**2017 Films Thread** (Beware of spoilers)

caulfield12

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK SoxTalkers, help me out. The newest Planet of the Apes movie is coming out, and I am seeing lots of positive reviews. I've never seen any of them (other than the very old school original), because I can't get my head around the idea of liking what seems just so silly.

Are these actually good movies? Do I need to see earlier ones for the more recent ones to sink in?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)
OK SoxTalkers, help me out. The newest Planet of the Apes movie is coming out, and I am seeing lots of positive reviews. I've never seen any of them (other than the very old school original), because I can't get my head around the idea of liking what seems just so silly.

Are these actually good movies? Do I need to see earlier ones for the more recent ones to sink in?

I enjoy them. While you probably don't have to watch the first 2 to see this one but you might as well. I enjoyed both of them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)

I hated the original series from the 70's but have really enjoyed the reboot. I may have never actually said something like I enjoyed the reboot more than the original series, either. I mean it isn't the best thing ever, but it is definitely entertaining.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Loved both of the movies, and I am really looking forward to WotPotA

An oscar needs to be created specifically for Andy Serkis. His mo-cap work is amazing

The Oscar for Serkis stuff needs to stop.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:31 AM)

They are good movies that I think are worth seeing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
They are good movies that I think are worth seeing.

Agree. The James Franco one is great, 2nd one is good. Noticed the reviews of War are off the chain.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 9, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
Okja is very solid. Not best of year but very good.

Gylenhaal's overacting really knocked it out of Best Picture category, but very strong recent progress in Asian cinema. Snowpiercer, another example.

"Your Name" (Kimi No Na Wa), Japanese animation, also very well-received. Set box office records all over the place. Cool soundtrack.

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...

The Big Sick 3.75 out of 4 (excellent movie!)

Spider-Man (3.5 out of 4)

Still have to see Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver, Valerian (although Carla Delivigne does little to nothing for me, can't figure her cult status out quite yet) and Dunkirk is getting 97% at RT.com.

Simply can't miss Nolan movies these days.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 07:06 AM)
Going to see the big sick tonight

Watched Get Out and Lion on my last flight. I'd only recommend Lion from those two. I was in tears

The Big Sick > Lion > Get Out

Although if you want tearjerkers, Hidden Figures has them all beat/en. Can't go wrong with any of those four films, depending on your mood.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
The Big Sick > Lion > Get Out

Although if you want tearjerkers, Hidden Figures has them all beat/en. Can't go wrong with any of those four films, depending on your mood.

Lion had me in tears, I think its because i'm a father myself. Crying on the plane wasnt a good look.

Some movies just get you.

Field of Dreams, for similar reasons, the scene with Ray's father back to his younger days playing catch near the end.

Up!

Gladiator, the scene where Maximus turns around in the Colosseum and takes off his mask and stares down Commodus.

Beauty and the Beast

Hachi: A Dog's Tale (anyone with a dog, no way to watch that without getting emotional, much moreso than Marley & Me)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 08:06 AM)
Going to see the big sick tonight

Watched Get Out and Lion on my last flight. I'd only recommend Lion from those two. I was in tears

Get Out was my favorite film from last year.