Moncada being called up

Sockin

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:33 PM)
Would've rather seen Delmonico.

I love Delmonico's bat and I look forward to seeing him up at some point. Perfect guy for a rebuild (someone we could turn into a traceable asset in a few years...bat I think will play...defensive flaws...maybe he plays into better then that). I really think his bat will play though.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:31 PM)
Those are the EXACT type of moves you have to do to compete nowadays if you can't have a 250m payroll. Lock a young guy up who shows promise for pennies and you hit the lotto, if he busts it's not a franchise crippling deal.

Have you seem his splits? I mean, NO ONE can look @ those mediocre numbers (relative to his talent level), and say that he's ready without being full of b.s.

Also, when you don't have a $250MM payroll, you MUST get player development right. You simply can't rush it, because you can't out spend any developmental mistakes.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:34 PM)
nothing unless you wanted to really piss the kid off and keep him down until next july. anybody thinking about control at this point is being myopic. they already avoided super 2; the kid is ready to play everyday under pro conditions with pro coaches. He isn't going to learn much more in

AAA .

Oh then it's fine, he was coming up this year at some point. If now or September are the same thing control wise then why not, even if it is a marketing move.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:35 PM)
Have you seem his splits? I mean, NO ONE can look @ those mediocre numbers (relative to his talent level), and say that he's ready without beig full of b.s.

Also, when you don't have a $250MM payroll, you MUST get player development right. You simply can't rush it, because you can't out spend any developmental mistakes.

Yeah, you get player development right....and then they leave in free agency or you have to give them 30% of your team's payroll.

You get player development right AND sign these deals.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:35 PM)
Oh then it's fine, he was coming up this year at some point. If now or September are the same thing control wise then why not, even if it is a marketing move.

it's not a marketing move, seriously, what about this rebuild gives you that idea? This kid has maintaining #1 prospect status all year for a reason. Look beyond the slash line and see a guy that isn't going to learn how to be a big leaguer facing minor league pitchers. He's 22 and had about 200 PA above A ball coming into this year, including his "flop" last year in his 30 odd PA in MLB. Boston thought he could help them down the strech, obviously that was optimistic, but the Sox got this kid 4 months in AAA and he more than held his own.

Of course he has work to do. It seems like some people believe that development stops once you reach the majors. From an individual stand point it'll do him better to be in the majors than it would to stay down in Charlotte. It's the right time to call him up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:40 PM)
How can any Sox fan complain about an extension to a young guy? It's been the best thing the organization has done over last five years. Anderson might flop, but it doesn't mean it was a bad idea.

This rebuild was literally made possible by those contracts.

Anderson has time to work and Moncada can to. We need to get guys up and learning if we intend to truly contend in a few years. Maybe we could have waited a bit longer, but at some point, get him with your best coaches and put in the work and get him time to develop. We'd have to wait until what, next June if we wanted to extend a year of control. Does anyone legitimately think we were going to do that, so at this point, while he hasn't totally dominated, I think he's proven that he's held his own and we can have him up and learn (just like Anderson will learn from this season and hopefully make adjustments in the 2nd half of this year and again in the off-season to rebound and get back to being the player we think he will).

We'll also likely start seeing some of our future pitchers emerge onto the seen and get better too. Not everyone will pan out and players are going to take time to develop and this process will take time.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:39 PM)
it's not a marketing move, seriously, what about this rebuild gives you that idea? This kid has maintaining #1 prospect status all year for a reason. Look beyond the slash line and see a guy that isn't going to learn how to be a big leaguer facing minor league pitchers. He's 22 and had about 200 PA above A ball coming into this year, including his "flop" last year in his 30 odd PA in MLB. Boston thought he could help them down the strech, obviously that was optimistic, but the Sox got this kid 4 months in AAA and he more than held his own.

I view the skewed numbers coming out of Charlotte the same way I view the artificial numbers from a lot of places in the PCL. The park factor has skewed his numbers, IMO.

Given his poor numbers v LHP, & poor numbers away from Charlotte, & his decline in performance over the course of the season, & this org's s***ty track record with prospects, I'm naturally concerned.

