, India entered the season as a potential late day one draft choice, but he’s since hit his way into the first round. Through 40 games, India’s .420/.551/.840 slash line leads the Southeastern Conference in each of those categories by sizable margins. India didn’t have his best showing over the weekend against Kentucky, going 2-for-10 with three walks and four strikeouts, though both of his hits did go for extra bases.

India has seen time at both third base and shortstop over his collegiate career, but he profiles best at the hot corner where his athleticism and above average arm will be an asset. Starting with a slightly open stance, with his hands in front and aligned with his back shoulder, India progresses into a moderate load that coincides with a high leg kick. Though he’s modestly sized at 6’0” and 200 pounds, India has torque and plus bat speed that produces above average raw power to all fields that plays in batting practice and in games. India struggled with pitch recognition in the Kentucky series, looking unbalanced and uncomfortable against off speed stuff away. When he’s at his best, India controls the barrel well, adequately covering the plate and making consistent hard contact.

Team’s find solace in the perceived safety of college bats, and India’s dominance in the toughest conference in the country likely means that he’ll likely be one of the first hitters off the board on June 4th.

https://2080baseball.com/draft-spotlight/jonathan-india/

https://mlbdraftcountdown.wordpress.com/2018/02/16/2018-draft-report-jonathan-india-3b-2b-florida/

This report has him listed at 3B and 2B.

Grades

Tool Present Future      
      Running Speed 55 55      
      Arm Strength 50 50      
      Hitting for Average 50 60      
      Hitting for Power 45 55      
      Fielding 45 55

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Highly regarded out of national prep powerhouse American Heritage, India has been a mainstay in the Gators’ lineup since stepping foot on campus. After a solid, but unspectacular first two years in Gainesville, India entered the season as a potential late day one draft choice, but he’s since hit his way into the first round. Through 40 games, India’s .420/.551/.840 slash line leads the Southeastern Conference in each of those categories by sizable margins. India didn’t have his best showing over the weekend against Kentucky, going 2-for-10 with three walks and four strikeouts, though both of his hits did go for extra bases.

India has seen time at both third base and shortstop over his collegiate career, but he profiles best at the hot corner where his athleticism and above average arm will be an asset. Starting with a slightly open stance, with his hands in front and aligned with his back shoulder, India progresses into a moderate load that coincides with a high leg kick. Though he’s modestly sized at 6’0” and 200 pounds, India has torque and plus bat speed that produces above average raw power to all fields that plays in batting practice and in games. India struggled with pitch recognition in the Kentucky series, looking unbalanced and uncomfortable against off speed stuff away. When he’s at his best, India controls the barrel well, adequately covering the plate and making consistent hard contact.

Team’s find solace in the perceived safety of college bats, and India’s dominance in the toughest conference in the country likely means that he’ll likely be one of the first hitters off the board on June 4th.

https://2080baseball.com/draft-spotlight/jonathan-india/

https://mlbdraftcountdown.wordpress.com/2018/02/16/2018-draft-report-jonathan-india-3b-2b-florida/

This report has him listed at 3B and 2B.

Grades

Tool Present Future      
      Running Speed 55 55      
      Arm Strength 50 50      
      Hitting for Average 50 60      
      Hitting for Power 45 55      
      Fielding 45 55

The obvious issue with India is the lack of track record. He was nowhere near this good in his freshman or sophomore season, and then largely came out of nowhere in 2018.

How much of this is reality vs. him having a "Career" year? I'm ok with Madrigal/India/Bohm being the guy for us. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

The obvious issue with India is the lack of track record. He was nowhere near this good in his freshman or sophomore season, and then largely came out of nowhere in 2018.

How much of this is reality vs. him having a "Career" year? I'm ok with Madrigal/India/Bohm being the guy for us. 

That's where I'm at right now in that order. It will be interesting to see what we do.

2 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

That's where I'm at right now in that order. It will be interesting to see what we do.

That is my current preferred order as well. Bohm is just such a big guy that I worry about his ability to stick at 3B longterm. I see him shifting to 1B eventually at 6'5", 240 lbs. 

Madrigal seems like the safest bet to hit at the mlb level. If he can develop a little more pop I think he could be a solid all around player up the middle. His stats and size remind of Dustin Pedroia with less pop. 

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That is my current preferred order as well. Bohm is just such a big guy that I worry about his ability to stick at 3B longterm. I see him shifting to 1B eventually at 6'5", 240 lbs. 

Madrigal seems like the safest bet to hit at the mlb level. If he can develop a little more pop I think he could be a solid all around player up the middle. His stats and size remind of Dustin Pedroia with less pop. 

