Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
Even if you throw out the division aspect, I don't see them having a top end position player future star that would catch the Sox interest.

Makes zero sense...but it would probably be some combination of Cuthbert (who they might DH and need for 3b in the future), Strahm (who they need this year), Zimmer (Mr. Injury) and Mondesi Jr. (stock is down).

If they could acquire also Cain and get him to sign an extension foregoing free agency, but that realistically won't happen.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
I normally agree with this but I actually think it's wrong. Three 55 FV bats seem to have much higher value on marketplace.

I agree, and I think it was Fangraphs that put out an article about how if you put prospects into buckets of 10 (1-10, 11-20, etc.), pitching prospects have historically been as valuable as hitting prospects ranked in the next bucket down due to the increased risk. So a 55 FV bat might well be as valuable as a 60 FV pitcher.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
Whoa, missed that Glasnow featured as one of their best starters.

Considering how willing they are to part with him, I don't think the Pirates agree.

Put me in the "Pirates are a bad fit" camp.

All the same, I don't think the Sox should make sacrifices in deals simply because it's pitching heavy. They've shown an aptitude towards developing pitchers, with little towards developing hitters (Tim Anderson being the best in a long time).

They should get players they feel create the best package possible, position be damned.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
All the same, I don't think the Sox should make sacrifices in deals simply because it's pitching heavy. They've shown an aptitude towards developing pitchers, with little towards developing hitters (Tim Anderson being the best in a long time).

They should get players they feel create the best package possible, position be damned.

They haven't been that adept at developing pitchers either. What above average major league pitchers have come out of the system in the last 5 years? Nate Jones; maybe Reed in that time period. Rodon, but he was drafted #3. Santiago, if one stretches the term "above average" a bit.

I think that poor scouting and talent evaluation (of pitchers and hitters) is at least as critical an issue as development.

Anyway, the Sox need position prospects; they could take pitchers and then trade pitching prospects for hitting prospects later on, if the FO has it in them to do that.

Baseball in general, and the Sox have reached a pretty large low in the trading fronts ... or maybe that's just my take. I thought by now we'd hear a lot more not just on Q but all the other pieces. I know we don't have to trade them all at once and maybe even a Robertson or Frazier is better to wait on to hopefully build more value, but man is this slow.

Leave it to the Sox to do a half assed tear down like they did a half ass run at the playoffs.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)

And then what? Let their value go to s*** because you don't have enough spots in the rotation in a year or two - so you're either moving SP prospects to the bullpen out of necessity, or you're keeping them in AAA because there is no room?

Again, I am not saying the Sox should take less in a trade to get a bat. But the headliner in a Q deal should be a bat. I don't mind taking back another pitching prospect, but I want multiple bats for Q.

Taking a Glasnow, Keller, Newman + package, and saying f*** it, we'll acquire hitters later from our excess pitching is going to bite us in the ass down the line.

Baseball in general, and the Sox have reached a pretty large low in the trading fronts ... or maybe that's just my take. I thought by now we'd hear a lot more not just on Q but all the other pieces. I know we don't have to trade them all at once and maybe even a Robertson or Frazier is better to wait on to hopefully build more value, but man is this slow.

Leave it to the Sox to do a half assed tear down like they did a half ass run at the playoffs.

Jeez, a lot of you guys need to just take a deep breath and let the baseball off season do it's thing. It's been very slow, we have no idea what offers Hahn *really* has on the table right now. I'm not sure, but I highly doubt that most GMs are sitting here working tooth and nail over a trade every single day of the off season. Just let things be, it's still January, only.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2017-zips-p...sburgh-pirates/

Not sure if posted yet.

Of note, Meadows already projected as a 2 WAR player, Newman as average.

Rotation sure would look a lot nicer with a 4 war player, giving them 13 WAR from their staff.

That article just shows me that they are still a ways off even with Q. Maybe they can compete with the Cardinals...maybe.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)

Given that the Sox should be trying to trade every competent vet (except for Rodon) off of the Major League roster, yes it has been slow. But I would say that most of the guys, except for Q and maybe Abreu, are better traded in July. That would require the Sox to heavily participate in the July market, which they should be up for that this year.

Q needs to be moved before the season, however.

