Hall of Fame balloting...

southsider2k5

So here is the latest numbers. I don't get why Andruw Jones is getting so little support. He put up some impressive counting stats, his peak was about a decade, and he was by far the best CF in the game at that peak and was a very good player in the post-season. 5%? What am I missing? I'd put him above all of the steroid guys and above everyone who is below 70% of support currently.

Ryan Thibodaux‏Verified account @NotMrTibbs 1h1 hour ago With 176 ballots revealed/~41.5% of the vote known:

Chipper - 98%

Vlad - 94%

Thome - 93%

Edgar 80%

Hoffman - 78% -----

Mussina - 73%

Schilling - 67%

BB/RC - 66%

Walker -39%

Vizquel - 29.5%

Manny - 26%

McGriff - 17%

Rolen - 11%

Andruw - 5.1%

Tracker: http://bit.ly/hof18

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:21 PM)
im shocked about vizquel. guess 11 gold gloves dont mean as much as i thought??

That is a bit shocking. Not necessarily that he won't make it on his first attempt, I get some voters think that "honor" is reserved for a precious few even if the guy is HOF-worthy, but his total is weak. He'll have to wait a while.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:21 PM)

Jones won 10 straight Gold Gloves, 434 home runs and might get kicked off the ballot. He is far more deserving than Vizquel and is in far worse shape.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:28 PM)
Jones won 10 straight Gold Gloves, 434 home runs and might get kicked off the ballot. He is far more deserving than Vizquel and is in far worse shape.

I think they both deserve it, but will probably have to wait until they are 60 or 70 years old. Pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 01:43 PM)
Under 5% falls off. IMO Jones is the definition of a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

While I agree he is HOF worthy, he doesn't scream 1st ballot. At no time did I think he was the best player in the game.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 03:17 PM)
While I agree he is HOF worthy, he doesn't scream 1st ballot. At no time did I think he was the best player in the game.

I think he's a HOFer myself. I just think either you are or are not. Making someone wait a year or 2 or 10 because of the level of HOFer they alledgedly are seems a bit silly to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:14 PM)
So here is the latest numbers. I don't get why Andruw Jones is getting so little support. He put up some impressive counting stats, his peak was about a decade, and he was by far the best CF in the game at that peak and was a very good player in the post-season. 5%? What am I missing? I'd put him above all of the steroid guys and above everyone who is below 70% of support currently.

Ryan Thibodaux‏Verified account @NotMrTibbs 1h1 hour ago With 176 ballots revealed/~41.5% of the vote known:

Chipper - 98%

Vlad - 94%

Thome - 93%

Edgar 80%

Hoffman - 78% -----

Mussina - 73%

Schilling - 67%

BB/RC - 66%

Walker -39%

Vizquel - 29.5%

Manny - 26%

McGriff - 17%

Rolen - 11%

Andruw - 5.1%

Tracker: http://bit.ly/hof18

Check out his Hall of Fame Statistics. He's not really close to your average Hall of Famer. I tend to agree with those numbers. I think he was a fine player but never really thought he screamed one of the all time greats.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesan01.shtml

I'll just throw my ballot out here, as this seems the best place, for fun...

Chipper Jones

Vladimir Guerrero

Jim Thome

Edgar Martinez

Mike Mussina

Larry Walker

Scott Rolen

Curt Schilling

I'm on the fence and could be talked into Omar Vizquel, maybe.

Andruw Jones is tough for me because of the domestic abuse stuff, and I do believe the character clause is meaningful. Numbers-wise he belongs, but it's not like he just said some stupid stuff a la Schilling - Jones was violent. Hard to know how to balance those things quite right.

Still can't believe Lou Whitaker (who lasted just one ballot!) and Dale Murphy fell short when they did. Just want to throw those out there to further stir the pot, lol.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 01:21 PM)

I love Vizquel—just not sure the Gold Gloves carry the same weight as someone who won several gold gloves AND had the silver slugger/batting/power numbers to go with it. To me, he’s a HOF miss but that will not define his career. Instead, those who followed his career will remember him as a defensive wizard on par with Ozzie Smith (just a quiet version with no flare), and one of the most underrated offensive forces of his time simply because he didn’t hit HRs. Considering how most scouts believed his offensive skill set would be insufficient at the MLB level when he came into the league, his sustained achievement was a major surprise. To me, that’s what defines him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 03:21 PM)
I think he's a HOFer myself. I just think either you are or are not. Making someone wait a year or 2 or 10 because of the level of HOFer they alledgedly are seems a bit silly to me.

I fully agree. I'm just pointing out the voter rationale. There is no limit to players who get in, unlike the NFL, so the worthy should just get in. I think the voters create their own limit.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 04:41 PM)
I'll just throw my ballot out here, as this seems the best place, for fun...

Chipper Jones

Vladimir Guerrero

Jim Thome

Edgar Martinez

Mike Mussina

Larry Walker

Scott Rolen

Curt Schilling

I'm on the fence and could be talked into Omar Vizquel, maybe.

Andruw Jones is tough for me because of the domestic abuse stuff, and I do believe the character clause is meaningful. Numbers-wise he belongs, but it's not like he just said some stupid stuff a la Schilling - Jones was violent. Hard to know how to balance those things quite right.

Still can't believe Lou Whitaker (who lasted just one ballot!) and Dale Murphy fell short when they did. Just want to throw those out there to further stir the pot, lol.

I agree on Murphy. There were a couple of years where I thought he was the best player in the game.