Ongoing storm disaster thread

bmags

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 08:35 PM)
So yeah, its pretty wet here currently

Some of us were able to go back to work today, still no delivery services running. Hopefully they are back tomorrow.

Let ST know if you need anything. My company gave 1M and I dont think thats enough

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you even talking about?

Deflect deflect deflect when you can't answer a simple question that would create a big gaping hole in your argument. Fair enough. But we can all see you. Transparent AF.

Are you saying that it is just as certain that this hurricane is a direct result of global warming as it was that the sun and moon would align? Ludicrous comparison. Idiotic.

The worst hurricane in American history hit Galveston and Houston over one hundred years ago. This is not a freak occurrence for the Texas coast. To say man caused this is certainly not disprovable, but at the same time anyone saying they know for a fact this storm wouldn't have happened if it weren't for air pollution is straight up lying.

Edited by Alexeihyeess

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)

Dont worry, Pruitt will make sure its all ok. And by that, I mean he will make sure no company is responsible for polluting the environment

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)

Last year the Houston Chronicle ran a multi-part series on how regulators basically have no idea what's being held at any of these chemical plants and there's no one trying to figure it out. Yesterday when the possibility of this plant exploding was raised, a scientist from here was quoted saying that it would never explode because all you have to do is add a compound to the explosive chemical that neutralizes it and, although you'd lose that batch of chemical, it's better than an explosion. The professor didn't even consider the concept that they wouldn't have any of the chemical to neutralize the hazardous stuff on site, it was just "of course they have that". 24 hours later it was exploding because they didn't have any.

Serious question. Beaumont has no water. What do you do if you wake up and didn't fill the bathtubs with water and all the roads are flooded? So it's 9 a.m. and you have no water and no water will be coming for a while. The whole city is without water.

What do you do? All this stuff is scary and sad both.

I'm so spoiled if I wake up and can't take a shower I'd be pissed/inconvenienced beyond belief. We're talking no water to drink here and they say they don't know when there will be water. Some people don't stock up on bottled water for whatever reason.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Serious question. Beaumont has no water. What do you do if you wake up and didn't fill the bathtubs with water and all the roads are flooded? So it's 9 a.m. and you have no water and no water will be coming for a while. The whole city is without water.

What do you do? All this stuff is scary and sad both.

I'm so spoiled if I wake up and can't take a shower I'd be pissed/inconvenienced beyond belief. We're talking no water to drink here and they say they don't know when there will be water. Some people don't stock up on bottled water for whatever reason.

You try not to die and prioritize keeping your kids alive. Bottled water is flowing into that area. Find aid however you can. Survival mode. Priority #1 is potable water, #2 is shelter, #3 is food, in that order.

Harvey also looks like it was more of a "1000 year flood" event rather than "500 year flood"

As Harvey’s rains unfolded, the intensity and scope of the disaster were so enormous that weather forecasters, first responders, the victims, everyone really, couldn’t believe their eyes. Now the data are bearing out what everyone suspected: This flood event is on an entirely different scale than what we’ve seen before in the United States.

A new analysis from the University of Wisconsin’s Space Science and Engineering Center has determined that Harvey is a 1-in-1,000-year flood event that has overwhelmed an enormous section of Southeast Texas equivalent in size to New Jersey.

There is nothing in the historical record that rivals this, according to Shane Hubbard, the Wisconsin researcher who made and mapped this calculation. “In looking at many of these events [in the United States], I’ve never seen anything of this magnitude or size,” he said. “This is something that hasn’t happened in our modern era of observations.”

Hubbard made additional calculations that accentuate the massive scale of the disaster:

--At least 20 inches of rain fell over an area (nearly 29,000 square miles) larger than 10 states, including West Virginia and Maryland (by a factor of more than two).

--At least 30 inches of rain fell over an area (more than 11,000 square miles) equivalent to Maryland’s size.

