Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
Perhaps

Pirates farm system has largely taken a dump this season. Newman sporting a .628 OPS and Meadows (injured) with a .671 is pretty weak.

Keller has been good, but has also dealt with injury issues.

I'm glad we never got a Q to the Pirates deal done, I think we would have ended up regretting it.

You obviously know your farm systems better than me, but do you think maybe you are writing off some of these guys a bit hastily?

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
So is Ian Happ just off the table now because he got called up?

Not necessarily, but teams are less likely to part with productive major league pieces at the deadline. Happ has been a quality player in his cup of tea, making him less likely to be moved I feel.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
You obviously know your farm systems better than me, but do you think maybe you are writing off some of these guys a bit hastily?

I'm not writing them off completely, but Glasnow, Meadows, Newman's stock are all undoubtedly down right now, somewhat big time.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 02:30 PM)
I'm not writing them off completely, but Glasnow, Meadows, Newman's stock are all undoubtedly down right now, somewhat big time.

I've never loved Newman, but I would still be interested in Glasnow/Meadows/Keller.

This is why I sort of chuckle at those who say you have to trade a guy at the deadline or the offseason, or whatever. I mean, if we are to get this up or down on any of these kids, the volatility of the currency you are getting in return outweighs the timing of trading your MLB asset such as to make it almost meaningless.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)

Between the injuries and performance I don't think the Sox could make Meadows the centerpiece of a trade even if he was available. Just my 2c

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
He hasn't taken a swing yet in North American baseball. 2020 would have him debut at 20. That seems pretty quick to me, but then again, if he is as good as has been advertised, that might be possible. My guess would be more like 2022 or so.

Which is exactly why he can't be the centerpiece to a Quintana trade. Yes, you want multiple waves of talent in a rebuild, but it's absolutely critical to have that first wave or two be filled with boatloads of talent so you actually have a quality foundation to build around. You don't trade your most valuable trade asset for a guy 5+ years when you still have significant positional gaps in the top half of your system. We desperately to need a few more high ceiling bats that can be paired with Moncada, Robert, Collins, Burger, etc. in the next 2 to 3 years.

If Q is getting moved to the cubs I would think something like this gets it done

Jimenez, Cease, Albertos & Caratini

If the Braves want to get involved great.

Maitan, Acuna, Gohara & Pache

but by trading Q for either of those packages there will be no doubt that they won't compete till '20 at the earliest.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 06:42 PM)
If Q is getting moved to the cubs I would think something like this gets it done

Jimenez, Cease, Albertos & Caratini

If the Braves want to get involved great.

Maitan, Acuna, Gohara & Pache

but by trading Q for either of those packages there will be no doubt that they won't compete till '20 at the earliest.

I'm no expert on the Cubs system (or Braves for that matter), but that Braves package is much better than the Cubs. Jimenez is the best prospect of the bunch, however.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
Agreed some of these proposals are ludicrous.

Why don't you and BMags, the sages that you are, propose something that is more reasonable, so the rest of us can be enlightened.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 06:55 PM)
People are going to be very disappointed with the return.

Seeing as though I thought the Sale trade was a Rodriguez or Groome (or Devers instead of Basabe) short, I agree. But I just don't think the Sox will make sizably lesss than their demands, so I think he ultimately stays here for the time being.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 07:25 PM)
Seeing as though I thought the Sale trade was a Rodriguez or Groome (or Devers instead of Basabe) short, I agree. But I just don't think the Sox will make sizably lesss than their demands, so I think he ultimately stays here for the time being.

I think Sox won't back down on the top target I think what fills after that will be unexpected.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 07:17 PM)
Why don't you and BMags, the sages that you are, propose something that is more reasonable, so the rest of us can be enlightened.

I don't think the Sox will back down from a high price and he won't be traded.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 01:17 AM)

In no way referring to you. Outside of you disliking Calhoun, we are on same page.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
In no way referring to you. Outside of you disliking Calhoun, we are on same page.

Hey, if you say we need Calhoun, I am on board!

And I am just as guilty as anyone in overvaluing Q as anyone...I just want to hear what you guys think is more reasonable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 12:48 AM)
Hey, if you say we need Calhoun, I am on board!

And I am just as guilty as anyone in overvaluing Q as anyone...I just want to hear what you guys think is more reasonable.

A scout compared Calhoun to Altuve offensively this week

I like a lot of players. My favorite proposal was Yankees with Frazier Adams and Florial. I really like Braves system including Albies. He's a player ruined by comp bias, and anytime I see a player with reviews about baseball IQ and acumen I just think they end up as those undervalued cogs on teams like the Giants that just win.

If we go Cubs, I think if we get Jimenez it's backed out by players like Albertos Ademan and Wilson, further from majors and easier to sell out on. Pick 2.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 06:16 PM)
I like a lot of players. My favorite proposal was Yankees with Frazier Adams and Florial. I really like Braves system including Albies. He's a player ruined by comp bias, and anytime I see a player with reviews about baseball IQ and acumen I just think they end up as those undervalued cogs on teams like the Giants that just win.

If we go Cubs, I think if we get Jimenez it's backed out by players like Albertos Ademan and Wilson, further from majors and easier to sell out on. Pick 2.

Well, you're talking a top 20 in all of baseball type, another guy that is probably a top 75 or so, and another guy in Florial that has really progressed recently.

I don't know that you are that far off some of the cool-aid type packages that are being bandied about in this thread.