How would you rank Renteria so far?

ron883

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 29, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
Bumped, because he AGAIN called for a bunt with 2 strikes... this has to stop.

I can understand bunting to stay out of a DP but the situation was man on 2nd and no outs right ?Engle was up and I'd let him hit. You can tell him try to hit it to the right side or let him swing away. A bunt or more specifically a failed bunt with 2 strikes does not instill confidence in a young player trying to get a feel for ML pitching. Give him a shot at driving the run home especially when the pitcher had already given up a triple and double.

When you get 2 extra base hits in a row the pitcher is feeling the pressure. Don't let him off the hook so easily.

Getting past the bunting thing, I think the primary mention has to be how many players who were mediocre to bad under Ventura, who are seemingly having breakout seasons under Ricky. A lot of guys have made some major progress, at least through the first two months of the season, and not nearly as many have regressed. Avi, Davidson, Yolmer, Leury, Kahnle, Beck, Swarzak, and Holberg at least are all off to great starts from the younger group.

Depending on how much credit/blame you give to a manager, there are some things to look up at.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)
He has no chance since he's an advocate of bunting. That means he's a relic. Can't survive if you approve of the bunt.

I can't tell if you are being facetious or serious with this comment.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 29, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
This is where you think a front office steps in and provides some data to demonstrate how stupid it is to bunt with two strikes.

Welll...this is the same front office who gave Robin 3 years too many for him to get things figured out. It came with the canned talk track of "I'm not here to question his in-game decision making." Hahn, Williams...they always commented something along those lines when reporters would interview them--wondering WHY on EARTH Robin was still employed. I'm just glad we have an actual manager rather than someone who played and didn't even want the job. If he believes he has potential for success on the 2-strike bunt, he's probably got about 2 and a half years to try it out before there's any mention of it from the FO!

Edited by FT35

Who really knows what the exact impact of Renteria has been. If he makes all the difference in the world, I would question what the hell he was doing last year, and from all accounts, he was doing most of the stuff he was doing this year except getting final say on running a game.

Guys have improved. Of course, many couldn't get much worse. Hopefully it holds up. One thing is expectations were zero, and they have played decently. Still not .500, but there probably is at least a little less pressure, at least for the young guys.

They aren't expected to win, they know if they have a bad game or 2 they will still get a chance. It seems the guys who were struggling were vets who are playing for a contract, or a guy like Anderson who is probably trying to justify his every game.

The bunting thing sucks and has probably cost the sox a few runs this year but I've always said a manager should at least either be good tactically or "leader of men" wise. If you get both, he's a top 5-8 in MLB manager. For a minute, Guillen was a great leader of men and alright tactically, he had his s*** lineups and bunts but he was good with the pen.

RV was awful tactically, awful leader of men.

So far Renteria appears mediocre tactically (he does get the value of splits, especially for young players trying to gain confidence) and very good leader of men wise.

Same grade I gave him a couple weeks ago, a solid B.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 30, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
The bunting thing sucks and has probably cost the sox a few runs this year but I've always said a manager should at least either be good tactically or "leader of men" wise. If you get both, he's a top 5-8 in MLB manager. For a minute, Guillen was a great leader of men and alright tactically, he had his s*** lineups and bunts but he was good with the pen.

RV was awful tactically, awful leader of men.

So far Renteria appears mediocre tactically (he does get the value of splits, especially for young players trying to gain confidence) and very good leader of men wise.

Same grade I gave him a couple weeks ago, a solid B.

Interesting. I like the logic.