2018-2019 Official NBA thread

20 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

The only way I really would be considering moving up is for Doncic. And the optimum for the Bulls is somehow to obtain 2 top 7 picks and being able to draft Doncic + another. That scenario is pretty far fetched though as it depends on 2 teams passing on Doncic. A lot of mocks have that happening, but again, pretty big risk

I agree with this completely.  I'm not moving up for someone other than Doncic.  And as many others have mentioned, GarPax's trade history is not great.  They always give up more than other teams seem to.  So I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up that they'd do something smart after all these years.

A lot of folks are talking about moving up to #4, but what about #3?  I haven't followed things as closely as normal, but I read that Atlanta would be willing to shed #3 if someone takes on one of their bad contracts (Bazemore or Plumlee).  Maybe that wasn't a real rumor.

I'm very conflicted on a lot of our realistic options at 7.  There are many things I dislike about MPJ, Young, and Bamba.  I'm sure I'll talk myself into whatever player we draft because I always do.  But as of now, I have real concerns about all of those guys.  Oddly enough, the one I feel most comfortable with is Wendell Carter Jr. and he seems to be the one who's ranked lowest of those 4.

I personally think Young would finally make Fred's system make sense. He'll push pace, his passing is completely underrated, and all of our point guards are already high usage, terrible shooting point guards so I think it would make a big difference.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I personally think Young would finally make Fred's system make sense. He'll push pace, his passing is completely underrated, and all of our point guards are already high usage, terrible shooting point guards so I think it would make a big difference.

The problem is he can't guard me, and the Bulls defense is about as bad as it gets. I was watching something how drafting him would light a fire under Dunn, who is a good defender, and it would be possible he could break Young in practice. Seems a little far fetched.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The problem is he can't guard me, and the Bulls defense is about as bad as it gets. I was watching something how drafting him would light a fire under Dunn, who is a good defender, and it would be possible he could break Young in practice. Seems a little far fetched.

He can most definitely guard you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

He can most definitely guard you.

He can say he's guarding me, but I'd light him up. 

The other thing is while he can rack up points, his shooting might be a bit overrated. 36% from college 3 doesn't seem like the next Steph Curry to me. 

Edited by Dick Allen

If the Bulls could somehow land 3 or 4 and hold onto 7, tonight would be incredible. If they can somehow stick at 7 and still get one of Bamba or Porter, I'll be happy.

If they stick at 7 and reach for someone like Carter or Knox (total Bulls move), I'll be mad.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He can say he's guarding me, but I'd light him up. 

The other thing is while he can rack up points, his shooting might be a bit overrated. 36% from college 3 doesn't seem like the next Steph Curry to me. 

Anyone saying he's the next Steph because he shoots a lot doesn't understand how historic Steph Curry is. Chasing the next Steph Curry by drafting undersized chuckers is not a good long-term strategy for any organization.

Hopefully Orlando takes the guy as they're in need of a chucker.

Sam Smith's mock draft just went live. He normally has a good feel on what the Bulls' brass is thinking...

https://www.nba.com/bulls/features/sam-smiths-mock-draft

He has us taking Carter and passing on Porter. This would be typical Bulls and is what I predicted in my earlier post this morning. He also has Porter dropping to 12 which I cannot fathom happening.

The Bulls are destined to piss me off tonight.

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

Anyone saying he's the next Steph because he shoots a lot doesn't understand how historic Steph Curry is. Chasing the next Steph Curry by drafting undersized chuckers is not a good long-term strategy for any organization.

Hopefully Orlando takes the guy as they're in need of a chucker.

I'm with you on the draft pick. There is no way the Bulls get both 4 and 7. This is GarPax. 

Carter could be good, but the only way I would draft him is if the others are gone and I had to pick between him and Young. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm with you on the draft pick. There is no way the Bulls get both 4 and 7. This is GarPax. 

Carter could be good, but the only way I would draft him is if the others are gone and I had to pick between him and Young. 

Exactly. There are 6 guys who seem like they are bona fide All-Stars. Yes, anything can happen and there will be studs taken past pick 10 and dudes in the top 7, but today you want one of: 

1. Ayton
  2. Doncic (honestly my favorite this year)
  3. Bagley
  4. Jackson
  5. Porter
  6. Bamba

The rest of the guys are clearly a few steps below. Of course any of them could wind up being the best guy, but on draft day, the six above are the clear top-6 who provide the most upside and/or difference-making potential. I add the difference-making because Bamba is a freak but I don't see him as the best player on a championship team ever.

God dammit, I would love to see Doncic out there guiding this offense the next 10 years. That guy's my cream dream. Of course, we'll wind up drafting Wendell Carter or Kevin Knox whose upside is capped and be sold how they work hard.

