Twinkies at Sox: 6/27 -- Going for three in a row

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

http://www.startribune.com/twins-third-baseman-eduardo-escobar-hitting-lot-of-balls-hard/486633981/

Article on Escobar’s success this year.  Hint, it’s not a story of launch angle. 

I just read the article and it appears to obliquely credit his improved BABIP with his now more optimal launch angle.  They buried the lede imo.  He's making about the same contact he did last year but his BABIP is up 60 points.  Some of it is no doubt due to hitting less grounders.

The closer I read that article the more I realize how bad it is:

his launch angle is a career-high 20.1 percent — but

he has been able to achieve that while trying to swing down on the ball.

Ok, well...

Escobar is hitting the ball harder than he has at any point in his career. His average exit velocity is 88 miles per hour and his hard-hit percentage is 32.4, both career highs. Escobar posted similar numbers last season, but his batting average of balls in play was just .279, tied for a career low. This season, he is at .349, a career high.

So his BABIP is at a career high, so is his launch angle, but alternative explanations.  Fuck man.  Not dogging you for linkin' it (in fact god bless you for passing 5 minutes at work for me) but that journalism is crap.  Bayes rolls over in his grave at this inductive process.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic