2017 International Signings

NCsoxfan

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
That was also before the current signing structure which would have meant losing their international signings freedoms.

I'm not saying they will sign this guy, but I think your stance of it being 100% out of the realm of possibility isn't accurate. Heck, when FutureSox interviewed Capra, he made clear they tend to like getting a bunch of guys few a few hundred K instead of a million most of the time, and then just once in a while break the bank. That's pretty much this exact scenario - sign a guy like this and blow through the pool once, then spend two years getting guys for 200 or 300k. Add to that the fact that Badler is more connected in this realm than anyone, and he's hinting hard... I think there's a very real chance it happens.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Actually, if you read the article, he mentions the Padres or Cardinals would seem to be the favorites pre-June 15 and Sox would seem to be the favorites after July 2 due to having more money to work in the hard cap period.

Which makes sense, as if the Sox want to blow the limit, better to do it at the beginning of a period so you can go ham. My statement still stands though - dismissing the Sox out of hand because of history doesn't really work in this case. Pessimism I understand, but I don't think you can say this is not going to happen.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
Which makes sense, as if the Sox want to blow the limit, better to do it at the beginning of a period so you can go ham. My statement still stands though - dismissing the Sox out of hand because of history doesn't really work in this case. Pessimism I understand, but I don't think you can say this is not going to happen.

What exactly do you mean by "go ham?" They can't go past their allotment. Suck they were never able to take advantage of the old system.

Edited by soxfan2014

The last 2 years Baseball America-Ben Badler has been 39/40 accurate with making the right call on each international signing from the Top 20 players. When it's coming from Badler you know it's legit. Will be a huge addition to the Sox rebuild. Too bad White Sox couldn't of capitalized on this by signing more players earlier in the period if he falls before the 6/15 deadline.

Edited by PolishPrince34

The Sox would seemingly have a far better shot if he were cleared after June 15th. Before, all it takes is someone to offer a Moncada contract and that's that.

But if the money is about the same, the Sox might be dealing from a position of strength with a young Cuban. Not mentioning Minnie, but the recent big time Cuban players with some White Sox influence, Contreras, El Duque a little, Alexei, Abreu, now Moncada, might make the team very attractive. Of course most teams have a lot of Cuban players now either in the majors or minors and he may have someone in the STL or SD system that he's close to.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
I'm not saying they will sign this guy, but I think your stance of it being 100% out of the realm of possibility isn't accurate. Heck, when FutureSox interviewed Capra, he made clear they tend to like getting a bunch of guys few a few hundred K instead of a million most of the time, and then just once in a while break the bank. That's pretty much this exact scenario - sign a guy like this and blow through the pool once, then spend two years getting guys for 200 or 300k. Add to that the fact that Badler is more connected in this realm than anyone, and he's hinting hard... I think there's a very real chance it happens.

Well, and not to mention, but the timing, for goodness sakes. This is a team at the beginning end of a rebuild, and an organization bereft of talented position players, both at the Major and minor league levels. As such, this guy being available at this particular time makes perfect sense for this organization to try and obtain based on where they're at right now.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
What exactly do you mean by "go ham?" They can't go past their allotment. Suck they were never able to take advantage of the old system.

They are still on last year's, so what he is saying is if they were going to blow it and get the penalty, spending more earlier would be the play. And he is correct. The only thing is, if he doesn't clear until later, you have zero shot. Assuming they don't have any big agreements not yet know for the next signing period, they are one of the few teams that can be in either way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
They are still on last year's, so what he is saying is if they were going to blow it and get the penalty, spending more earlier would be the play. And he is correct. The only thing is, if he doesn't clear until later, you have zero shot. Assuming they don't have any big agreements not yet know for the next signing period, they are one of the few teams that can be in either way.

I misread what he said completely. For some reason I thought he was saying Sox could sign him early next period and then go ham after. I understand and get everything you said. Misinterpretation on my part in my cubicle haha

Edited by soxfan2014

IMO, the Sox have a better shot of signing him now than waiting until the next signing period. Unless I'm mistaken, under the new rules there are multiple teams that could theoretically end up with higher budgets than us and therefore could make bigger offers. I don't think we can really bank on an amateur free agent taking less money to play for us.

Right now, however, there is no theoretical limit to what we can spend as long as we're willing to endure the penalties. And if the money is equal between us and another team, I think the Abreu/Moncada would likely result in a tie-breaker. With some of the biggest spenders in the game unable to sign him, it simply makes too much sense to do whatever it takes to land this kid, especially as a rebuilding team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)

If he is cleared before the 6/15 cutoff, Every good reason the Sox could have to sign him, someone else out there has a better reason to outbid the White Sox. Even if you want to make the giant leap of faith that the Sox would be willing to break their caps for the first time ever, there are teams who have already blown through their caps who are bigger spenders who are more likely to make large bids, and even outbid the White Sox here.

That is without getting into the fact that this would be a 180 degree shift from their history here.

I get that Balder is writing something here, but there just seems a lot he is leaving out of the story.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Actually, if you read the article, he mentions the Padres or Cardinals would seem to be the favorites pre-June 15 and Sox would seem to be the favorites after July 2 due to having more money to work in the hard cap period.

