Orioles listening on Machado?...

Lip Man 1

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 04:44 AM)
Would just end up being another situation I think

I think many Sox fans are expecting us to sign machado next offseason and I am having my doubts. The money and years might get to insane levels, along with opt outs and no trade clauses. We should be interested, but also should not be foolish enough to ink ANY player to a 12+ season deal.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 8, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
I’m fine with tanking another year and developing our prospects. Keep them and then put the full court press on Machado next year. Hopefully Welington Castillo can tell him how much he loves it here next year and our prospects keep filtering up.

You'rw not getting top tier free agents coming off a second straight tank season.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 07:06 PM)
You'rw not getting top tier free agents coming off a second straight tank season.

Ummm...maybe, maybe not. If a few guys are showing to be potential superstars, then I could see some guys biting on coming to the Sox.

Just like with the current Cubs team...you could smell what was coming, even while they were still terrible. Hopefully the same thing happens here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 09:22 PM)
I know, why on Earth would Jon Lester accept a deal from a team that had averaged 92.5 losses the previous 2 years.

It is not at all realistic to compare the White Sox to the other team. For whatever reason the other team is a desirable destination with a national fan base and gets media attention. The other team had also hired a real manager and the White Sox hired the clown they canned to make room for said manager. The White Sox finish in the bottom in terms of TV ratings even in a good year and the media routinely forget they exist and even won a World Series. Players aren't completely stupid. Heck, even people on this site argue they should be considered a small market team.

Also doesn't help that the one time they signed a big free agent was just for a couple years and was only a shot across the bow at the other owners.

The one superstar they have had here in the last thirty years completely alienated owners and management and fans (or vice verse depending on your point of view).

I do concede there is a chance that something that has never happened before can defy all logic and happen in the future and can unexpectedly even have some success. If I were betting though I'd take SonofaRoache's position without hesitation. But I do admire your optimism.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 08:22 PM)
I know, why on Earth would Jon Lester accept a deal from a team that had averaged 92.5 losses the previous 2 years.

Because he had a pre-existing relationship with the front office and for some reason got caught up in the Cubs’ “magic” like numerous free agents in the past?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 09:22 PM)

We aren't the Cubs nor do we have Theo who Lester probably liked for obvious reasons. Lester and Rizzo also went through the same cancer and were good friends.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Dec 10, 2017 -> 04:51 AM)
It is not at all realistic to compare the White Sox to the other team. For whatever reason the other team is a desirable destination with a national fan base and gets media attention. The other team had also hired a real manager and the White Sox hired the clown they canned to make room for said manager. The White Sox finish in the bottom in terms of TV ratings even in a good year and the media routinely forget they exist and even won a World Series. Players aren't completely stupid. Heck, even people on this site argue they should be considered a small market team.

Also doesn't help that the one time they signed a big free agent was just for a couple years and was only a shot across the bow at the other owners.

The one superstar they have had here in the last thirty years completely alienated owners and management and fans (or vice verse depending on your point of view).

I do concede there is a chance that something that has never happened before can defy all logic and happen in the future and can unexpectedly even have some success. If I were betting though I'd take SonofaRoache's position without hesitation. But I do admire your optimism.

Frank Thomas or Chris Sale ?