A 1,000-year flood event, as its names implies, is exceptionally rare. It signifies just a 0.1 percent chance of such an event happening in any given year. “Or, a better way to think about it is that 99.9 percent of the time, such an event will never happen,” Hubbard said.

Apart from Harvey, there’s simply no record of a 1,000-year event occupying so much real estate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital...ented-in-scale/

Quebec offers blankets, beds and hydro crews to Texas in wake of Hurricane Harvey

Texas Secretary of State says no need for now, asks for prayers instead

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/que...arvey-1.4267387

I don't think they need blankets and beds. Hydro crews is also a weird thing to send.

I mean it's the United States of America, a fully developed post-industrial country. If they want blankets in Houston they don't have to go very far, same goes for cots.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
I don't think they need blankets and beds. Hydro crews is also a weird thing to send.

I mean it's the United States of America, a fully developed post-industrial country. If they want blankets in Houston they don't have to go very far, same goes for cots.

Thousands of displaced citizens don't need blankets and beds? Strange

Thousands of displaced citizens don't need blankets and beds? Strange

From all the way in Quebec? Probably not. If this disaster struck Haiti it would make more sense, but Texas alone has a larger GDP than all of Canada. They have cots. They have blankets. Asking for prayers is not some delusional Texas politician valuing the will of Jesus over actual relief, he's just trying to politely say they do not require the type of assistance being offered by Quebec.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 06:47 PM)
Bleacher Report‏Verified account @BleacherReport 2h2 hours ago J.J. Watt's fundraiser for Hurricane Harvey relief is now over $10M thanks to a $200K donation from Drake http://ble.ac/2grKyid

Awesome. You know somebody mentioned it on this board not too long ago. But as much as we Americans hate on each other, in a total crisis, every time there is a horrific crisis, America comes together. It's very weird. When things are A-OK normal we have Black Lives Matter runnning amok. We have white supremist morons running amok. We have mass murderers running amok. But when we have crisis, American always shell out money. Have you seen all the tweets from people offering shelter in their own homes, etc? We are a very very weird country. I mean I'm grateful for how we help each other in crisis. But then when things are normal, we despise each other.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 07:58 PM)
Quebec offers blankets, beds and hydro crews to Texas in wake of Hurricane Harvey

Texas Secretary of State says no need for now, asks for prayers instead

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/que...arvey-1.4267387

The secretary of state erred here. WTF? Take the blankets and beds. WTF?

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)

You should pretty much leave this thread at this point. What on earth...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
It's 15 days out and I guess anything beyond 10 days in hurricane/tropical storm models gets pretty wonky, but we could be in for either Round 2 in Houston or a major hurricane hitting the east coast as we're still trying to clean up and wait for the waters to go down after Harvey.

DIkE6lUUIAEnFU4.jpg

This is legitimately terrifying.

Dude, read the link. He does not ask for prayers instead, he just declines the help (which they dont need or probably even want to deal with) and then says pray for us. I'm anything but a southerner, but even I know what "pray for us" means among those people. Its a throwaway line, like "wish me luck". You must be extremely dense to not understand what that's about. Read the source link.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Sep 2, 2017 -> 07:13 AM)
Dude, read the link. He does not ask for prayers instead, he just declines the help (which they dont need or probably even want to deal with) and then says pray for us. I'm anything but a southerner, but even I know what "pray for us" means among those people. Its a throwaway line, like "wish me luck". You must be extremely dense to not understand what that's about. Read the source link.

You could easily help raise the discourse by saying exactly everything you just said without adding that 2nd to last sentence. Just saying.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 4, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Now it's Florida that's largely the target, and it could be another record setting hurricane. I think they'll know more accurately what to expect after the latest round of simulations tonight

Now a category 5, among the top 20 strongest Atlantic Hurricanes ever recorded, with a current target bullseye aiming at Miami. Strongest recorded outside of the Gulf or Caribbean where warmer waters used to be confined. 3rd strongest wind speeds on record in the Atlantic Basin.

The US Has never had 2 category 4+ storms make landfall in a single year. Floridians, get out of the way.