The 2018 MLB Draft Thread (Tracker in OP)

NorthSideSox72

I think the next pick is very likely to be Pilkington based on Sox draft trends.  De Sedas would be great, but not sure there is enough money there to get him to walk away from school unless the Sox got discounts with Madrigal and Walker. 

21 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I've got a feeling that he will spend very little time/skip AAA.

I agree, he will not be there long.

Who I think they will target?  I would like some HS talent, but I don't think that happens.  I would assume more college pitching and hitting.

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Most of Round 3 is picked inside the top 100

To the question of who the sox are targeting, I suggested Wolf and Spillane. I think they are players the sox may pick today. 

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Rankings are universal either.

True, but just they aren't in the 3 I look at; and per fangraphs, 3 top 70 college pitchers are available (and numerous top 100 college players). No need to reach.  Adn I know that Maggs didn't say those guys for round 3 necessarily.

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Would not be surprised to see the Yankees or Cubs draft him 

I have no idea who to expect.  I mean there are certain franchises you know that will stretch for players, but they aren't as well known in MLB.  This seems like a Cincinnati Bengals or Raiders type of pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have no idea who to expect.  I mean there are certain franchises you know that will stretch for players, but they aren't as well known in MLB.  This seems like a Cincinnati Bengals or Raiders type of pick.

I would be surprised to see a marquee team take him, I think it will be someplace where it can fly under the radar a little more. 

6 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Conversely the Yankees or Cubs would have enough loyalty from fans they don't have to worry about losing fans. 

Yeah, I dont think Cashman or Theo want the headache of dealing with the questions or headlines. 

23 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Conversely the Yankees or Cubs would have enough loyalty from fans they don't have to worry about losing fans. 

I actually think it is more likely that a team with no fans in the first place like the As or rays get him. Those two franchises are well known to chase value regardless of what media and fans think. The rays have a history of taking crooks on a discount, most notably Matt Bush (multiple DUI and DUI crash with physical harm)

1 hour ago, harfman77 said:

Yeah, I dont think Cashman or Theo want the headache of dealing with the questions or headlines. 

They both did it before, with Chapman. Their fanbases didn't seem to care too much 

1 hour ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I actually think it is more likely that a team with no fans in the first place like the As or rays get him. Those two franchises are well known to chase value regardless of what media and fans think. The rays have a history of taking crooks on a discount, most notably Matt Bush (multiple DUI and DUI crash with physical harm)

Wasn't that with Friedman as their GM? Maybe then the Dodgers could be a candidate?