Buehrle jersey retirement

Princess Dye

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
Not counting Jackie, except for Dodgers.

A's: 5

Braves: 10

Cardinals: 12 (42 for Sutter)

Cubs: 6 (31 twice)

Dodgers: 10

Giants: 11 (two names honored as they played before numbers)

Indians: 6

Orioles: 6

Phillies: 7 (two similar to Giants)

Pirates: 9

Reds: 10

Red Sox: 10

Tigers: 6

Twins: 7

White Sox: 11 (counting Buehrle)

Yankees: 20 (42 for Rivera, 8 twice, not counting Jeter)

So the Sox are basically middle of the pack. You could make extremely strong arguments for Ozzie.

As a player? Nah. But you can say "World Series Champion Manager" and everyone will understand retiring his number.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 07:15 AM)
As a player? Nah. But you can say "World Series Champion Manager" and everyone will understand retiring his number.

Anyone who plays 13 years with the team gets automatic consideration. Add to that the ROY and the personality. I think he would get strong consideration as a player.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
I also dont think he was that great of a player....On those teams, he was mid-tier IMO.

No but he was a good player for 13 years with one team so he deserves consideration. He didn't hit much but was a good SS for years.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
No but he was a good player for 13 years with one team so he deserves consideration. He didn't hit much but was a good SS for years.

But on those teams, was he a top 2 or 3 guy? Not really. He doesnt have the stats or really the contribution IMO to have his jersey retired. On top of that, the way he left was bulls***.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)

He was really only good, never great for a few seasons. After the knee injury in '92 he lost his speed and range and was pretty useless.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 11:37 AM)
But on those teams, was he a top 2 or 3 guy? Not really. He doesnt have the stats or really the contribution IMO to have his jersey retired. On top of that, the way he left was bulls***.

I agree with the part about leaving. Having a number retired by a team is more than just stats. He was a good player on the team for 13 years so I think it's a consideration. Having his contributions has a manager as well I think puts him over the top and he should have his number retired. However, I'm not sure if there is still too much bad blood.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
He was really only good, never great for a few seasons. After the knee injury in '92 he lost his speed and range and was pretty useless.

I thought he actually came back better after the knee injury. He really worked at it and looked like a better player.

Are people really dumb enough to think Sale should get his number retired here? He has been one of my favorite players with the Sox and probably the most gifted pitcher we have ever had. He has never even pitched a playoff game for us. And I know that isn't his fault, but he didn't help the cause in the clubhouse. He threw temper tantrums in the clubhouse and even cut up his jersey with scissors. He will also probably be very successful in Boston and win some playoff games and maybe even a title or two. And we should retire his number? It is a disgrace we are even talking about this in this thread. I always took White Sox fans to be more knowldgable that Cubs fans, but I guess not. Even MB getting his number retired this early (before he even officially has retired even though everyone knows he is) is a stretch. Let's not be ridiculous here. The next guy if there is one would be Ozzie I imagine and that would be for his contributions as a player and manager. No way he ever gets his number retired if he doesn't manage the WS team, but there is a good chance his number doesn't get retired at all either.

Again, with Sale, let's wait to see how his career plays out.

Maybe in three years the Sox are knocking on the door and throw money at Sale to round out an untraded Q, Rodon, Giolito/Lopez/Kopech/Fulmer/Hansen/Stephens/Whoever. We have no idea what the future will hold exactly.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)

Maybe in three years the Sox are knocking on the door and throw money at Sale to round out an untraded Q, Rodon, Giolito/Lopez/Kopech/Fulmer/Hansen/Stephens/Whoever. We have no idea what the future will hold exactly.

LOL no doubt, but there are a billions scenarios we could debate like this. I am more confused that it even came up at this point.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
I feel like if they were going to retire Ozzie's number, it would have happened already.

I disagree just because of the way he left. That damage seems like it is being repaired now, but I imagine that is a big factor. I wouldn't be surprised if it never happens either, but if I had to bet, I'd put money on his # being retired in the next 10 years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)

Of all the possibilities, the Sox paying a 30 year old Sale 150+ million (assuming his arm doesn't fall off) is about the only one I would be my house doesn't happen.