NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 06:58 AM)

It's the downside to technology. This is nothing different than the last 40 years, but now there are trails and records of it. John Wooden dealt with all cash so he's the greatest coach ever without a tainted legacy.

I have to say, I really would have thought this is all more egrigious. My takeaways are if this is the money being transacted to top talent (granted maybe only one venue), then NCAA can afford to pay decent stipends of 15k a year or something to each revenue generating athletic program., and smaller stipends to less.

But also with how often the NCAA has tried to illegally use criminal proceedings to act as fact finding and enforcing wings of the NCAA itself, that the FBI's purpose is basically just enforcing NCAA rules I find disappointing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 09:11 AM)
I dont know if a 400 dollar payment to a mother from an agent is going to sink him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:30 AM)
I have to say, I really would have thought this is all more egrigious. My takeaways are if this is the money being transacted to top talent (granted maybe only one venue), then NCAA can afford to pay decent stipends of 15k a year or something to each revenue generating athletic program., and smaller stipends to less.

But also with how often the NCAA has tried to illegally use criminal proceedings to act as fact finding and enforcing wings of the NCAA itself, that the FBI's purpose is basically just enforcing NCAA rules I find disappointing.

This is 1 small document from 1 agent that just happened to leak out (probably intentionally). I imagine the fbi case file is a thousand of those and then some. This is hardly over.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 09:30 AM)

I think people just don't really care anymore about some money going to players, and many think they deserve it. Plus, when you have the awful scandals of PSU/Baylor/MSU, this so pales in comparison.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 06:58 AM)

Can you imagine an NCAA tournament without Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, Louisville, Maryland, Kentucky, NC State, Seton Hall, Washington, USC, Alabama, Texas, LSU, Kansas... and more?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:07 AM)
Can you imagine an NCAA tournament without Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, Louisville, Maryland, Kentucky, NC State, Seton Hall, Washington, USC, Alabama, Texas, LSU, Kansas... and more?

There would be zero reason to watch.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:14 AM)
There would be zero reason to watch.

Except it's the f***ing NCAA tournament and a field of 64 is narrowed down to 16 in four days.

The tournament is an event. No one GAF about if Duke is in the first round in particular. They just want to see tons of games with upsets.

The NCAA should throw the book at UNC. It feels like they can't go 12 months without breaking an NCAA rule.

Edited by Sox-35th

Sean Miller caught on an FBI wire tap discussing a $100k payment to a recruit. He is done, but his contact is written where he gets 85% of his remaining money even if fired for cause. $10.3 million parting gift for getting the school in trouble and embarrassed.

It is funny Jason Terry is leading the charge against this guy. He got caught taking money at Arizona.

Edited by Dick Allen

KU takes down TT in Lubbock, yet another B12 crown.

Btw, wonder who the possible Iowa State allegations involve...during Hoiberg years?

OU finally gets a desperately needed home win against KState, but they still need to win at home against ISU, at Baylor or first round of B12 tourney to clinch. Have only won 3 of last 12, but one was KU. They also beat TT, TCU twice...once when they were ranked 10th.

Texas and Baylor right on the NCAA cut line.

Missouri/KY looks interesting, between Knox stuff and Porter return?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 05:37 PM)
KU takes down TT in Lubbock, yet another B12 crown.

Btw, wonder who the possible Iowa State allegations involve...during Hoiberg years?

OU finally gets a desperately needed home win against KState, but they still need to win at home against ISU, at Baylor or first round of B12 tourney to clinch. Have only won 3 of last 12, but one was KU. They also beat TT, TCU twice...once when they were ranked 10th.

Texas and Baylor right on the NCAA cut line.

Missouri/KY looks interesting, between Knox stuff and Porter return?

Monte Morris but as of now it's just that he may have had a meal paid for.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 07:21 PM)
Monte Morris but as of now it's just that he may have had a meal paid for.

It is ridiculous that ISU would have its name dragged through this on every list for something like that. I am pretty sure there are more schools that have violated that rule than have not.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 07:40 AM)
It is ridiculous that ISU would have its name dragged through this on every list for something like that. I am pretty sure there are more schools that have violated that rule than have not.

It's also a meal with an agent after he was already at ISU, so it's not a recruiting deal. Who knows how it'll shake out.