2017 International Signings

NCsoxfan

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a dumb question - but what if the Sox sign Robert to a 6 year deal and he spends the first two years in the minors? Would he only have 4 years left on his deal when he is brought up to the bigs? Similar question has come up with friends when discussing Moncada's contract. I know for Abreu he was signed for the 6/68 but he didn't spend any time in the minors so this didn't impact him.

QUOTE (pablo @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
Maybe a dumb question - but what if the Sox sign Robert to a 6 year deal and he spends the first two years in the minors? Would he only have 4 years left on his deal when he is brought up to the bigs? Similar question has come up with friends when discussing Moncada's contract. I know for Abreu he was signed for the 6/68 but he didn't spend any time in the minors so this didn't impact him.

The money would be a signing bonus. He would have the same control as if he were a draft pick and would go through the arbitration process.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
Baseball America‏Verified account @BaseballAmerica 27m27 minutes ago

More

The #WhiteSox look like the favorites to land 🇨🇺star prospect Luis Robert: http://bit.ly/2mdDaaR

The other thing (besides the idea that the Sox are going to do a complete 180 on what they have always done) that doesn't make sense to me here is why a team that is already over for the 2016-17 period wouldn't be willing to outspend the White Sox for this guy if he is the next Moncada?

QUOTE (pablo @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)

You can't sign these players to major league deals anymore. It is a minor league deal with a signing bonus that counts towards your international signing pool.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
The other thing (besides the idea that the Sox are going to do a complete 180 on what they have always done) that doesn't make sense to me here is why a team that is already over for the 2016-17 period wouldn't be willing to outspend the White Sox for this guy if he is the next Moncada?

Yeah the Padres could continue adding to their stacked 2016-2017 international class. This is true. I would honestly put them as favorites over us.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
You can't sign these players to major league deals anymore. It is a minor league deal with a signing bonus that counts towards your international signing pool.

Ahhhh thank you gentlemen - much appreciated.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
Yeah the Padres could continue adding to their stacked 2016-2017 international class. This is true. I would honestly put them as favorites over us.

The Nationals are a big spending team out of the bunch that is over for this year. They know this is their last shot at prime players for two years (if cleared before 6/15)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
The Nationals are a big spending team out of the bunch that is over for this year. They know this is their last shot at prime players for two years (if cleared before 6/15)

Ted Lerner doesn't even want to spend money on David Robertson. I doubt he gives the go ahead for more international signings. Ben Badler doesn't typically make mistakes. This is uncommon and unchartered territory for the Sox but when Baseball America pushes this hard and Ben Badler specifically, it's usually a good indicator.

So there will be a 100% tax on any team before 6/15 right? Sox may have 2 million or so in the deal that would be not taxed at that rate but hard to know how much that will matter.

If he signs 10 million, that's 20 million to the Padres and 18 million to the sox.

Is that correct?

Robert would be an absolute potential cornerstone for the team as they rebuild. It feels an absolute need in that he's an athlete with a chance to stick in a premium position.

The Sox signing him would be like the Red Sox landing Moncada or the Cubs landing Soler Or other examples of a talent rich system landing a generational talent.

If you can sign a prospect of Robert's caliber right now, I think you got to do it. Sucks not being able to sign guys for above $300k for two periods, but it's not the end of the world IMO. And honestly, we can still trade any excess bonus allotments we might end up with for some more advanced, stateside prospects. Robert just seems too good to pass up IMO.