Rebuild hardest on JR

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 11:43 PM)
Throw away reaction, no value add here. Shocker.

Meanwhile, we have crocodile tears coming from the owner who has presided over 36 years of ownership in which his team has scarce made the postseason but five times, not once in the past eight years, and one that's on its way to extending that period to a full decade, in this the period of two Wild Card teams. Real funny, SS2K5, eh?

Do you find that funny, SS2K5? The fact our fan base, the one you routinely enjoy denigrating, will go a full decade without seeing their team participate in the postseason? Is this a HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA moment for you, too? Do you find it funny when the folks who put the team we passionately follow remain in their positions of influence? Is the Sox situation really just a joke to you, not to be taken seriously?

No, I don't take it nearly as seriously as you do. I can't imagine putting this much energy into being bitter and angry for decades over a sports team. What a complete waste of time and things you could actually be doing with your life. Yes, I find it hilarious that you are trying to convince people otherwise.

Honestly it borders on restraining order level.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
Why don't you understand the Eaton trade? They got a very good return for a speed player in his late 20's. Eaton would have been on the next good Sox team but his prime would be no longer most likely. Eaton was my favorite player on the team even though it seems that he was a giant pain in the ass. That trade had to get made to push this rebuild forward.

Because he has 5 years left on a cheap deal. He is a real little guy, I think his speed will be with him for the duration of the contract. I am not so thrilled with the return.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 07:30 AM)
Because he has 5 years left on a cheap deal. He is a real little guy, I think his speed will be with him for the duration of the contract. I am not so thrilled with the return.

I'm a big fan of Giolito so that's probably why we differ.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 07:36 AM)
I truly hope you are right.

While I do love the trade from our standpoint, the three arms are obviously question marks, I don't think it's as one-sided as the media made it out to be. I get Eaton is below average in CF, but I believe Werth is a free agent after this year so Eaton can shift over to left.

I still think that this so called rebuild is as phony as a $3 bill. I think JR is going to trade off and not sign any real talent the team has. He will have the lowest payroll in MLB in 2018. He will then sell the team after the 2018 season. I'm hoping he'll sell the team before the 2018 season, but I think he will wait until after the season is over. This team has absolutely no positive direction. I've read where the most talented player coming out of Cuba is a 19 year old outfielder named Luis Robert. Virtually every team in MLB wants to sign him. The White Sox are probably the only team who have shown no interest in signing him. The farm system is barren of any every day outfielders. Robert would be a good signing for the team and yet they have no interest in signing him. After Cabrera leaves the White Sox after this season the White Sox will probably have the worse outfield in 2018 in MLB. Wouldn't Robert be a perfect fit for this team?

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
I still think that this so called rebuild is as phony as a $3 bill. I think JR is going to trade off and not sign any real talent the team has. He will have the lowest payroll in MLB in 2018. He will then sell the team after the 2018 season. I'm hoping he'll sell the team before the 2018 season, but I think he will wait until after the season is over. This team has absolutely no positive direction. I've read where the most talented player coming out of Cuba is a 19 year old outfielder named Luis Robert. Virtually every team in MLB wants to sign him. The White Sox are probably the only team who have shown no interest in signing him. The farm system is barren of any every day outfielders. Robert would be a good signing for the team and yet they have no interest in signing him. After Cabrera leaves the White Sox after this season the White Sox will probably have the worse outfield in 2018 in MLB. Wouldn't Robert be a perfect fit for this team?

How do you know the Sox have no interest in signing Robert?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
How do you know the Sox have no interest in signing Robert?

I don't get that at all. It all has to do with when the guy gets cleared to sign. If it is before June 15 the teams that blew therir spending limits are the teams that will be the favorites. If it is later, about half the league won't be able to give him more than$300k.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)

I certainly echo your wishes about Mr. Reinsdorf selling the team sooner rather than later so we can close the regrettable era of his time as owner of the Sox and move onto bigger and better things. All Sox fans will benefit at the point in time when that happens.

Meanwhile, as it pertains to Luis Robert, FWIW, there was an article last month in Baseball America that cites "sources" suggesting the Sox as a possible landing spot for Robert. Not a whole lot to hang your hat on with that particular quote, but it at least suggests the Sox are not completely sitting on the sidelines with absolutely no interest in the guy.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...SVmScULoICj9.97

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 02:50 PM)

I truly agree. The Sox made 2 trades total and have blown it regarding trading Melky and Frazier cause now we'll get nothing for them as they enter their free agent year. So many fans on this board will just say, "You can't get anything for Melky and Frazier." Really? Last year we couldn't have dumped them after it was obvious our team was going nowhere?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 26, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
I truly agree. The Sox made 2 trades total and have blown it regarding trading Melky and Frazier cause now we'll get nothing for them as they enter their free agent year. So many fans on this board will just say, "You can't get anything for Melky and Frazier." Really? Last year we couldn't have dumped them after it was obvious our team was going nowhere?

No. We couldn't.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)

I hope he sells soon it's been a long time coming.

my biggest complaint is that when JR wouldn't commit to a rebuild he also wouldn't commit to overspending on free agents, which you pretty much have to do if you are trying to "rebuild on the fly." the result of this was years of being mired in mediocrity, as hahn said. i've never thought overspending and rebuilding on the fly was a prudent approach, but if you want to claim you are going for it, you actually have to, you know, go for it.

Edited by thedoctor