Interview with Nick Hostetler, Scouting Director

NorthSideSox72

Our Brian Bilek got an interview with Nick Hostetler, Scouting Director, to talk about the rebuild. It's a wide-ranging interview, covering a ton of new guys (Moncada, Kopech, Dunning, Diaz), as well as current ones (Hansen, Burdi & more), and the front office generally with the new direction.

Read it here - this is pretty cool exclusive stuff.

Bless this paragraph.

This situation that we’re in now, we’re going to be able to slow down the process with a lot of these guys. Not just Zack Burdi but even guys like Zack Collins. We have a history of pushing guys and getting them to the big leagues quick but in this situation we’re in now, we’re not going to have to do that. That’s a benefit for our organization and the depth of our system for Getzy (Chris Getz) and Buddy and the guys running the development staff because now they have time to make some corrections and make some adjustments but at the same time it’s benefit for these young men because they’re going to be physically and mentally ready when they get to the big leagues. You can’t replace that development time with anything. It’s a win-win for us. I think the fruits of the labor are going to be very exciting. You can't replace that development time with anything.

Bless this paragraph.

This situation that we’re in now, we’re going to be able to slow down the process with a lot of these guys. Not just Zack Burdi but even guys like Zack Collins. We have a history of pushing guys and getting them to the big leagues quick but in this situation we’re in now, we’re not going to have to do that. That’s a benefit for our organization and the depth of our system for Getzy (Chris Getz) and Buddy and the guys running the development staff because now they have time to make some corrections and make some adjustments but at the same time it’s benefit for these young men because they’re going to be physically and mentally ready when they get to the big leagues. You can’t replace that development time with anything. It’s a win-win for us. I think the fruits of the labor are going to be very exciting. You can't replace that development time with anything.

The link to Victor Diaz is wrong, too.

Interesting to hear the names of the "brain trust" listed out in terms of all those actually diagnosing and discussing the videos.

Do we have that kind of brain trust on the hitting side? Who are the Hasler and Richard 280ZX Dotson on the position players like Moncada and Basabe?

What does Jeremy Haber do? Fabian's name came up...just curious about Haber's role, currently.

Hostetler didn't address Spencer Adams when his name was brought up...was that more because Hostetler chose to rave about Stephens instead or is there something else there?

Btw, Tumminia has a really cool non profit project related to teaching kids in poor countries about the game (supported by JR and MLB scouts)...pretty sure they've gone to Central America/Honduras, Kenya, India and China on mission trips, for lack of a better description. His daughter was a minor league GM and is married to former GM of the Red Sox Ben Cherington. Interesting sports-driven family.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
Bless this paragraph.

Things certainly seem way different. I was listening to the BA podcast as they were laughing at how Moncada and Kopech would definitely be in majors on opening day due to how aggressive we are. Guess that's changed.

I really want to know if we'd still have selected Burdi had we known we would be selling soon.

Great interview Brian! Your Hostetler interviews continue to be excellent. This is a probably a strange question, but when these guys are breaking down these pitchers analytically, are they looking at spin rates? I've seen some criticism of Giolito and Lopez having below average spin rates and while I dont necessarily think that is entirely a representative stat, it's definitely a little concerning. They both look like they get nice depth on their offspeed stuff, so it's probably not as much of a concern there, but in the video I was watching of both, Giolito's 4 seam looks incredibly straight while Lopez gets a little ride.

I like this a lot

The other thing was pure mental. He was never put in a position at Oklahoma where he’d get the ball and he was comfortable that he could get out of jams. His head was looking over his shoulder at who was warming up in the pen. The first time he pitched for us he walked a guy and looked at the pen and saw nobody was warming up. He could take a deep breath and realize we have confidence in him and we believe in him. That started from day one. It started with our area scout Clay Overcash convincing Alec that this was the right place for him.

I asked a source a few days ago, about the situation with the front office and the rebuild and they got back to me this morning. Just wanted to pass along a few of their comments for what it may be worth:

"Sounds like KW is showing a little more faith/support in Hahn."

"Also, I'm hearing Nick Hostetler now has the ear of Hahn and is more assertive."

Mark

I like the Victor Diaz stuff. Pretty cool to have two 100 mph RHP in the minors that soley project as relievers.

