**2017 Films Thread** (Beware of spoilers)

caulfield12

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 18, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
Haha.

Maybe it's Amber Heard or her lawyer?

Part of the WannaCry virus hacking group?

It would be a shocker if that movie was actually any good in the first place. Oh, the irony of pirates stealing from pirates literally and figuratively (depending on your perspective regarding Disney and Johnny Depp going to the well one final time too often).

http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/17/zack-snyder-...ribbean-piracy/

LIFE was a nifty little sci-fi flick, albeit derivative and 95% predictable. At least more entertaining than I expected. Has an unusual twist/ending for those who haven't seen it, at least for typical Hollywood fare. Solid casting, too.

Kind of a mixture of Gravity and Aliens.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 22, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
Just saw the second Guardians of the Galaxy. My initial reaction is that it was at least as good as the first one. Kind of dreading their inclusion in the next Avengers movie.

I saw it the other night, and thought it paled in comparison to the first one. This second one felt like, as I think someone here noted earlier, a mashed together series of skits, only some of which landed well. The dialogue was clunky. They did make some characters more interesting, but others became plastic. Step down for me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 24, 2017 -> 06:21 AM)
I saw it the other night, and thought it paled in comparison to the first one. This second one felt like, as I think someone here noted earlier, a mashed together series of skits, only some of which landed well. The dialogue was clunky. They did make some characters more interesting, but others became plastic. Step down for me.

The Gamora and Nebula sibling rivalry turned "partnership" sucked as well...didn't feel earned.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2017 -> 08:31 PM)
Wow, can't believe Joshua gave a Pirates movie a thumb's up...

Stranger Tides, I think is what it was called, was brutal. Was hoping the new one would make up for it but majority of reviews are poor. Roeper liked it though.

Oh, misunderstood what he wrote....now I see he hasn't watched it yet.

Kaya Scodelario is the female lead, she can't be any worse than the girl who played the "mage" in King Arthur.

Guess I'll check it out Friday afternoon here in China.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ May 24, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
Stranger Tides, I think is what it was called, was brutal. Was hoping the new one would make up for it but majority of reviews are poor. Roeper liked it though.

Its really bad.

The newest one did get a lot of good reactions when they screened it at Cinema Con, didn't know the reviews were that bad.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2017 -> 08:31 PM)
Wow, can't believe Joshua gave a Pirates movie a thumb's up...

I really like the Pirates movies, my not so guilty-guilty pleasure

Edited by Joshua Strong

http://toofab.com/2017/05/15/2017-biggest-...hed-the-circle/

Biggest movie flops of the year so far...still have no idea what happened with Life, really enjoyed that one.

Pirates was better than I expected going into it. At least it was watchable. Was expecting truly awful, like CHIPs or Baywatch bad.

The Circle wasn't even one of Eggers' better works of fiction, wish they would make Zeitoun into a film, though.

The Beguiled remake earns Sofia Coppola best director award at Cannes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5592248/

Edited by caulfield12

Do you ever watch old movies on TV? I saw Butterflies are Free with Goldie Hawn and Edward Albert last night and found it fairly compelling. Then I watched the Odd Couple with Lemmon and Matheau and again was pleasantly stunned. Finally tonight I watched Paul Newman and Woodward and Anthony Perkins in a somewhat odd movie called WUSA. Were actors better in the old days? All 3 of these movies were well acted IMO. Have you seen any of these flicks? I'd give 3 of 4 stars to the first two mentioned and 2 of 4 to the third movie.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 06:58 PM)
I need Baby Driver in my life like now, it sure as s*** looks like Edgar Wright went full Edgar Wright and I am 100% down.

Co-sign. Early reviews get me more giddy.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
Is The Dark Tower going to be a series or are they going to cram 7 books into one movie?

Seems like the first point maybe, the second point no. This movie is going to be different, Eddy and Susannah won't even be in it