Spring Training notes thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 25, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
They used Burdi a lot this spring with some guys gone for the WBC. Seems to have caught up to him lately.

I'm not the biggest fan of his set up and delivery. Seems like he might struggle to have quality command

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 25, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
I'm not the biggest fan of his set up and delivery. Seems like he might struggle to have quality command

I only saw his most recent two outings (in person), but he certainly had a lot of inconsistencies in his delivery. When he was warming up between innings, it was very noticeable how unrepeatable his delivery was at that point. That said, it looked like he was working on something in Thursday's game. Not sure what was going on in today's game (he was throwing his pitches, but repeatability of delivery / release point seemed to be an issue.

I was sitting behind some scouts on Thursday and he was consistently hitting 96. Didn't see what he was hitting today. I was not impressed in the two outings I saw him, but again small sample size. To be honest, I think the slight hiccup is good for him because a little adversity is good for him (if he just rolled all spring...while that would be nice, it just isn't realistic...he's going to have some struggles, so why not have some now, to remphasize how hard he needs to work in the minors.

Burdi is interesting in that not only is his minor league sample size small, but his college sample size was also really tiny.

His 3 years in college he had 10, 29, and 30 innings pitched total. Add in last years 38 total innings and that's only a total 107 innings of numbers to analyze since 2014. The stuff is obviously there, and the peripherals suggest as such, but you gotta remember that even if you take all his numbers on a whole going back to freshman year of college, its still a really small sample size, let alone single outings

Its something I have to remind myself, as at times I look at his 3.30 ERA his senior year in college, and 3.32 in the minors and wonder why those ERAs aren't better with the insane K rates and relatively low hit rates. But I try to remind myself that its really still a tiny sample size prone to variation

Edited by daa84

Best surprise of ST was Delmonico. Extremely powerful swing and good balance at the plate. Collins' eye at the plate is great. Kopech was another nice surprise, as his stuff looked even better than advertised. Biggest disappointment was Giolito. Just don't see him being effective unless his fastball improves.

After Opening Day, will be spending more time following the minor league games this year, unless it's Quintana or Rodon pitching...and hoping for progress/consistency/health from both Saladino and Tim Anderson.

Last time we could say that the minors were so interesting was undoubtedly 2009, that Birmingham team the first couple of months of the season. Delmonico is becoming more and more interesting. Hayes has some potential, as well, although it's going to come down to positional versatility.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 06:20 AM)
Aneury Tavarez has been placed on waivers. Rule 5 guy. If he clears, he gets offered back to Boston. He had a nice Spring Training. Seems like the type of guy a rebuilding team should have interest in.

He does seem to be an interesting candidate for a rebuilding club

Outside of last season at AA he has not shown much though

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
He does seem to be an interesting candidate for a rebuilding club

Outside of last season at AA he has not shown much though

I don't think the Sox would have interest. If May didn't have the spring he had, I think there would be interest however.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 25, 2017 -> 04:31 PM)

I say that every time I watch him pitch. It just seems too..."contrived" for no better word. It just looks awkward...like he's struggling to remain still for too long.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 09:54 PM)
Best surprise of ST was Delmonico. Extremely powerful swing and good balance at the plate. Collins' eye at the plate is great. Kopech was another nice surprise, as his stuff looked even better than advertised. Biggest disappointment was Giolito. Just don't see him being effective unless his fastball improves.

Agree with you on that.

Collins might be a top 10 hitter in our system already (majors included) just in terms of plate presence.

Giolito strikes me as sort of a Gavin Floyd type. Certainly not going to write him off yet, but Lopez is much closer to helping us. Giolito needs the Full Coop.