The Korea Situation; It's Very Serious

greg775

Is this North Korea situation serious or not?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is this North Korea situation serious or not?

• Yes it is very serious; we are on brink of war
    • No, we're not going to do anything warlike
    • Maybe.

Been reading more and more about N. Korea planning on launching a nuke our way. Folks, the world will be over as we know it. And if we feel like they are really going to go through with it, I'd assume we will strike them first and it could be soon.

Jong-Un is a nut. Did u see the pictures of him celebrating the last test? I guess he has a death wish for the world. I can't see Trump standing idly by.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 03:07 AM)
I actually thought the last statement NK put out dialed back the rhetoric a touch, saying the weapons were defensive, unlike the usual messaging of "we can destroy the imperialists"

I didn't like the wild celebrating of the successful launch. I hope China is noticing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 12:26 AM)
I didn't like the wild celebrating of the successful launch. I hope China is noticing.

Our racist president stopped taunting China because North Korean taunts were more ballsy and they noticed. If you have a problem with this maybe you should have voted against it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2017 -> 06:28 AM)
Our racist president stopped taunting China because North Korean taunts were more ballsy and they noticed. If you have a problem with this maybe you should have voted against it.

How would that be possible. My choices were Hillary vs. Trump. ... Pass.

I woulda voted for Bernie though. My hope is China saves the world from thermonuclear war.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 28, 2017 -> 04:07 PM)
Calling on China to save the day. It's the world's only realistic hope.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 11:26 PM)

According to this, China would be more likely to take N. Korea's side.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/china-north...cise-us-2017-12

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)
According to this, China would be more likely to take N. Korea's side.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/china-north...cise-us-2017-12

If China takes North Korea's side, trouble is brewing. I wonder what a realistic scenario is of how the incident that spurs total destruction could occur.

a.) Kim Jong-Un simply decides to nuke us and we immediately respond with nukes as those bombs are heading our way. China learns what's going on and launches an array of nukes at the USA mainland that effectively wipes us out.

b.) We fear Kim is soon going to strike and we bomb North Korea sites of interest, factories, Kim's palaces, with more conventional bombs and then he responds with nukes to Japan, Hawaii and the US mainland.

If China supports Kim in this, I fear much.

Edited by greg775

• 1 month later...

More talk of a "bloody nose" strike plan against North Korea

This is such a bad idea, and it's coming from the putative "adults" in the room. On the one hand, they're regularly pointing out how irrational and unstable Kim is, so they're planning to...punch him in the face? And on the other hand, how could the DPRK ever really know that it's a "limited" strike versus the opening salvo in a regime change effort? There's no realistic mechanisms where the conflict doesn't immediately escalate to something bigger.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 06:42 PM)
More talk of a "bloody nose" strike plan against North Korea

This is such a bad idea, and it's coming from the putative "adults" in the room. On the one hand, they're regularly pointing out how irrational and unstable Kim is, so they're planning to...punch him in the face? And on the other hand, how could the DPRK ever really know that it's a "limited" strike versus the opening salvo in a regime change effort? There's no realistic mechanisms where the conflict doesn't immediately escalate to something bigger.

I'm not in favor of military action against that nut just yet. Please Mr. Trump and advisors figure out a better way to hurt this guy. I don't want nukes being launched anytime soon.It will be the end of the world as we know it. Now we do have to stop crazy Kim "somehow."

The incident in Hawaii was horrifying. To tell the people a missile is coming ... I mean that's one of the worst situations in human history. I'm surprised some people didn't commit suicide on the spot with a missile allegedly coming to blow you to smithereens.

Seriously when Orson Wells had a fake end of the world thing on the radio, some people killed themselves.

To see an official report of bombs coming in Hawaii ... I'd think some folks would panic and kill themselves at sea.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 04:30 PM)
Seriously when Orson Wells had a fake end of the world thing on the radio, some people killed themselves.

No they didn't.

Snopes

Slate

But just as the size of Welles’ audience has been exaggerated, so have reports of audience hysteria. Wire service reports did relay sensational stories of (unnamed) panicked listeners saved only by the timely intervention of friends or neighbors, but not one newspaper reported a verified suicide connected to the broadcast.

• 3 months later...

These are such wild images:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/27/asia/key-moments-korean-summit-intl/index.html

Never thought I'd see the NK leader go into SK (willingly). 

If there is a peace accord struck, I can't believe after 60+ years of trying, Donald Fucking Trump is the US President to do it.

I'm also surprised at the relatively quiet coverage of this. Has anyone read anything about WHY this is happening all of a sudden? Was it the Olympic games? What made NK change so drastically? Is this all just a ruse?

4 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

If there is a peace accord struck, I can't believe after 60+ years of trying, Donald Fucking Trump is the US President to do it.

I'm also surprised at the relatively quiet coverage of this. Has anyone read anything about WHY this is happening all of a sudden? Was it the Olympic games? What made NK change so drastically? Is this all just a ruse?

04cnd-korea2.600.jpg

South-Korea-Koreas-Tensions-Past-Summits

http://www.standard.net/World/2018/01/10/Look-at-past-inter-Korean-summits-during-era-of-detente

7 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I said it when Bill Clinton did it, and I will say it again.  When Kim gets his bribes, all bets are off.  There is zero chance the NK's abandon their weapons program.  None.  They never have, and they never will.  They cheated through every single agreement  made for the last 50 years and will continue to do so.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/09/diplomat-who-made-deal-with-north-korea-warns-trump-they-will-cheat.html

"With respect to plutonium, they stuck to the deal," Gallucci, who is now chairman at the U.S.-Korea Institute and a professor at Georgetown University, told CNBC. "The hitch came when we discovered that they were secretly engaged in receiving transfers from

Pakistani nuclear scientist A.Q. Khan in uranium enrichment, the other technology used to produce the raw materials for nuclear weapons."

Gallucci said the Clinton administration continued to talk with the North Koreans and didn't inform them that they were aware of the cheating.

"When the Bush administration came in they also didn't tell the North Koreans we were aware, but ultimately in 2002 they confronted them and said it had to stop," Gallucci said.

1 minute ago, Jenksismyhero said:

lol, touche! I always thought it was through underlings, not the actual leaders.

There is absolutely a hint of "only Nixon could go to China" here, where if Obama had accepted a summit meeting with the Koreans with no preconditions the Republicans would have eaten him alive, but Trump can get away with that. Furthermore, some of the reasons for the Korean rapproachment is definitely the South Koreans thinking "OMG we have to change this before Donald Trump kills us all". 

But whenever he shows up, 2k5 will correctly point out that even if the Koreans give guarantees about denuclearization, it should be hard for the US to believe any of them. SImilarly, Balta will then point out that, if the United States pulls out of the Iran deal in 2 weeks like Donald Trump insists we're going to do, there would be no reason for the North Koreans to trust any agreement with the United States about removing nuclear weapons, because the United States can't be trusted not to invade you unless you have the bomb.