Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Agreed. I'm hoping he's suggesting something like Maitan/Pache/Jackson is fair?

Way too much risk for the White Sox in a Maitan/Pache/Jackson package in my opinion. Maitan is 17 and has yet to have a professional at bat, and Pache has just recently started to break out.

Sox will be looking for more established prospects most likely.

I just don't see the Braves having deadline interest, but they could emerge if Quintana is still on the market in the offseason.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
Way too much risk for the White Sox in a Maitan/Pache/Jackson package in my opinion. Maitan is 17 and has yet to have a professional at bat, and Pache has just recently started to break out.

I just don't see the Braves having deadline interest, but they could emerge if Quintana is still on the market in the offseason.

:unsure:

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)

Agreed. Without Acuna, a Braves trade gets too risky or too pitching-heavy and doesn't make as much sense IMO.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
I've mentioned it before, but there's a lot about Albies game reminds me of Yolmer Sanchez. Sanchez appears to be a pretty decent player, but do you want a slightly better version of him being the main piece you acquire in return for Quintana? I'm really not a big fan.

Albies projects to be a far better player than Sanchez.

60/65 hit tool, 40/45 power, 65/70 speed, 55/60 field, 55/60 arm = a very good player with major upside

A .759 OPS at age 20 in AAA is very impressive and Albies has the tools to be part of a championship roster as a great #1 or #2 hitter

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Albies projects to be a far better player than Sanchez.

60/65 hit tool, 40/45 power, 65/70 speed, 55/60 field, 55/60 arm = a very good player with major upside

A .759 OPS at age 20 in AAA is very impressive and Albies has the tools to be part of a championship roster as a great #1 or #2 hitter

His arm does nothing for you at 2b. His speed and ability to get on base are going to be your largest areas of improvement over Sanchez, and while those may even be fairly significant, is that really the best use of your assets? Particularly when you consider Moncada?

Not saying the dude won't be a very good player, but unfortunately he just isn't a great fit for us.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Agreed. I'm hoping he's suggesting something like Maitan/Pache/Jackson is fair?

Alex Jackson has had a pretty nice rebound year so far, and is back catching again. That would be a piece I would like to get a hold of as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
His arm does nothing for you at 2b. His speed and ability to get on base are going to be your largest areas of improvement over Sanchez, and while those may even be fairly significant, is that really the best use of your assets? Particularly when you consider Moncada?

Not saying the dude won't be a very good player, but unfortunately he just isn't a great fit for us.

I would be looking at acquiring the best players available, almost regardless of position at this point in the rebuild. I doubt Atlanta would even want to part with Albies.

Outside of power, there is not much to not like about him, and he can play multiple positions.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 01:36 PM)
I would be looking at acquiring the best players available, almost regardless of position at this point in the rebuild. I doubt Atlanta would even want to part with Albies.

Outside of power, there is not much to not like about him, and he can play multiple positions.

Yeah, I mean I generally agree with you, but the middle of the infield is the one spot where we really don't have a need.

Agreed about them not wanting to move him anyways.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:38 PM)
Yeah, I mean I generally agree with you, but the middle of the infield is the one spot where we really don't have a need.

Agreed about them not wanting to move him anyways.

Can always convert middle infielders into outfielders since they are athletic enough. And are we all convinced that Moncada will lock down 2B with his defense? Or will he be one of those guys who breaks in as a MI but ends up in the OF?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
Can always convert middle infielders into outfielders since they are athletic enough. And are we all convinced that Moncada will lock down 2B with his defense? Or will he be one of those guys who breaks in as a MI but ends up in the OF?

I want Moncada in CF, but MI's without power don't really play well at other positions unless they are in center.

His arm would play, but his place really needs to be up the middle.

I'd prefer Maitan because he's a guy that is a few years away and can potentially play SS if TA doesn't pan out, or else potentially move to 3b.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)
I want Moncada in CF, but MI's without power don't really play well at other positions unless they are in center.

His arm would play, but his place really needs to be up the middle.

I'd prefer Maitan because he's a guy that is a few years away and can potentially play SS if TA doesn't pan out, or else potentially move to 3b.

I'd like Maitan, but not as the center piece. Way too young and inexperienced to be the center piece in a Q deal.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)

Moncada's weakest tool is arguably his defense. With his arm and speed I really wonder how he would do in center field?

Very hypothetically speaking, you could move Moncada to center, and have Albies play 2B.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
I'd like Maitan, but not as the center piece. Way too young and inexperienced to be the center piece in a Q deal.

If you want to make a deal with the Braves, I just think he makes the most sense.