No idea what the Sox are asking are what they teams are offering; but demanding young players who have already had a ML impact is howling at the moon. This rebuild should be relatively quick, but not because they are getting all ML ready players or withholding some of their ML players to try to stay "competitive". It should be quick because they have so much ML value to trade.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 04:55 PM)
Given that the Sox should be trying to trade every competent vet (except for Rodon) off of the Major League roster, yes it has been slow. But I would say that most of the guys, except for Q and maybe Abreu, are better traded in July. That would require the Sox to heavily participate in the July market, which they should be up for that this year.

Q needs to be moved before the season, however.

No idea what the Sox are asking are what they teams are offering; but demanding young players who have already had a ML impact is howling at the moon. This rebuild should be relatively quick, but not because they are getting all ML ready players or withholding some of their ML players to try to stay "competitive". It should be quick because they have so much ML value to trade.

I'm surprised we haven't heard a whisper about these vets. These guys should be gone. I'd personally try to package them together and / or trade them and eat as much salary as possible to try and get the best talent back as possible. Plus, I'd like them off the roster so we can tank as much as possible for drafting purposes. Makes no sense to try and be competitive this year.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)

So far the half booty tear down has garnered us the top prospect in all of baseball, and three of the top ten right handed pitching prospects. This effort has far exceeded the half tushy efforts they made to try and get to the playoffs the past few years.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
So far the half booty tear down has garnered us the top prospect in all of baseball, and three of the top ten right handed pitching prospects. This effort has far exceeded the half tushy efforts they made to try and get to the playoffs the past few years.

Give him a break. His user name is Brian Anderson. He's accustomed to failure.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
And then what? Let their value go to s*** because you don't have enough spots in the rotation in a year or two - so you're either moving SP prospects to the bullpen out of necessity, or you're keeping them in AAA because there is no room?

Again, I am not saying the Sox should take less in a trade to get a bat. But the headliner in a Q deal should be a bat. I don't mind taking back another pitching prospect, but I want multiple bats for Q.

Taking a Glasnow, Keller, Newman + package, and saying f*** it, we'll acquire hitters later from our excess pitching is going to bite us in the ass down the line.

The Cubs have a guy who is capable of starting at 2B, SS, or 3B sitting on their bench in Javier Baez who is blocked at all 3 spots. That won't affect how much they ask for him.

The idea that a surplus in current assets diminishes their value is silly. If the Sox have fifteen starting pitching prospects who each have a FV of 65 doesn't mean that they are then going to trade each of them for nothing. If those players are just as highly coveted for their talent and ability by other organizations as they are the White Sox, opposing teams will still give up a lot to trade for them. The Sox may be more particular in which players they'd acquire in such a deal, as it would likely be a 1 for 1 deal (or, if a proven major leaguer, 2 for 1 or even 3 for 1).

And, in response to "not getting hitters is going to bite the Sox in the ass," I would say that acquiring prospects based on need at the major league level in year 1 of the rebuild will also bite the Sox in the ass. Acquire the most valuable assets possible and start looking towards needs in years 2 and 3.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 05:37 PM)
Jeez, a lot of you guys need to just take a deep breath and let the baseball off season do it's thing. It's been very slow, we have no idea what offers Hahn *really* has on the table right now. I'm not sure, but I highly doubt that most GMs are sitting here working tooth and nail over a trade every single day of the off season. Just let things be, it's still January, only.

I think the Freedom of Information Act should apply here.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)

Other than Soler, what elite Cubs' prospect has lost value for this reason?

Vogelbach? Fringey.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
Other than Soler, what elite Cubs' prospect has lost value for this reason?

Vogelbach? Fringey.

Vogelbach is viewed as a hit only prospect with no real glove and questions as to whether his power will ever develop and he (along with Paul Blackburn) was still turned into a good left handed reliever with potential to start.

And Soler struggled at the MLB level, which is where he lost his value. Had they traded him two years ago, he could have been part of a package for a star player. Frankly, he was still the sole player involved for a guy who may be the best reliever in the game when he's healthy.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 04:53 PM)
That article just shows me that they are still a ways off even with Q. Maybe they can compete with the Cardinals...maybe.

The Cards could beat a Pirates offer that didn't include Bell or Meadows. They could go something like Reyes, Bader, Perez, and someone like Carson Kelly.