Post July 2nd, where the hard cap comes in to play, more teams are eliminated from bidding big, and the money becomes very close between all of the teams, the White Sox chances go up by a large amount. The White Sox have an incredible case to sell Robert on, once money is largely eliminated.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
Post July 2nd, where the hard cap comes in to play, more teams are eliminated from bidding big, and the money becomes very close between all of the teams, the White Sox chances go up by a large amount. The White Sox have an incredible case to sell Robert on, once money is largely eliminated.

I do agree the chances go up if his eligibility is delayed. But, the teams the White Sox would really competing with are the teams that went over, those are Hou, Oak, Atl, STL, Wash, SD, Cin,

Considering Houston was supposedly up against a wall financially with getting another pitcher, and Robertson's contract was an issue with Washington, that leaves Oak, Atl, Stl, SD, and Cin.

I am basing this on the biggest bonus given during the period was $11 million, so he would get more and double that with the penalty. If JR is willing, and Hostetler thinks he is great, and they aren't committed to anyone over $300k, and who knows if these other teams are, they have a decent shot.

Of course, later is a better bet because the price tag comes way down.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
I misread what he said completely. For some reason I thought he was saying Sox could sign him early next period and then go ham after. I understand and get everything you said. Misinterpretation on my part in my cubicle haha

Sorry, I wrote it strangely, now that I read it again. My bad. What I meant to say was, yes, if he clears before 6/15 (who knows if that happens or not), the Sox have every reason to go big and sign him, and I'm guessing they will be very much in the mix. If he clears after, then the Sox have a very good shot at him in the same way they were able to get a lot better Rule 4 draft picks when those rules changed. Either way, the Sox are in it, and it makes a ton of sense to go get him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
If he is cleared before the 6/15 cutoff, Every good reason the Sox could have to sign him, someone else out there has a better reason to outbid the White Sox. Even if you want to make the giant leap of faith that the Sox would be willing to break their caps for the first time ever, there are teams who have already blown through their caps who are bigger spenders who are more likely to make large bids, and even outbid the White Sox here.

That is without getting into the fact that this would be a 180 degree shift from their history here.

I get that Balder is writing something here, but there just seems a lot he is leaving out of the story.

The Sox haven't done a rebuild like this since the late 1990's. The amateur scouting department has new leadership that has so far shown they don't do things the old ways - in fact they went into penalty range in the Rodon draft. The Sox have less teams to compete with due to current penalties for some teams. The team is projecting to dramatically decrease MLB payroll in this rebuild. The attitudes in the front office have shifted.

While it's silly to say the Sox WILL do it, I think in this case it's equally silly to say 100% they won't.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
Sorry, I wrote it strangely, now that I read it again. My bad. What I meant to say was, yes, if he clears before 6/15 (who knows if that happens or not), the Sox have every reason to go big and sign him, and I'm guessing they will be very much in the mix. If he clears after, then the Sox have a very good shot at him in the same way they were able to get a lot better Rule 4 draft picks when those rules changed. Either way, the Sox are in it, and it makes a ton of sense to go get him.

The Sox haven't done a rebuild like this since the late 1990's. The amateur scouting department has new leadership that has so far shown they don't do things the old ways - in fact they went into penalty range in the Rodon draft. The Sox have less teams to compete with due to current penalties for some teams. The team is projecting to dramatically decrease MLB payroll in this rebuild. The attitudes in the front office have shifted.

While it's silly to say the Sox WILL do it, I think in this case it's equally silly to say 100% they won't.

Nah you were fine all along, I think I just quickly glanced at it the first time.

It's easy to understand anyone being skeptical the Sox would go after this guy, especially if it would cost them more than $4 million because they just haven't done it. Athough they did give Viciedo $10 million. Borchard was the highest bonused player in MLB history for several years.

There are some that still don't believe the White Sox are in a rebuild. They think they wanted to rid themselves of players who love the Drake. Of course the question they would have to answer is if that were true, why did they not acquire one Opening Day 2017 major leaguer in either of the deals?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
The Sox can't shy away from this opportunity because he "might" be Jorge Soler 2.0

These guys with insane upside don't grow on trees, he's well worth the risk even if he amounts to nothing.

Comparing him to Soler wasn't an insult.

And if they sign him before 6/15, they won't be able to compete at all for the next two years, which means that advantage is largely wasted.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
And if they sign him before 6/15, they won't be able to compete at all for the next two years, which means that advantage is largely wasted.

They still will have their pool. They just won't be able to spend more than $300k on any individual player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
They still will have their pool. They just won't be able to spend more than $300k on any individual player.

Exactly. They could theoretically sign 10 players for 300K each and then trade 1.75 million in slot money for a prospect.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)

Yeah exactly, and the Sox have said via Paddy that they like getting a bunch of those few hundred K guys anyway. Yes you miss out on the zero to two guys a year the Sox sign between 301k and a million or so for two years. But that isn't a huge loss, with the way the Sox usually do their signings.