It may turn out that there are other packages from other teams that make more sense.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)

Q is our last major trade chip and I agree that the Sox won't want to center a deal around such a young player as Maitan. Plus, his mlb ETA would have to be late 2020 or 2021 at the earliest right now?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
If you want to make a deal with the Braves, I just think he makes the most sense.

It may turn out that there are other packages from other teams that make more sense.

The Braves farm is so deep that I think they could come up with many compelling offers if they really wanted to get something done.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
Q is our last major trade chip and I agree that the Sox won't want to center a deal around such a young player as Maitan. Plus, his mlb ETA would have to be late 2020 or 2021 at the earliest right now?

He hasn't taken a swing yet in North American baseball. 2020 would have him debut at 20. That seems pretty quick to me, but then again, if he is as good as has been advertised, that might be possible. My guess would be more like 2022 or so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
He hasn't taken a swing yet in North American baseball. 2020 would have him debut at 20. That seems pretty quick to me, but then again, if he is as good as has been advertised, that might be possible. My guess would be more like 2022 or so.

22 years old....that seems reasonable.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
The Braves farm is so deep that I think they could come up with many compelling offers if they really wanted to get something done.

You may very well be right...I suppose I just have my own preference of a position player headlining the deal, which keeps bringing me to Maitan.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:54 PM)
You may very well be right...I suppose I just have my own preference of a position player headlining the deal, which keeps bringing me to Maitan.

I drool over the superstar potential of Maitan as well, but if we are looking at a deadline deal for Q it will be to a contender.

Despite being across town, Quintana to the Cubs makes alot of sense. Arrieta is likely gone after this season, and Lackey is looking washed up.

Would a Jimenez/Cease/Candelario deal end up benefiting both sides? Cubs window is the next 2-3 seasons before players start hitting expensive arbitration years and Lester really ages. Quintana gives them a cost controlled starter, keeping money free to pursue a high priced free agent starter. Cubs do not have any minor league starters that are close to the major league level right now.

I don't think this ends up happening, but in a vacuum it makes sense for each side.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
I drool over the superstar potential of Maitan as well, but if we are looking at a deadline deal for Q it will be to a contender.

Despite being across town, Quintana to the Cubs makes alot of sense. Arrieta is likely gone after this season, and Lackey is looking washed up.

Would a Jimenez/Cease/Candelario deal end up benefiting both sides? Cubs window is the next 2-3 seasons before players start hitting expensive arbitration years and Lester really ages. Quintana gives them a cost controlled starter, keeping money free to pursue a high priced free agent starter. Cubs do not have any minor league starters that are close to the major league level right now.

I don't think this ends up happening, but in a vacuum it makes sense for each side.

The Cubs top 3 for Q? Yeah, done.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:08 PM)

Yeah, there is no doubt this makes sense for the Cubs. But you think you are basically going to get those three guys but not that package I mentioned earlier from the Braves?

I also dispute that Q will necessarily go to a contender. I think he likely will, but as I posted a few weeks ago, his contract and general makeup make him attractive for a team like the Braves or the Pirates in my estimation as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
The Cubs top 3 for Q? Yeah, done.

Their system really falls off after Jimenez. Who else would you realistically accept that is not on the major league roster? (Not Schwarber either, I doubt he gets moved)

Jimenez/De la Cruz/Candelario?

Anything less and I don't think it would be a good deal for the Sox

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
Their system really falls off after Jimenez. Who else would you realistically accept that is not on the major league roster? (Not Schwarber either, I doubt he gets moved)

Jimenez/De la Cruz/Candelario?

Anything less and I don't think it would be a good deal for the Sox

So is Ian Happ just off the table now because he got called up?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
Yeah, there is no doubt this makes sense for the Cubs. But you think you are basically going to get those three guys but not that package I mentioned earlier from the Braves?

I also dispute that Q will necessarily go to a contender. I think he likely will, but as I posted a few weeks ago, his contract and general makeup make him attractive for a team like the Braves or the Pirates in my estimation as well.

Perhaps

Pirates farm system has largely taken a dump this season. Newman sporting a .628 OPS and Meadows (injured) with a .671 is pretty weak.

Keller has been good, but has also dealt with injury issues.

I'm glad we never got a Q to the Pirates deal done, I think we would have ended up regretting it.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
Perhaps

Pirates farm system has largely taken a dump this season. Newman sporting a .628 OPS and Meadows (injured) with a .671 is pretty weak.

Keller has been good, but has also dealt with injury issues.

I'm glad we never got a Q to the Pirates deal done, I think we would have ended up regretting it.

I think the Pirates are also ok not doing the deal. Those guys could bounce back the rest of this season or even next but they need more than Q to compete this season.

Edited by soxfan2014