Did Hahn acquire enough offense?

shipps

So now that our three biggest assets have been traded at the start of this rebuild a HUGE need was to acquire the young positional talent with transcending offense potential. While I am happy with the top end guys that he has acquired so far the only reservation I have is that he may not have received enough back offensively. Dont get me wrong, im not extremely concerned because I do love what he has added so far including the draft picks but we all know that not everyone of these guys are going to pan out so you need to overflow as much as you can. Should he have added more depth for our future offense to account for misses with the elite guys?

Yes, especially considering they used practically the entire 2017 draft on offense.

Bigger gaps reside in defense at certain positions and perhaps pitching, imo.

The tear down should be 80% done in about 2 weeks. Then the really difficult work beings; building a contending major league team.

All he should have done was taken the best offers. Teams are not lining up to give away their best positional prospects. Acquiring 2 of the top 10 positional prospects, signing another 1 that could climb to that list quickly, along with a bunch of power arms + drafting + $80m to spend to fill holes is great.

There's plenty of bats(albeit a lot at the lower levels) in the system now. Add to that the emergence of a guy or two or three in the majors that have proven they can maybe be every day players and there's plenty of offensive capability to make this thing work.

This was a critical part of the rebuild, but now we have to draft well, sign well, and try to acquire post-hype change-of-scenery candidates. This thing is a numbers game -- a lot of our favorite guys right now are going to bust. We have to amass enough that we get enough hits despite the inevitable attrition, and you can't do that just by trading three or four big platers, no matter how well you do it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 07:37 PM)
No, he hasn't, but there are still many trades to be made and I'm sure those will be focused on offensive prospects. Not to mention our top-3 pick next year will likely be a position player as well.

Well, we aren't getting any top flight talent out of what is left. Now it comes down to drafting and scouting.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 08:20 PM)
Yes

C: Collins

1b: Sheets

2b: Moncada

SS:

3B: Burger

LF: Jimenez

CF: Robert

RF: Basabe

Plug Anderson in at short if he can fix his defensive issues, maybe sign Machado, and the Sox could have a dynamic line up in 2-3 years

That's my worry. This scenario is if ALL pan out.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 08:22 PM)
That's my worry. This scenario is if ALL pan out.

I think we have more redundancy than that.

They aren't as high profile yet but your Adolfo's / Skougs area other level and possible leaps from Gonzalez / Call / Fisher / Booker and you also have guys like Josue Guerrero.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)

They aren't as high profile yet but your Adolfo's / Skougs area other level and possible leaps from Gonzalez / Call / Fisher / Booker and you also have guys like Josue Guerrero.

As well as Delmonico, and emergence from Davidson, Sanchez, Engel and Leury.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)

Right. And took out Anderson and didn't include Leury or Yolmer or Davidson and didn't include any of the 8 billion dollars we'll have to fill holes. Nobody knows what the future holds but there's plenty of offensive capability in this organization now.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
Well, we aren't getting any top flight talent out of what is left. Now it comes down to drafting and scouting.

Right, I meant there will be more depth type guys behind the big names we have that will at least add some sort of protection.

And, the draft pick.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 08:35 PM)
We are really weak at SS still. Basically Dickman and Curbelo.

If there is a SS available in the draft next year I would be surprised if we didn't draft him. Especially if we sign Avi to a long term deal

Even though I think Anderson as a 8 or 9 hitter is fine on a playoff team if he can get his defense together

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 13, 2017 -> 08:42 PM)
I'll believe Anderson is a quality major league shortstop until he sucks next season. Dude is going to be fine imo.

I think he'll be fine too. But if there's a position I'm fine hoarding it's SS.