aboz56

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

press release

White Sox dismiss manager Jerry Manuel

CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox have relieved Jerry Manuel of his duties as the team's manager. The announcement was made this afternoon by White Sox general manager Ken Williams.

"We have nothing but the highest regard and respect for Jerry Manuel, the person and the man," said Williams. "However, since reaching the playoffs in 2000 and despite high expectations, this team has not won enough baseball games. It remains our goal to reach the playoffs, and ultimately, the World Series. At this time, we have reached the conclusion that a new direction is necessary."

The 2003 White Sox finished 86-76, in second place, 4.0 games behind the Minnesota Twins.

Manuel, 49, ranks fourth all-time in franchise history with 500 victories (500-471). Manuel's winning percentage of .515 ranks 11th among managers in club history. The Sox captured the American League Central Division title in 2000 with a 95-67 record, and Manuel was named Manager of the Year. During his six-season tenure, the White Sox were 80-82 (2nd) in 1998, 75-86 (2nd) in 1999, 95-67 (1st) in 2000, 83-79 (3rd) in 2001, 81-81 (2nd) in 2002 and 86-76 (2nd) this season.

"Jerry Manuel typifies class, character and integrity," said Williams. "He brought those attributes to the ballpark every day for six years for the White Sox regardless of the team's won-loss record at the time. We all respect that approach to the game of baseball and to life, and everyone associated with the White Sox wishes Jerry the very best going forward."

Manuel was named the 36th White Sox manager on December 4, 1997, replacing Terry Bevington.

"Jerry Manuel typifies class, character and integrity," said Williams. "He brought those attributes to the ballpark every day for six years for the White Sox regardless of the team's won-loss record at the time. We all respect that approach to the game of baseball and to life, and everyone associated with the White Sox wishes Jerry the very best going forward."

I couldn't agree more. So long, Jerry. Best of luck to you in all you do.

I'm guessing if they get someone in who's really experienced and they really want. Like a return of LaRussa, for example... they will do what they need to to get him there, including firing more coaches.

If KW wants to win that badly, and wants a manager that he thinks he can do the job that badly, he'll do what needs to be done. After all, if they are offering Colon a wheelbarrow of cash, next year won't be white flag at spring training.

Bruce Kimm..... Fired twice in 2 years....I feel for him and his family... I hope finds a job somewhere.

As for Jerry.... The team never recovered after the injuries in 2001, it's time for a new era in Whitesox baseball. I have no ill-regards left for jerry... just hope he never manages on this team again.

Does this mean we'll se no tinkering next year???

He gawn, and I love it!!!

If we "miraculously" get Tony LaRussa over here, probably not.

But if we get a manager with a brain, yes, it will be the end of it.

Anyone would be better then that assclown JM. He was nothing more then a mediocre manager at best. 500-471 in like 6 or 7 years? That's terrible. If I'm counting right, that's like 5 games over .500 per year, or in other words, usually somewhere around 84-78 and 83-79.....and he had a year where "he" won 95 games too. So aside from 2000, he was 1 game over .500 for his entire career.

Not a second too early...in fact, probably a year or two too late.

Well I wish ya the best Jerry. You weren't horrible but the job wasn't done the past few years and it was time for a change.

I'm really loving the idea of Ozzie Guillen taking over and I am fairly confident thats what you will see happen. He can then bring someone else with him, maybe even Harold Baines for all I know.

If the Sox were gonna get Larussa then they probably would of waited to fire any of the coaches other then Jerry, imo.

I like Jerry, but I do think that it might be time to move on. Hell, it is time, obviously. I just don't think it was all his fault, and find most fault in the crappy hitting (or lack of hitting) this year. But eh, what can ya do?

That being said though, for the first time since I found my love for baseball and all things White Sox again (believe it or not, '95!!!), this is the best I have felt about the team and the future yet. I really think that whatever moves are made this winter will seriously show the other organizations that the Sox plan to take it all next year.

Though, for the first time in my 33 years I might just be being a little optimistic and this time next year I will be placing a sleeping bag for myself on the north bound lane of the Kennedy.

I like Jerry, but I do think that it might be time to move on. Hell, it is time, obviously. I just don't think it was all his fault, and find most fault in the crappy hitting (or lack of hitting) this year. But eh, what can ya do?

That being said though, for the first time since I found my love for baseball and all things White Sox again (believe it or not, '95!!!), this is the best I have felt about the team and the future yet. I really think that whatever moves are made this winter will seriously show the other organizations that the Sox plan to take it all next year.

Though, for the first time in my 33 years I might just be being a little optimistic and this time next year I will be placing a sleeping bag for myself on the north bound lane of the Kennedy.

Welcome :headbang

Jerry was a horrible game day manager. Over those 6 yrs, the team's preparation as evidenced in scouting reports, etc. was piss-poor. This is one of the reason we struggled with pitchers we have never faced.

Jerry was a momentum killer. He would not allow for continuity in a lineup, a rotation, or a bullpen.

If Carlos Lee is the team's MVP when hitting #2 in the lineup why the F would you move him?

Jerry failed miserably at the little things. If not for the dominant pitching by some unlikely heros in 2000 the SOX would never have seen the playoffs under his term.

Jerry your a nice guy, but get a F'g clue when it comes to managing in the Big leagues.

We wish you well, but don't come back.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Over those 6 yrs, the team's preparation as evidenced in scouting reports, etc. was piss-poor. This is one of the reason we struggled with pitchers we have never faced.

and shouldnt some of that piss poor reporting go to the piss poor scouting we have here???? afterall they are paid to scope out the opponents and report back..... obviously they didnt do either....... ;) cant blame that all on jm.......

Its great to see that the Sox moves this year and attempts at a win brought ya back. I think the Sox are gonna have to continue to try and go for it all next year and in the future years if they want to win a lot of the other fans they've pretty much pissed off.

I can only hope they will stay agressive and up the payroll and be willing to take the shots to become a world series champ.

All I can say is if they blow this thing up...I'll be extremely pissed.