Just to play devil's advocate here, Kris Bryant and Alec Bohm are just about the same size.  

54 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Witchita State website lsit Alec Bohm at 6'5 and 220 lbs

For those looking for something to watch with the Sox off, Georgia Tech faces Virginia on WatchESPN.  Joey Bart is in the mix at the top of the draft as we know.  Also, potential first/second rounder Jake McCarthy finally returns from being out since March 6th with a wrist injury. Snippet below.  BA has him ranked 33rd.

Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 195 | B-T: L-L | Commit/Drafted: Pirates '15 (23)
Scouting Report: The Virginia center fielder hasn’t been able to showcase his ability for most of the spring season, playing just 13 games because of a left wrist injury sustained in early March. As of April 26, McCarthy had yet to return to action, but he did hit .314/.446/.412 in his brief 13-game stint before the injury. Scouts and evaluators aren’t dinging him too much for the injury, as it’s not a chronic issue and his overall package and track record is impressive. With a strong return—whenever that may be—McCarthy could push himself into the first round as a college outfielder with a chance to play center field with above-average to plus speed. Missing this many games during a draft season is easier to tolerate with McCarthy because his history in the ACC and with a wood bat is so impressive. In 2017, McCarthy hit .338/.425/.506 with five home runs, 11 doubles and was seventh in the nation with seven triples. During the summer, McCarthy played 20 games with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team and also hit .387/.441/.613 in a nine-game stint in the Cape Cod League. He draws some comparisons to former Virginia outfielder Adam Haseley, with opinions on his defensive ability ranging from a no-doubt center fielder with some scouts to other evaluators thinking he merely has a chance to stick there. Where McCarthy winds up will depend on what he does once healthy, but there’s no denying he has an impressive body of work.

1 hour ago, PolishPrince34 said:

New mock draft on Fangraphs. Have Sox picking Madagril. Mentioned how they been all over him the past month. Have also shown interest in Swaggerty and Singer. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-2-0/

Bummer that they don't have any 2nd pick intel like some of the other teams. Also no mention of India in the White Sox blurb.

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

A lot easier to find another Quintana or Junior Guerra on the scrap heap than find a guy who can run, hit and field like Madrigal...

Right now the top 2b in baseball by fWAR are:

Jed Lowrie (scrap heap)
Asdrubal Cabrera (Scrap heap)
Ozzie Albies (International Free Agent)
Yoan Moncada (traded as a prospect, International Free Agent)
Robinson Cano (High priced free agent)
Daniel Robertson (traded to the Rays as part of Ben Zobrist deal years ago, drafted by the A's)
Cesar Hernandez (International Free Agent)
Jose Altuve (International Free Agent, now expensive)

I'm skeptical that your statement has any real support.

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-2-0/

Bummer that they don't have any 2nd pick intel like some of the other teams. Also no mention of India in the White Sox blurb.

Interesting that they have Hankins in the competitive balance round at 42.

Also, another Alek Thomas link to Cleveland at 29. That one has been very consistent in mocks across different publications.

Edited by DirtySox

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jed Lowrie (scrap heap)
Daniel Robertson (traded to the Rays as part of Ben Zobrist deal years ago, drafted by the A's)

There are some interesting items on that list.  Lowrie really isn't scrap heap, but he is having a career year at 34.  While it seems that most players taper off around 30, Cabrera found his stride at that age and we're seeing more and more of those kind of players.  It guess it's a lot of luck as to whether you can find one, but then again you make your own luck with good scouting.
Also notable is that most of those guys weren't drafted at all and were international free agents. If you look at the best position prospects the Sox acquired, they are international players.
I wonder if there's a study on scrap heap players: if the bounty strikes more on pitching or position players.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jed Lowrie (scrap heap)

Why do you assume he has to play 2B?   Where did I say that?

If you can find a player who can play 2B/SS/3B...runs and fields at a very high level, and is an excellent hitter to boot...they don’t exactly grow on trees.

Besides, by your argument, it SHOULD have been possible for the White Sox to easily supplement the core of Eaton/Sale/Q/Abreu with the likes of players listed above...IF IF IF it was so easy to do, then why couldn’t the Sox come close to managing that feat from 2009-2016?

You’re also leaving out the fact that NOW acquiring Albies, Moncada, Cano (contract) and Altuve would be prohibitively expensive for other teams.  

Btw, would you NOW support bringing in Lowrie at age 36 or Cabrera at age 32/33 to the White Sox next year, because you have included them on your list...?