I've always maintained that a chief problem with the Sox in the last half decade has been their manic development of pitchers. Montas who wasn't durable enough to start was forced to keep starting games because that's where the value is, whereas someone like Fulmer who at least deserved a crack at starting was rushed the bigs as a reliever. And all of it was subject to change at a moment's notice depending on the needs of the big league club. This issue conspired with the total lack of pitching depth and the bullpen became an absolute mess. You can tell the Sox realize this with Hostetler's comments about keeping Burdi and Diaz as relievers and the admission that they rushed a lot of guys.

I doubt strongly we see anyone called up before Independence Day regardless of minor league performance.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
I like the Victor Diaz stuff. Pretty cool to have two 100 mph RHP in the minors that soley project as relievers.

I've always maintained that a chief problem with the Sox in the last half decade has been their manic development of pitchers. Montas who wasn't durable enough to start was forced to keep starting games because that's where the value is, whereas someone like Fulmer who at least deserved a crack at starting was rushed the bigs as a reliever. And all of it was subject to change at a moment's notice depending on the needs of the big league club. This issue conspired with the total lack of pitching depth and the bullpen became an absolute mess. You can tell the Sox realize this with Hostetler's comments about keeping Burdi and Diaz as relievers and the admission that they rushed a lot of guys.

I doubt strongly we see anyone called up before Independence Day regardless of minor league performance.

Good post. I do want to point out something, though - regarding starting guys like Montas, the White Sox will often have a handful of relief prospects starting in any given season. And the primary reason, I am told, is that they want them to get more reps and more innings to improve their non-fastball repertoires. You'll see them start for a season or two, then go back to the bullpen. Guys who are relievers that are in the system now who did that include Brad Goldberg, Matt Cooper, Brian Clark, Andre Wheeler and more. I know having spoken with some folks that those guys, the club knew there was a 95% chance they were relievers, but put them in that starting internship anyway.

One exception - they did this with Chris Bassitt too, but he turned out to be in the 5%. Which is another, smaller reason to do it.

OK that makes a little more sense than just hunting for value to the detriment of a guy's future. I'm guessing this practice is going to get out of style a little more as there are a lot fewer places to put these guys into starting rotations than there was a week ago.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
Good post. I do want to point out something, though - regarding starting guys like Montas, the White Sox will often have a handful of relief prospects starting in any given season. And the primary reason, I am told, is that they want them to get more reps and more innings to improve their non-fastball repertoires. You'll see them start for a season or two, then go back to the bullpen. Guys who are relievers that are in the system now who did that include Brad Goldberg, Matt Cooper, Brian Clark, Andre Wheeler and more. I know having spoken with some folks that those guys, the club knew there was a 95% chance they were relievers, but put them in that starting internship anyway.

One exception - they did this with Chris Bassitt too, but he turned out to be in the 5%. Which is another, smaller reason to do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diaz is in the starting rotation at Winston Salem. They could fast track him out of the bullpen though. Burdi, Diaz, and Ian Hamilton are all guys that could move really quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diaz is in the starting rotation at Winston Salem. They could fast track him out of the bullpen though. Burdi, Diaz, and Ian Hamilton are all guys that could move really quickly.

I really dont see the point in doing that with Diaz or Burdi. For one that 5% chance that NSS alluded to feels even less than 5% when it comes to those two. I also dont know how much better they can get at locating 100 mph fastballs, their primary asset as players, if they are racking up starters pitch counts in the minors.

I dont see much room for them in the rotation in Birmingham or Charlotte anyways.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)

Hostetler has already said we have the luxury now to be patient with these kids and not rush them. A change most of us gladly embrace.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)

I think doing that with Diaz is no different than when they did it with Leyer, as they are very similar, though Diaz I think has a slightly higher ceiling. In both cases though, the chances of them sticking as a starter are slim.

Burdi has a better shot to stick as a starter, but he's also near the majors and could be a fun reliever already in 2017. So it's a tough call with him. By assumption is he stays a reliever, but that could definitely change.

Excellent interview, Brian. Thank you for sharing.

There are so many reasons that this particular message board rocks, but getting insider's info straight from the proverbial horses' mouths is high on that list.

First time in ... like ... umm ... FOREVER ... that the Sox seem to have a clue on managing prospects for the overall good of the organization.