Buehrle jersey retirement

Princess Dye

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
The Cubs and Maddux are a good comp for the Sox and Sale.

Would the Cubs have retired Maddux's number if he hadn't come back at the end of his career?

I would say no. Coming back to the Cubs help get his number of years pitched for the team to 10 and he also got his 300th win and 3,000 k.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
I don't want to derail the thread any further but I don't think some of you guys realize how good Sale was.

Buehrle had the advantage of being with the team for much longer, having playoff success here, and not being a hot head, but pound for pound I think Sale is way more talented than he ever was.

It has nothing to do with us not realizing how good he was. We all saw it. The hangup is that he was only here for 6 full years and just 5 as a starter. If you start retiring numbers for guys that played for you for 6 years, you're going to start running out of numbers.

Are you really trying to argue that Sale deserves his number retired more than Buehrle because of his talent level. Obviously peak Sale was better than peak Buehrle but there is a s*** ton more to it than that. Buehrle was here for 12 f***ing years. Not to mention the fact that, oh, I don't know, he was the ace of a World Series winning team. Come on man. We get it. Sale was your favorite. He's gone, move on.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
The Cubs and Maddux are a good comp for the Sox and Sale.

Would the Cubs have retired Maddux's number if he hadn't come back at the end of his career?

If Chris Sale becomes a first ballot hall of famer, then I think the idea of his number being retired is worth revisiting.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
It has nothing to do with us not realizing how good he was. We all saw it. The hangup is that he was only here for 6 full years and just 5 as a starter. If you start retiring numbers for guys that played for you for 6 years, you're going to start running out of numbers.

Are you really trying to argue that Sale deserves his number retired more than Buehrle because of his talent level. Obviously peak Sale was better than peak Buehrle but there is a s*** ton more to it than that. Buehrle was here for 12 f***ing years. Not to mention the fact that, oh, I don't know, he was the ace of a World Series winning team. Come on man. We get it. Sale was your favorite. He's gone, move on.

I never said Sale was more deserving because of talent. I simply said he is more talented. Obviously there are other requirements that are in Buehrle's favor that work against Sale.

Here's some more interesting questions: Will Buehrle be a Hall of Famer? If Sale makes it one day, will he wear a White Sox hat on the plaque?

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
If Chris Sale becomes a first ballot hall of famer, then I think the idea of his number being retired is worth revisiting.

Yeah, if Sale goes in the Hall then it would be more worthy. Nolan Ryan has his number retired by at least two teams.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
I never said Sale was more deserving because of talent. I simply said he is more talented. Obviously there are other requirements that are in Buehrle's favor that work against Sale.

Here's some more interesting questions: Will Buehrle be a Hall of Famer? If Sale makes it one day, will he wear a White Sox hat on the plaque?

"Will Buehrle be a Hall of Famer?" - No. Had he not retired young and made a run at 300 wins he would have at least an outside shot at getting in.

"If Sale makes it one day, will he wear a White Sox hat on the plaque?"- Sale's Hall of Fame induction would come sometime in the early to mid 2030's. I think it's a little premature to even discuss what hat he will wear on his hypothetical HOF plaque that he is still a solid decade of outstanding play away from achieving. He may play in Boston the rest of his career. Who the hell knows?

Too soon to tell. He could end up signing a long-term deal with the Red Sox and go in with them. Heck, he may have a couple serious injuries that derail his career trajectory.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
For those interested in going to the game this is the same day as the Barstool at the Park charity event. All you can eat and drink the two and a half hours before the game and a lower deck ticket. Should be a great day at the park.

whitesoxdave is going to be there I'm assuming?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
In the bullpen bar starting a few hours + before the game and then you have the option to buy a discounted lower deck ticket with it. Every ticket is a donation to charity and every beer is 9 dollars cheaper than it is during the game.

Did that a couple of years ago. Always a blast.

Red Sox

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)

MBINAA

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
I don't want to derail the thread any further but I don't think some of you guys realize how good Sale was.

Buehrle had the advantage of being with the team for much longer, having playoff success here, and not being a hot head, but pound for pound I think Sale is way more talented than he ever was.

These are usually the reasons for getting numbers retired by a team, not just how good they were. Should they retire Tom Seaver, Goose Gossage or Tommy Johns numbers?

Usually the numbers are retired for importance to the team not necessarily the best players ala Baines and Konerko. Both of them were good players but not the best of all time.