2017 Watercooler TV thread

southsider2k5

Finished Stranger Things 2 last night.

It was more of the same to me, which isn't a bad thing. Other than the really bad/misplaced Eleven episode in Chicago (that apparently is set up for next season), I have no complaints. The show is limited in many ways, but the lab scene in the last episode was insanely intense (Rudy/Sam, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I didn't mind the new characters, though I was a little bummed they didn't add up to much. I was convinced at the start they were Paul Riser's kids. Then I thought maybe Max was special. But nope, just step-kids with identity issues. Lame.

Loved the Dustin/Steve pairing.

So what else is out there right now that people recommend? My wife and I are in need of a new one-hour show. We're about 6 episodes into the Deuce but it's a tough watch. It's so dirty and grimy and unappealing. Really well done, but I feel like I need a shower after I watch it.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)
Finished Stranger Things 2 last night.

It was more of the same to me, which isn't a bad thing. Other than the really bad/misplaced Eleven episode in Chicago (that apparently is set up for next season), I have no complaints. The show is limited in many ways, but the lab scene in the last episode was insanely intense (Rudy/Sam, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I didn't mind the new characters, though I was a little bummed they didn't add up to much. I was convinced at the start they were Paul Riser's kids. Then I thought maybe Max was special. But nope, just step-kids with identity issues. Lame.

Loved the Dustin/Steve pairing.

So what else is out there right now that people recommend? My wife and I are in need of a new one-hour show. We're about 6 episodes into the Deuce but it's a tough watch. It's so dirty and grimy and unappealing. Really well done, but I feel like I need a shower after I watch it.

I really liked Mindhunter. Punisher starts next weekend

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
I really liked Mindhunter. Punisher starts next weekend

I've seen a few of you guys recommend Mindhunter, i got through 2 episodes last night and maybe I'm just not feeling it. It was kinda tedious to get through because I found it pretty damn boring, the characters aren't very likeable IMO, and maybe I just had a different idea of what the show would be like. Does it get better as the season progresses or is the whole show like the first 2 episodes and it's just probably not for me?

Also concerning Punisher, next friday can't come soon enough.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 06:17 AM)
I've seen a few of you guys recommend Mindhunter, i got through 2 episodes last night and maybe I'm just not feeling it. It was kinda tedious to get through because I found it pretty damn boring, the characters aren't very likeable IMO, and maybe I just had a different idea of what the show would be like. Does it get better as the season progresses or is the whole show like the first 2 episodes and it's just probably not for me?

Also concerning Punisher, next friday can't come soon enough.

It gets way better once they start interviewing serial killers. The guy playing Ed Kemper is awesome. The characters are definitely hard to like at points but you start to understand why as it goes on, and there is this overarching feeling that something bigger is in the works

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
It gets way better once they start interviewing serial killers. The guy playing Ed Kemper is awesome. The characters are definitely hard to like at points but you start to understand why as it goes on, and there is this overarching feeling that something bigger is in the works

Yes I was pretty impressed with the actor playing Ed Kemper, pretty damn spot on. I will go through 2 more episodes and give it a final shot I guess, too much smoke for there not to be fire.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)
Don't know if I am the only one here, but Vikings on History will be back at the of the month. I love the series,

Watched the whole series this past spring. Not a fan of the later seasons as much but looking forward to it.

Lagertha does it for me.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
Yes I was pretty impressed with the actor playing Ed Kemper, pretty damn spot on. I will go through 2 more episodes and give it a final shot I guess, too much smoke for there not to be fire.

Fair warning, nothing really BIG happens this season, it's like an intro/build up season. Left me wanting a lot more (in a good way), but I could see how people wouldn't be interested in it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 8, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
Commercial free Mr. Robot tonight. They've added quite a few F-bombs this season. Basic cable is essentially becoming like HBO.

That was a great episode. The commercial free showing really added to the tension. Then the ending was jarring.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
That was a great episode. The commercial free showing really added to the tension. Then the ending was jarring.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Watching it tonight. Really looking forward to it.

Well that was fun as heck. I love when directors try doing those long, continuous shots even though it was obviously stitched in some spots.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
Fair warning, nothing really BIG happens this season, it's like an intro/build up season. Left me wanting a lot more (in a good way), but I could see how people wouldn't be interested in it.

The finale tho, pretty awesome

American Vandal is Netflix's new sleeper hit this year. It's so funny and so smart. The style of humor may not be for everyone, but if you're not dying laughing in the first 10-15 minutes, you'll know it's not for you. If you liked Serial and Making a Murderer, this is an excellent parody of both.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 01:21 AM)
American Vandal is Netflix's new sleeper hit this year. It's so funny and so smart. The style of humor may not be for everyone, but if you're not dying laughing in the first 10-15 minutes, you'll know it's not for you. If you liked Serial and Making a Murderer, this is an excellent parody of both.

I started watching it, laughed a lot, but towards the end of the first episode I wasn't sure if I wanted an entire season of a parody.

How did it hold up?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 01:21 AM)

The trailer for that had me dying laughing but I completely forgot about it. Happy you brought it up because I think I'll start that up soon now.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
I started watching it, laughed a lot, but towards the end of the first episode I wasn't sure if I wanted an entire season of a parody.

How did it hold up?

I watched the first one and thought it was fine. Totally forgot to go back to it. Had to finish Fuller H....I mean Stranger Things.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)

How did it hold up?

Brilliance of the show is they use the "serial" template so effectively you start to forget that the premise is so stupid and really want to know who did it. It's funny throughout but it's not relying on just making fun of the whodunnit genre.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
Brilliance of the show is they use the "serial" template so effectively you start to forget that the premise is so stupid and really want to know who did it. It's funny throughout but it's not relying on just making fun of the whodunnit genre.

Yeah, it does shift from total parody and absurd humor to a bit more serious down the stretch. The whole thing comes in at around 4 1/2 hours so it's not a huge investment compared to some shows. The dialogue and the characters are excellent for high school. Few shows get high school as right as they did.

Mr Robot

Holy crap! Despite all of Elliot's efforts stage 2 finally happened. Unlike season one where (IIRC) they waited until the last episode, we are only about 2/3 of the way through the season. Should be interesting to see what the fallout from this is.

I've noticed they seem to be making a lot of references to time travel as well. Hence the Back to the Future cartoon. Is that what Angela believes that is the endgame here? That they can just simply undo everything that's happened including the deaths of her mom and Elliot's dad?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
Mr Robot

Holy crap! Despite all of Elliot's efforts stage 2 finally happened. Unlike season one where (IIRC) they waited until the last episode, we are only about 2/3 of the way through the season. Should be interesting to see what the fallout from this is.

I've noticed they seem to be making a lot of references to time travel as well. Hence the Back to the Future cartoon. Is that what Angela believes that is the endgame here? That they can just simply undo everything that's happened including the deaths of her mom and Elliot's dad?

Yeah that was awesome. I'm not sure if

White Rose was just messing with Angela to convince her to go along or if there's something to the alternate timeline(s) / time traveling thing. I've also been reading that Price is likely her real father which would explain why he's been so creepily interested in her.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)

I've also been reading that Price is likely her real father which would explain why he's been so creepily interested in her.

I've read that as well. It's not something that's ever crossed my mind, but I guess it could make sense. Apparently Esmail had said that there is a big reveal or secret that he's surprised nobody has guessed yet. That may be what he's talking about.