May 30th Game Thread: ChiSox vs. BoSox

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 30, 2017 -> 08:23 PM)
I love how aggressive Renteria is with the pen sometimes. he understands leverage.

LOL

We definitely need to have those two lefties. You can't get by with just one.

Purke is the next man in line again? Although I guess they'll give Holmberg a few more opportunities, despite his pedestrian stuff. All we need to do is find the left-handed version of Kahnle...but much easier said than done.

Sale can finally breathe a sigh of relief, pitch the bottom of the 5th, and get another win.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2017 -> 02:25 AM)
Jennings has been awful. I think warming up every game and pitch g in a lot of them may have caught up to him.

He's someone that I never quite understood how he got hitters out. Not overpowering velocity and mediocre offspeed

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 30, 2017 -> 09:41 PM)
Wanted to watch the game today.. work circumstances changed that. Sale looks like he's getting worked, and Quintana had a horrible night. Is he just.. bad this year? What's going on there?

Not sure what's up with Q. I do think the WBC threw off his preseason prep, but that can only be an excuse for so long.

5.60 ERA after two months. Unless the next 9 starts are quality, he's not getting moved during the season.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 31, 2017 -> 02:08 AM)
If the Sox had role players like Yolmer, Leury, Davidson etc playing well in previous seasons the rebuild likely never would have started.

If we had a manager the rebuild would not have been necessary. Robin was that bad. Second worst manager in Sox history. To Bevington of course.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 31, 2017 -> 02:24 AM)
Between Q, Rodon, Giolito (until recently), Lopez, Fulmer...it's a mystifying season for almost all of the Sox pitching prospects other than Kopech.

And this game's on a 4+ hour pace. Good god, it has been slow. More like 4 1/2 hours.

Fulmer looks like a miserable first-round pick. And many of you live for the draft, for shame. Rodon meanwhile could go either way.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 31, 2017 -> 02:37 AM)
This loss is on Renteria.

??????

QUOTE (flavum @ May 31, 2017 -> 02:44 AM)
This is Quintana's 162nd career start. The Sox are 74-87 in his starts.

I've been told so many times on this board wins and losses mean NOTHING. So throw that stat out please.

I'm surprised Sale sucked tonight. Thought he'd throw a one-hitter or no no with about 15 Ks. His pitches were for the most part screaming "hit me" just like Q's pitches.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2017 -> 04:10 AM)
Arguing that Fulmer is a bad pick and believing meaningless wins in a non-contending season are important is just comical to me

Do you agree Fulmer has been trash this season in terms of his stuff? I'm really surprised a guy as smart as you thinks it's OK to root for losses. I mean the reward from rooting for losses is a .... better draft pick. Pedro Alvarez ... Mike Trout are calling you on this one.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2017 -> 04:13 AM)
Do you agree Fulmer has been trash this season in terms of his stuff? I'm really surprised a guy as smart as you thinks it's OK to root for losses. I mean the reward from rooting for losses is a .... better draft pick. Pedro Alvarez ... Mike Trout are calling you on this one.

I don't think he's a starting pitcher, but also if the Sox lost two more games that year, they would have got Benintendi

And Happ might even turn out to be the better player.

You're talking Jacoby Ellsbury/Grady Sizemore in his prime for the best that Benintendi can do...what is the closest Happ comparison?

Needless to say, I think 98.9% of White Sox fans would take either one (at this point) instead of Fulmer.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2017 -> 10:13 PM)

You keep saying Pedro Alvarez and Mike Trout like they are ultimate trump cards in this argument you keep dragging out. A draft is tricky for any team, any sport. Players improve at different rates, they regress, some of them plateau. That doesn't mean you completely discount draft position and say "who f***ing cares where we pick? I might get a Mike Trout anywhere." Some players like Bonds and Harper and Griffey actually live up to the billing where they are drafted and made their teams contenders.

Fulmer might be a bust he might figure it out and be a mainstay in the rotation. Nobody knows what he is yet

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2017 -> 03:17 AM)
I don't think he's a starting pitcher, but also if the Sox lost two more games that year, they would have got Benintendi

Cool. At least you admit Fulmer may be a bust.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2017 -> 03:31 AM)
You keep saying Pedro Alvarez and Mike Trout like they are ultimate trump cards in this argument you keep dragging out. A draft is tricky for any team, any sport. Players improve at different rates, they regress, some of them plateau. That doesn't mean you completely discount draft position and say "who f***ing cares where we pick? I might get a Mike Trout anywhere." Some players like Bonds and Harper and Griffey actually live up to the billing where they are drafted and made their teams contenders.

Fulmer might be a bust he might figure it out and be a mainstay in the rotation. Nobody knows what he is yet

Yeah, but if you are looking at this logically, the risk of the draft is what "should" prevent teams from tanking and fans wanting their team to lose. The obvious pick might be a huge bust. In the meantime the joy of winning can not be denied. Look at this season, what if you are a 7th grader Sox fan. You are watching the game with your dad and all excited, but dad inexplicably gets mad and says, "Dammit we need to lose this game!" "Why dad?" "Cause we need the best draft pick possible during this rebuild, son! Don't you get it??"

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
Cool. At least you admit Fulmer may be a bust.

Yeah, but if you are looking at this logically, the risk of the draft is what "should" prevent teams from tanking and fans wanting their team to lose. The obvious pick might be a huge bust. In the meantime the joy of winning can not be denied. Look at this season, what if you are a 7th grader Sox fan. You are watching the game with your dad and all excited, but dad inexplicably gets mad and says, "Dammit we need to lose this game!" "Why dad?" "Cause we need the best draft pick possible during this rebuild, son! Don't you get it??"

There was literally zero logic in all of this. This was "i am a fan and I want them to win" with zero context