9-27....

ScootsMcGoots

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again none of this should be a surprise.  We are in the midst of the low point of things.  All of the veteran talent is gone, while barely any of the premium talent is here.  Some key guys are hurt, a lot of mediocre guys are playing awful baseball,  and we are waiting on the iceberg of talent to hit the south side. 

Even looking at the micro, the needle is pointing up for the season with Moncada due back in days, Avi and Rodon due back in weeks, and almost all of the systems premium talent having great years.

I know some people are extra hormonal because it is Cubs weekend but again this is the process.  Rebuilding sucks during the rebuild. It is going to be years before we see real results. Quit freaking out over what is supposed to be happening. 

I will say the best case scenario for us this year would be to start off horrible, play substantially better in the second half as young players develop & more prospects get called up (plus Rodon), and still end up with a top 5 pick in next year’s draft.  That’s still very possible & something I’m optimistic will happen.

2 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

At the beginning of the 00s attendance still sucked, so there really wasn't much of a fanbase either. Then they won the whole Damn thing. That's all that matters, winning. No matter how bad it gets now, the "fanbase" will appear if banners are won. The Blackhawks are the perfect example.

This is on point when the Sox were in afterglow of 05 from say 2010 and competive for a playoff spot they drew between 2.2 and 2.9 million. They just were never able to sustain. While I’m not going to make claims Chicago is a Sox town etc, a consistent  2.5 million plus during the peak is plausible.  I guarantee when the Sox are good again the “fans “will magically appear with new shirts and hats pumping their chests out saying how they were there along even when the Sox started 9-28. We all new the Sox were going to be bad. We never expected them to compete for the playoffs. I don’t recall anybody in the pre season win poll throw up 110-112 losses which at this point is plausible. I think the frustration mostly comes from the seeking regression of Giolito and Fulmer from the end of last season. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say the best case scenario for us this year would be to start off horrible, play substantially better in the second half as young players develop & more prospects get called up (plus Rodon), and still end up with a top 5 pick in next year’s draft.  That’s still very possible & something I’m optimistic will happen.

It will get better.  Just by knowing the proven major league talent we have coming back soon will help a pretty good amount.

This is my first season watching , albeit on TV , I didn't have to choose the Sox to support but I'm loving it and them , I'm also feeling the pain from you lot on here , its if I was born a Sox fan . My soccer team has also been through the wringer and we have a big bully city neighbour , owned incidentally by John Henry .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Quit freaking out over what is supposed to be happening. 

See, some of us don't think it's necessary to be this bad and just throw away 3-4 seasons. The Sox better be as good a team EVERY year of the title window to make up for how bad they are last year and now and for a few more years to come.

• Like 1

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E

pa·tience

ˈpāSHəns/
noun
  1. 1.
    the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.
    "Sox fans will need to have patience until the prospects develop and start to show up on the MLB team."

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

See, some of us don't think it's necessary to be this bad and just throw away 3-4 seasons. The Sox better be as good a team EVERY year of the title window to make up for how bad they are last year and now and for a few more years to come.

You remind me of the meatballs who would call in to 670 the score during the Cubs awful rebuild years. They would complain non-stop, and it was impossible for them to understand the concept of the rebuild. Just sit back and relax. 

38 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

You remind me of the meatballs who would call in to 670 the score during the Cubs awful rebuild years. They would complain non-stop, and it was impossible for them to understand the concept of the rebuild. Just sit back and relax. 

People made fun of the astros too. Honestly if you can't stomach the rebuild go watch the cubs and comeback to the sox when they are good.

I do think this year will be interesting but if I could sim to july I would that is when we'll see some trades and some guys called up. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

So again I ask, what would you have done differently this offseason? Give us specific free agents you would have signed.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

It doesn't matter what you think.

6 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

So again I ask, what would you have done differently this offseason? Give us specific free agents you would have signed.

