Buehrle jersey retirement

Princess Dye

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
Wilbur Wood should really have his number retired.

Also, Appling and Collins are the best position players in White Sox history, arguably even including the Big Hurt. Those guys don't have statues. A joke.

Wilbur Wood is pushing it for me. I'm a fan of number retirement being for the best of the best. Hall of Famers that play all or nearly all of their career for the team. I think the Sox already have too many retired.

I think the biggest reason why guys like Appling and Collins don't have statues is that they were dead long before the Sox started making statues. It's not nearly as exciting of a ceremony if the guy being portrayed can't be there to unveil the statue. The only one that was dead and received a statue was Fox and that's because he had the joint one with Aparicio. I do think they should, and probably will eventually, make statues for those guys it just doesn't take priority. Guys like Pierce and Aparicio were getting old and you want to get them done before they die.

Here are the numbers the Sox should have retired:

That's it.

3, 6 (Lau), 13 (Ozzie), 14, 16, 19, 56

These guys are very good to sometimes great players, but that's what team Halls of Fame are for. And yes, 6 and 13 aren't retired but are never issued.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
7+ years on the team, 5X All Star, single season Sox K record aren't accomplishments? Lol ok.

No. Buehrle and PK are the only recent Sox whose #'s I think are worthy of retirement. Sale was a great pitcher while here, but the club didn't win squat with him here and 7 years isn't long enough unless you are winning cy youngs while leading team to consistent post-season runs, etc.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)

That's it.

These guys are very good to sometimes great players, but that's what team Halls of Fame are for. And yes, 6 and 13 aren't retired but are never issued.

No on 16?

21 seasons with the team and a member of the BBHOF isn't enough for you? He's more deserving than 11 to me.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
If Harold Baines has a retired number, of course Buehrle will too. They kinda set a bar there in 1989.

A little side note as it relates to Baines, but with just 16 more home runs and 134 more hits in his career, he would be part of a very exclusive club of guys who had both 400 home runs and 3,000 hits in their career. Only seven other guys in the entire history of baseball can make that claim (eight if you count Rafael Roidin' Palmeiro, but I don't). The others are:

Stan Musial 475/3639

Hank Aaron 744/3771

Willie Mays 660

Carl Yastrzemski 452/3419

Dave Winfield 465/3110

Eddie Murray 504/3255

Cal Ripken Jr. 431/3184

Seeing those names and knowing how close Baines was to having similar statistics really does underscore what a great if not understated career he did have.

I'll be there, even though I think the Sox will bring blasts from the pasts back for ticket sales purposes. I went to Konerko's last game, the World Series 10 year reunion and Konerko's jersey retirement ceremony - the place was packed and actually energized for a change.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 06:00 PM)
I'll be there, even though I think the Sox will bring blasts from the pasts back for ticket sales purposes. I went to Konerko's last game, the World Series 10 year reunion and Konerko's jersey retirement ceremony - the place was packed and actually energized for a change.

OT, but there really is nothing like an energized Comiskey. Only happens a few times a year now. For me, the last pure "this is awesome" feeling I got due to the energy was Frazier's big 3-run blast against the Cubs last season.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 06:09 PM)
OT, but there really is nothing like an energized Comiskey. Only happens a few times a year now. For me, the last pure "this is awesome" feeling I got due to the energy was Frazier's big 3-run blast against the Cubs last season.

You're right, it's great when it is packed or at least energized. It's so lame when nobody cheers when we should be loud and they use their programming to get people pumped up. I always need to check and see if someone is looking at their phone or has a pulse next to me at the game.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)

That's it.

So your scale is a HOFer? Seems a like a high bar for retired numbers. These are guys the franchise chooses to honor. The recent additions of 14 and 56 fit that bar perfectly to me. Guys that won't be HOFers, but guys that were great for the White Sox.

I don't know what is more surprising, that people think Sale should have his jersey retired or that Buehrle shouldn't. If this were the Yankees, then hell no it shouldn't be retired. But it's the White Sox with two WS appearances and one title in 86 years and he was a huge part of the title, and the face of the franchise before and after. Zero question whether #56 or #14 should be retired.

I won't be able to attend as apparently I have a wedding in the mountains of North Carolina that weekend.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
It has nothing to do with us not realizing how good he was. We all saw it. The hangup is that he was only here for 6 full years and just 5 as a starter. If you start retiring numbers for guys that played for you for 6 years, you're going to start running out of numbers.

Are you really trying to argue that Sale deserves his number retired more than Buehrle because of his talent level. Obviously peak Sale was better than peak Buehrle but there is a s*** ton more to it than that. Buehrle was here for 12 f***ing years. Not to mention the fact that, oh, I don't know, he was the ace of a World Series winning team. Come on man. We get it. Sale was your favorite. He's gone, move on.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
MBINAA

:lolhitting Came here to make this joke.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
It has nothing to do with us not realizing how good he was. We all saw it. The hangup is that he was only here for 6 full years and just 5 as a starter. If you start retiring numbers for guys that played for you for 6 years, you're going to start running out of numbers.

Are you really trying to argue that Sale deserves his number retired more than Buehrle because of his talent level. Obviously peak Sale was better than peak Buehrle but there is a s*** ton more to it than that. Buehrle was here for 12 f***ing years. Not to mention the fact that, oh, I don't know, he was the ace of a World Series winning team. Come on man. We get it. Sale was your favorite. He's gone, move on.

Well, in a way, peak Buehrle was better. Peak Buehrle was a perfect game. Sale will never be better than that I am willing to bet. ;)

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
So your scale is a HOFer? Seems a like a high bar for retired numbers. These are guys the franchise chooses to honor. The recent additions of 14 and 56 fit that bar perfectly to me. Guys that won't be HOFers, but guys that were great for the White Sox.

Yeah, I'm more of all time greats in the game, plus Minoso as a Sox version of Jackie Robinson.

Obviously Konerko and Buehrle deserve it with Pierce and Baines already having it retired.

The Sox have overdone it with the numbers in my opinion. I'd be interested to know how many each of the original 16 franchises have retired.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 08:13 PM)
Yeah, I'm more of all time greats in the game, plus Minoso as a Sox version of Jackie Robinson.

Obviously Konerko and Buehrle deserve it with Pierce and Baines already having it retired.

The Sox have overdone it with the numbers in my opinion. I'd be interested to know how many each of the original 16 franchises have retired.

Not counting Jackie, except for Dodgers.

A's: 5

Braves: 10

Cardinals: 12 (42 for Sutter)

Cubs: 6 (31 twice)

Dodgers: 10

Giants: 11 (two names honored as they played before numbers)

Indians: 6

Orioles: 6

Phillies: 7 (two similar to Giants)

Pirates: 9

Reds: 10

Red Sox: 10

Tigers: 6

Twins: 7

White Sox: 11 (counting Buehrle)

Yankees: 20 (42 for Rivera, 8 twice, not counting Jeter)

So the Sox are basically middle of the pack. You could make extremely strong arguments for Ozzie.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
No. Buehrle and PK are the only recent Sox whose #'s I think are worthy of retirement. Sale was a great pitcher while here, but the club didn't win squat with him here and 7 years isn't long enough unless you are winning cy youngs while leading team to consistent post-season runs, etc.

I would agree. PK and Buehrle were main cogs in a WS win and spent almost their entire careers on the Southside. Sale was one of my favorite players but no way would I retire his number.