Dustin Fowler suing White Sox for injury

Sockin

• 4 months later...

What a freak injury!  I feel sorry for Fowler, but at the same time I'm not sure he has a winnable case.

I'm really interested to see the outcome of this lawsuit.  The WiFi electrical box is NOT in the field of play, it's immediately on the other side of the padded railing/wall.  Therefore, the box is in the fan seating area along with seats, stairs, etc.  It's not anything that could reasonably be expected to be hit by a player on the field and therefore shouldn't require padding.  The railing has an opening that Fowler's knee apparently went through to hit the box.    

I think the Sox and the ISFA would win this case if it went the whole way to trial and a judgment.  The player technically exited the field of play through the opening in the wall, striking an object that is clearly in the fan seating area.   But the case won't go the distance and the Sox/ISFA and their insurance will likely settle out of court and pay Fowler off because that will be cheaper than having the lawsuit run all the way to the end.  Fowler and his attorneys know that they can get money even though the lawsuit is questionable.   

But I'm no lawyer.  There probably are all kinds of lawyerly arguments and other legal cases that prove me wrong.  What seems straightforward to a regular non-lawyer person may not be so.

Edited by tonusaitis
  • Thanks 1