Soxfan not trying to duck your question ... I'd need to see the list. Moose for sure. How's Cain doing this year? He mita been OK for 2 year deal.   If I come back for a game should I make public where my seats are? Would any Soxtalkers venture over to see the gregster?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Soxfan not trying to duck your question ... I'd need to see the list. Moose for sure. How's Cain doing this year? He mita been OK for 2 year deal.   If I come back for a game should I make public where my seats are? Would any Soxtalkers venture over to see the gregster?

"Cain mita been OK for a 2 year deal."

I'm sure he would have turned down 5 years 80 million from Milwaukee because good ole greg from Lawrence wants him on the White Sox. Unless those Bill Self cash envelopes are available in MLB

3 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

"Cain mita been OK for a 2 year deal."

I'm sure he would have turned down 5 years 80 million from Milwaukee because good ole greg from Lawrence wants him on the White Sox. Unless those Bill Self cash envelopes are available in MLB

Oh my gosh. That's an overpay IMO. He's doing ok though I see after looking up his stats.

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Oh my gosh. That's an overpay IMO. He's doing ok though I see after looking up his stats.

If that's such an overpay, how do you expect the Sox to win World Series through free agency? That Cain contract was fair market value

Went to the game yesterday. What a different team that was. The best part about yesterday was witnessing a dominating Gio performance, minus the walks, and Davidson going yard. Also loved the double switch with Leury and he makes a great play in right then drives in a run right away. Nice to see a Sox win at Wrigley. Also my wife's first game where the Sox win. Great day all around.

14 hours ago, Scoots said:

Went to the game yesterday. What a different team that was. The best part about yesterday was witnessing a dominating Gio performance, minus the walks, and Davidson going yard. Also loved the double switch with Leury and he makes a great play in right then drives in a run right away. Nice to see a Sox win at Wrigley. Also my wife's first game where the Sox win. Great day all around.

I'll gladly take the W, but we got lucky cause 7 walks are a lot. Davidson rocks!

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

5 years ago in White Sox land:

CF Alejandro De Aza
SS Alexei Ramirez
RF Alex Rios
DH Dayan Viciedo
1b Adam Dunn
3b Jeff Keppinger
LF Casper Wells
C Tyler Flowers
2b Tyler Greene

P: Santiago, Lindstrom, Omogrosso, Heath

10-3 Twins win.

Anyone who thought that this was going to be a competitive year was fooling themselves. 

Giolito is going to need time, guys over 6'5 tend to struggle with their control early in their careers due to a tendency to drift due to their length which makes it difficult to repeat their delivery.  Its not insurmountable, it just takes time to work through. 

Fulmer is probably not going to make it as a SP, but thats not new news. Shields and MiGo are filler that can provide some leadership for the team, but not a lot of ability at this point in their careers. 

Offensively, they probably have 2 guys that will be everyday players on the roster in two years, the rest will be gone and replaced with guys in the system or FA's.  

Yes, the record is not great, but there was no reason to think it would be given the lack of quality players on the roster. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 9:22 PM, greg775 said:

I don't believe in this strategy.

From the Rozner article:

The Cubs lost 89 games in 2014 and went to the NLCS in 2015. Houston lost 92 games in 2014 and reached the postseason in 2015. Kansas City went from losing 90-plus games four straight years, to 86 wins and then they reached two straight World Series.

Doesn't matter if you believe in it or not. It does work. Sure, it's not guaranteed to work, but it's better than what we were doing before.

Edited by Iwritecode

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This definitely does put things into perspective, especially seeing what that Cubs roster was like in 2012. However, the Sox are going to have to hit big on free agents, and most of these prospects will need to be elite.

The only sure-fire championship caliber players in this organization right now are Abreu, Moncada and possibly Eloy. The rest are all high ceiling potential championship contributors. I look highly on Cease, Dunning (who I think will be the ace of the staff) and obviously Kopech. The rest is all up in the air. Robert is supposed to be our star centerfielder...dude hasn't even played a minor league game yet. 

I don't think it is wrong to be fully for this rebuild,but I don't think it's wrong to be skeptical either.