Paul Konerko 2020 Hall Of Fame

peavy44

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely Paulie should be in the Hall of Fame! The Chicago White Sox Hall of Fame!

As for Buehrle...you have to factor in the 2005 Postseason as well. Won a game and saved a game in the same post season, which if I remember correctly, may not have been done before. Part of the 4 complete games in a row.

Buehrle is a fringe HOF but I think he's one of those guys that needs to be seen beyond the statistics.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Absolutely Paulie should be in the Hall of Fame! The Chicago White Sox Hall of Fame!

As for Buehrle...you have to factor in the 2005 Postseason as well. Won a game and saved a game in the same post season, which if I remember correctly, may not have been done before. Part of the 4 complete games in a row.

Buehrle is a fringe HOF but I think he's one of those guys that needs to be seen beyond the statistics.

Definitely becoming the norm lately.

Buehrle has a shot if the context of what a Hall of Fame starting pitcher changes within his own era.

Obviously some guys were more talented than him, like Santana. But the consistency was rare among his peers. To be honest, he's a lot like Jack Morris, and we know how people feel about him.

Paul Konerko was a very good player for a long time but in my opinion is simply not a Hall of Famer. I'd put Mark Buehrle in that same category.

The former White Sox players who deserve to be in the Hall and aren't are:

1. Billy Pierce. A DOMINANT pitcher for over a decade and along with Whitey Ford and Warren Spann the best left handed pitchers in baseball in the 1950's.

2. Minnie Minoso. A great outfielder both offensively and defensively. The Jackie Robinson of Latin players who unlike Jackie, also had the language barrier to overcome.

3. Tommy John

4. Jim Kaat

5. Dick Allen

The following are the stories that I wrote for the Chicago Baseball Museum going into the numbers and explaining why some of those I listed should be in:

http://www.chicagobaseballmuseum.org/files...ce-20141121.pdf

http://www.chicagobaseballmuseum.org/files...tt-20141203.pdf

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)

He almost got the win and the save in WS if it weren't for a BS in game 2.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone do more with less than MB.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
He almost got the win and the save in WS if it weren't for a BS in game 2.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone do more with less than MB.

I just looked at his stats. Had a season where he threw 245 1/3 (I never use the stupid .1 or .2) innings. Thats crazy haha

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
Two bad things about the 1959 White Sox:

Billy Pierce had a down year by his standard.

Minnie Minoso was on the Indians.

Billy had a hip injury that season which forced him to miss about a month if I remember correctly.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
Billy had a hip injury that season which forced him to miss about a month if I remember correctly.

Mark

Just for fun, I looked this up...

He pitched 16 (yes, 16!) innings on August 6th. Of course five days later, he gives up 5 runs in 4 innings. Then his next start, it looks like he left injured in the 3rd inning, then missed a few starts after that.

Now THAT'S abuse.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
Just for fun, I looked this up...

He pitched 16 (yes, 16!) innings on August 6th. Of course five days later, he gives up 5 runs in 4 innings. Then his next start, it looks like he left injured in the 3rd inning, then missed a few starts after that.

Now THAT'S abuse.

How did you find it, and does it say how many pitches he threw?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 21, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...p&year=1959

They didn't keep pitch counts back then, but I'm sure he was pushing 200 for a game that ended in a tie.

Thanks

He faced 61 batters. Makes me want to change my name here.

Edited by Al Lopez's Ghost

I asked Bill specifically about that game and he said he kept getting guys out, kept going back to the dugout where Al would ask him how he was feeling and if he was OK. Bill said he felt fine and thought he could keep getting guys out...and he did.

Mark