Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Keller-Newman-Glasnow+1 is the best deal on the table I have no problem waiting until the eve of ST to take that deal. That's a decent, definitely not great, return. Its still probably better than what they get at the deadline or next offseason. This is why I'm not "sky is falling" over anything, its entirely possible that Hahn is just playing chicken.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
The Astros are out because their GM said so? We have no idea who is out and who isn't.

No. They are all out. The Sox are stuck with Jose Quintana. If anyone ranks pitchers and he doesn't get ranked in the top 5 or 10, whoever is ranking them is a fool. And if RH values him like a top 5 or 10, he is asking for way too much. I mean, he's only signed for 4 more years. Take what you can get, and be done with it. There is no time to spare. Pitchers and catchers report in a month.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
I could argue that Meadows and Glasnow is a better haul than the Sale deal. No chance that happens for Q IMO.

Meadows has had injury problems, whereas Moncada has been healthy as far as I know. That does play a factor in prospect value.

Glasnow's upside is considerable, but some scouts appear to be down on him because the control has not really developed and he still walks too many batters.

Meadows + Glasnow is similar in return to Moncada + Kopech. It's arguable which is a "better" return, but Kopech is three years younger than Glasnow and still has quite a bit of projection left.

Moncada > Meadows, not by a massive margin, but the injury history certainly gives Moncada the edge

Glasnow > Kopech right now, but not by a huge margin

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
well astros are out and looks like pirates too.

Astros are "out" until they pick up the phone and call Hahn whenevr they choose

Boston was thought to be out on Sale, until they weren't

For a top prospect like Glasnow, scouts sure seem pretty split on him. If the Sox' scouts and coaches aren't sold, then he's not much of a headliner. Plain and simple. We're not just going by prospect rankings here. It's entirely possible the Sox just don't like him all that much. If the Sox value him as a top 10 prospect, I suspect a deal would probably be done by now.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
No. They are all out. The Sox are stuck with Jose Quintana. If anyone ranks pitchers and he doesn't get ranked in the top 5 or 10, whoever is ranking them is a fool. And if RH values him like a top 5 or 10, he is asking for way too much. I mean, he's only signed for 4 more years. Take what you can get, and be done with it. There is no time to spare. Pitchers and catchers report in a month.

Your hyperbole is unbearable sometimes. Literally nobody is saying this.

Except for maybe that Con te Giolito dude on the rankings. Which is just dumb.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
I think he's being sarcastic.

I understood that. He's exaggerating what other people are arguing for and being sarcastic in the same post. The two arent mutually exclusive.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
I understood that. He's exaggerating what other people are arguing for and being sarcastic in the same post. The two arent mutually exclusive.

Why would anyone even argue?

Unless you know exactly what has been turned down, you have nothing to argue about.

As far as I can tell, not one poster here has any idea what the White Sox have said no to yet. But there are huge problems. It's ridiculous.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)

Unless you know exactly what has been turned down, you have nothing to argue about.

As far as I can tell, not one poster here has any idea what the White Sox have said no to yet. But there are huge problems. It's ridiculous.

It is really just a couple posters, and one in particular.

And this is where I agree with Dick Allen.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
For a top prospect like Glasnow, scouts sure seem pretty split on him. If the Sox' scouts and coaches aren't sold, then he's not much of a headliner. Plain and simple. We're not just going by prospect rankings here. It's entirely possible the Sox just don't like him all that much. If the Sox value him as a top 10 prospect, I suspect a deal would probably be done by now.

Glasnow on his own is not a good enough prospect to headline a Quintana deal

5.2 BB/9 in the minors this season does not make anyone warm and fuzzy about his control developing. I am not saying he can't or will not improve, but right now he seems like the kind of pitcher that will rack up a bunch of k's, but also a bunch of 5+ walk games leading to maddening inconsistency

Glasnow + Keller + Newman + one more is not the right package for the White Sox. We need at least one premium bat and one premium arm coming back to us in order to deal Quintana

Something along the liens of: Meadows + Glasnow + Diaz + Comp Balance Pick for Quintana

I think there's definitely an argument to be made about how long he should wait. No one is arguing that just because Spring Training is around the corner it's game over. I personally dont like the chances after the Trade Deadline.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
If rumbunter's right and Hahn had/has the deal on the table, good for him for holding out. Meadows / Bell / Keller and Q is in the black and gold.

I don't think the Pirates are willing to trade Bell as they view his bat as being essential to the middle of their order moving forward