Edited by Steve9347

Trae could end up being a chucker, I do not think he will. He will probably be bad at defense (so will MPJ, especially if forced to the 3). He averaged almost 9 assists, he pushed the pace of that team to top 15 when it was projected to be top 80. IMO, he will shoot better than he has with shot selection being honed at the NBA level.

And some of his strengths like a quick release, if accurate, make a deadly duo with Markannen. On PnR, they'd have to play Young up, making switches likely and Markannen would take on a guard on their way to the hoop. Players like Nwaba who run the court so well would thrive. Players like Lavine? Tough, but they don't need to figure everything out for 2018-19 season. I still like Young a lot and think he's an example of too much counter-hype.

And tbh if we can find a ben gordon at 7 that's not that bad. That comp isn't much worse than a lot of what you'll get for Wendall Carter, useful role player for 10+ year career that makes a lot of money but isn't the driving force for success. Maybe he's demare carroll! Great! That's a tossup imo.

One thing I"ll say about getting the 4 pick, is in my estimation due to the team holding it and their motivations, the #4 pick may be cheaper than a typical #4 any other year, and I think if you put a dollar amount on it there is quite a bit of leeway past $22 mill that it would go if it was straight up sold.

Giving up #22, lottery protected 2019 pick, taking on parsons...I think you do that. 

51 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Sam Smith's mock draft just went live. He normally has a good feel on what the Bulls' brass is thinking...

https://www.nba.com/bulls/features/sam-smiths-mock-draft

He has us taking Carter and passing on Porter. This would be typical Bulls and is what I predicted in my earlier post this morning. He also has Porter dropping to 12 which I cannot fathom happening.

The Bulls are destined to piss me off tonight.

Carter is a fine pick. I actually think he is slightly underrated because he was on the same team as Bagley.

He has pretty good post moves and actually an underrated outside shot.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/16/wendell-carters-ceiling-may-be-even-higher-than-expected/

That bottom link also discusses why Carter is underrated. And it has about a 5 minute highlight reel. 

Edited by Soxbadger

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

One thing I"ll say about getting the 4 pick, is in my estimation due to the team holding it and their motivations, the #4 pick may be cheaper than a typical #4 any other year, and I think if you put a dollar amount on it there is quite a bit of leeway past $22 mill that it would go if it was straight up sold.

Giving up #22, lottery protected 2019 pick, taking on parsons...I think you do that. 

If its a lottery protected pick then you probably do it. Just no way you can give up an unprotected pick, watch the Bulls suck and then watch your ball get picked for #1 in the lottery.

It also really depends on who is there at 4. Since they already have Lauri, you can only really add 1 true big man, so if Doncic is there I think its a no brainer. If not, then youd have to take Porter at 4. At 7 id say Bamba or Carter. 

C- Carter

PF- Lauri

SF- Porter

Those are all highly skilled offensive guys (Carter a little bit underrated as a defender). You can find some defensive bigs to mix in, but its definitely the start of something. 

Edited by Soxbadger

You can take a risk on Porter or Young at 7 if you have the #4 if you take that risk without #4 and wait until a high pick next year you push back the rebuild and need 2019 and 2020 drafts to hit.

I think #22, top 5 protected next year and a guy for #4 and salary. 

I think #22 and top 7 protected for next year for Carter this year makes some sense to me. 

4 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

None of this matters. The only way the Bulls would ever get the #4 would be if they included the #7 and then drafted a guy at 4 they would've gotten at 7. They are incapable of doing things the shrewd way.

Shut your mouth. Let my dreams be crushed later.

You just never know. The teams in the top 5 are not the typical teams and aren't in the typical spots that top 5 teams are, the motivations are a bit different.

Only in the last 5-7 years where the top 5 teams highly valued the draft capital did trading up seem impossible, happened a lot in the 00-10s. Could see a return to previous era.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

You just never know. The teams in the top 5 are not the typical teams and aren't in the typical spots that top 5 teams are, the motivations are a bit different.

Only in the last 5-7 years where the top 5 teams highly valued the draft capital did trading up seem impossible, happened a lot in the 00-10s. Could see a return to previous era.

It's not the teams, 4 of those 5 teams are in rebuild. Only reason Atl or Dal is willing to trade down is there aren't much difference between talent between 3 to 6 or 3 to 7 range, so they are fielding for an offer that will entice them to move down.

I hope we can somehow get Doncic and Bamba, but am 80% sure we're ending up with Carter and Hutchison.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

1 hour ago, Steve9347 said:

None of this matters. The only way the Bulls would ever get the #4 would be if they included the #7 and then drafted a guy at 4 they would've gotten at 7. They are incapable of doing things the shrewd way.

Unfortunately, you are correct.  GarPax have done nothing to prove otherwise.  It's fun to dream up scenarios, but then I have to ground myself by remembering who runs our team.