Which young Sox hitter/s are you most excited about?

caulfield12

Pick 3 (Discuss)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Most intriguing hitting prospects

• Gavin Sheets (1B, corner OF)
    • Nicky Delmonico (3B/1B/DH)
    • Jameson Fisher (OF)
    • Basabe (CF)
    • Micker Adolfo (RF)
    • Luis Gonzalez (CF/P)
    • Alex Call (OF)
    • Skoug (C/1B/DH)
    • Abbott (1B, polo player)
    • Adam Engel (CF)

Left Tilson, Trey, Alvarez, Dedelow (power hitter from Indiana Univ with low average, outfielder), Danny Hayes, Rymer Liriano, Mendick off the list.

1A. Yoan Moncada

1. Luis Robert

2. Collins

3. Burger

Let's hope we can add to this list when we deal Frazier, Robertson, Melky (mostly salary dump), Swarzak, Holland/MiGo/Pelfrey/Shields. Q, maybe, but still feeling it's doubtful until 2018 at this point.

Then you have to consider that Davidson, Yolmer Sanchez, Avi, Leury have all played themselves into the Sox future to various degrees...with the possible exception of Avi due to the two remaining years on his deal (see Jose Abreu). Then you have Willy Garcia, Saladino (stock down, obviously), Omar and Kevan Smith.

Now Alen Hanson as well.

Cool to hear Konerko and Jim Thome already have reached out of Burger.

Edited by caulfield12

Fisher's cool just for his Boogie Nights moustache. (Guess I left Booker off the list, he seems to have some fans now, too. Jake Peter, maybe not so much. 33/34.)

For me it was a tough call beween Fisher, Adolfo and Skoug. Just because Skoug sounds like Smaug's twin brother dragon from the Hobbit series.

By the way, has Luis Robert passed Tim Anderson in walks this year? 3 for Luis in two games.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)
Micker Adolfo. Hoping he puts it all together, I think the dude can be a stud.

I have visions of Micker and Luis Robert gracing the Sox outfield for many years during the upcoming '20s. Could be something very special.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 08:26 PM)
Micker Adolfo. Hoping he puts it all together, I think the dude can be a stud.

He has the highest upside of anyone on that list, and this is coming from somebody who likes Basabe the most.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=m...itting/2017/ALL

Adolfo's back up over an 800 OPS.

62 K's in 198 at-bats, or 31.3%. 62/206=62/206=30% including walks in PA's.

The one area he hasn't improved much is K/BB percentage. 62 k's and 9 walks (6.9 ratio), compared to his career totals of 268 k's and 44 walks (6/1 ratio, roughly).

Obviously the 24 XB hits are largely carrying his OPS.

(Basabe has been struggling for most of this Carolina League season in the 600-650 range, 641 OPS/221 BA. Just 11 XB hits.)

Edited by caulfield12

Right now I'd say Delmonico by default.

I'm somewhat disappointed with Fisher. For a polished college hitter who is 1 1/2 years old than league average, he should really be dominating low A. And when you account for his defense, he really needs to hit pretty well to be of any real value. I still like Call but it's frustrating that he's missed most of the season. Hopefully he can get back soon and still have close to half of a season to develop. Adolfo has definitely grown his prospect status with a significant improvement in power, but plate discipline still has a long ways to go before I get overly excited. And that leaves Bababe, who has had an extremely disappoint season so far. He still has all the tools and put up a great second half last year, so I'm not going to panic just yet, but he's got to show something before I move him up this list.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 09:38 PM)
I went with Delmonico I think he has 30 HR potential in that bat. Could be an interesting piece.

-

He is Davidson with a worse glove. I could see 15-20 HR but a .250 hitter who maybe could play 1st or DH.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 06:11 AM)
People can't pick three if you don't make the poll with a multiple choice option.

Yeah, I realized what happened after the post went up...can't go in and change it retroactively.

It's okay this way, actually maybe better to only be able to select one.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 07:30 AM)
-

He is Davidson with a worse glove. I could see 15-20 HR but a .250 hitter who maybe could play 1st or DH.

Delmonico's hitting profile is completely different than Davidson's. Nicky has a K rate of 17% this year, while Matt's best season in Charlotte was last year at 26.4%. And this is despite similar power (in game) & BB rates. Delmonico is a much better hitter IMO and has a better chance of sticking in the majors assuming he can find a spot defensively (perhaps LF).

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
Raw power no doubt, but prior to this major league stint, in game power wasn't much different for them at Charlotte.

Where I was going. I watched Davidson for years in the minors. That was one of his best assets as a prospect. Just don't see Nicky generating that in game or not. We'll see.

I'm really interested in Basabe's raw power development.

Fisher seems like a natural born hitter, not sure if he can stick anywhere in the field.

Would be great if Sheets finally provides the left handed pop with an acceptable average we've been chasing since Thome.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
Out of curiosity why would you calculate strikeout rate by ABs and not PAs?

Just simpler...obviously over more at bats, it will matter more. SF, SH, HBP, etc. Basically, no matter how you slice it, Adolfo's still striking out 30% of the time.