I hope that I'm wrong, & I hope that Moncada overperforms. But I have reasons for my doubts.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)
Anderson has time to work and Moncada can to. We need to get guys up and learning if we intend to truly contend in a few years. Maybe we could have waited a bit longer, but at some point, get him with your best coaches and put in the work and get him time to develop. We'd have to wait until what, next June if we wanted to extend a year of control. Does anyone legitimately think we were going to do that, so at this point, while he hasn't totally dominated, I think he's proven that he's held his own and we can have him up and learn (just like Anderson will learn from this season and hopefully make adjustments in the 2nd half of this year and again in the off-season to rebound and get back to being the player we think he will).

We'll also likely start seeing some of our future pitchers emerge onto the seen and get better too. Not everyone will pan out and players are going to take time to develop and this process will take time.

:wub:

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:40 PM)
How can any Sox fan complain about an extension to a young guy? It's been the best thing the organization has done over last five years. Anderson might flop, but it doesn't mean it was a bad idea.

I can't conflate the extensions to Eaton, Sale, or Q to the one given to Anderson.

There was much more evidence supporting good outcomes for the other three, whereas Anderson hadn't earned it, other than his artificial Babip he had in 2016. Anderson hadn't earned his extension, any more than Moncada earned his call up.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:48 PM)
Goodbye, Yolmer Sanchez experiment. Wonder if we'll trade him now. We don't need Saladino, Sanchez, and Hansen (keep in mind Leury will come back and then there's Engel/Willy Garcia both in AAA). That's overkill.

eh if anything Yolmer has dibs on 3B now. At least against RHP.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:49 PM)
I can't conflate the extensions to Eaton, Sale, or Q to the one given to Anderson.

There was much more evidence supporting good outcomes for the other three, whereas Anderson hadn't earned it, other than his artificial Babip he had in 2016. Anderson hadn't earned his extension, any more than Moncada earned his call up.

Derailing the thread , but the Sox basically bet on TA being a 1 WAR or better SS over the next 5-7 years. That's not exactly a bad bet. You have to pay him one way or another. 25 million is almost ash tray money.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 04:45 AM)
I view the skewed numbers coming out of Charlotte the same way I view the artificial numbers from a lot of places in the PCL. The park factor has skewed his numbers, IMO.

Given his poor numbers v LHP, & poor numbers away from Charlotte, & his decline in performance over the course of the season, & this org's s***ty track record with prospects, I'm naturally concerned.

I hope that I'm wrong, & I hope that Moncada overperforms. But I have reasons for my doubts.

Come on take a stand. He will either make it or not. And I feel strongly both ways about that I

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:26 PM)
IMO he is bored in AAA at this point. I would rather him develop here, he has no pressure because we aren't competing to trying to compete. He isn't a savior and can just focus on playing baseball and getting use tot major league pitching

I totally agree that he's bored in AAA. I was going to post that.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:51 PM)
Derailing the thread , but the Sox basically bet on TA being a 1 WAR or better SS over the next 5-7 years. That's not exactly a bad bet. You have to pay him one way or another. 25 million is almost ash tray money.

Tell me more about ashtray money. Thats hilarious and true

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 12:06 AM)
Tell me more about ashtray money. Thats hilarious and true

Dykstra writes a financial-advice column for TheStreet.com, but a series of embarrassing suits has portrayed him as a credit risk.

His former legal team in the DDK & Co. case resigned after accusing him of being a deadbeat on his legal bills.

The former center fielder bristled when reminded of the private jet company suing him for allegedly trying to dodge a $7,000 bill.

"That's ashtray money, bro," said Dykstra, who has earned millions as a car wash mogul.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:51 PM)

And if they kept him on the league minimum, they'd have paid him less, and not committed the SS role to him.

This is where having a modicum of meritocracy could have saved this org both money on an underperformer, & saved time by being able to move on more easily from Anderson. (KW to RH: "s***, we can't send him down, we just gave him $25MM, & we'll all look stupid if we do, Rick!")

As it stands, they'll ride Anderson and his (snicker) 64 wrc+ until they gather the courage to admit that his extension was a gift he didn't earn.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 12:13 AM)
And if they kept him on the league minimum, they'd have paid him less, and not committed the SS role to him.

This is where having a modicum of meritocracy could have saved this org both money on an underperformer, & saved time by being able to move on more easily from Anderson. (KW to RH: "s***, we can't send him down, we just gave him $25MM, & we'll all look stupid if we do, Rick!")

As it stands, they'll ride Anderson and his (snicker) 64 wrc+ until they gather the courage to admit that his extension was a gift he didn't earn.

Or, maybe next season, when he has gotten over the unexpected death of his best friend, he'll play better.