Machado deal structure "in place"

southsider2k5

45 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Depends on what the dodgers do with Kershaw. If they part ways with Kershaw they will have plenty of money to re-sign Machado.

I honestly don't think the White Sox have a snowballs chance in hell at signing Machado. I think he'll get some good offers from contending teams that will take the Sox out of the mix.

I'm hoping the Sox are able to play solid enough baseball in '19 with their young talent to goes balls deep after Arenado over the 2019/20 winter.

You know Machado is dying to come to Chicago at a discount. We have to read this stuff all winter and it might as well be winter. 

26 minutes ago, pcq said:

You know Machado is dying to come to Chicago at a discount. We have to read this stuff all winter and it might as well be winter. 

I think we'll see more stuff written about Machado to the cubs than we will see written about the Sox. 

Then, after Machado signs elsewhere, we'll see nothing but JR is cheap posts littered all over Soxtalk while completely ignoring the Sox never had much of a chance in the first place. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BlackSox13 said:

I think we'll see more stuff written about Machado to the cubs than we will see written about the Sox. 

Then, after Machado signs elsewhere, we'll see nothing but JR is cheap posts littered all over Soxtalk while completely ignoring the Sox never had much of a chance in the first place. 

Accurate.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Depends on what the dodgers do with Kershaw. If they part ways with Kershaw they will have plenty of money to re-sign Machado.

I honestly don't think the White Sox have a snowballs chance in hell at signing Machado. I think he'll get some good offers from contending teams that will take the Sox out of the mix.

I'm hoping the Sox are able to play solid enough baseball in '19 with their young talent to goes balls deep after Arenado over the 2019/20 winter.

Kershaw will definitely get more years but really only slightly more salary per year. Dudes already getting paid. They can afford both.

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Kershaw will definitely get more years but really only slightly more salary per year. Dudes already getting paid. They can afford both.

I'm not sold on the idea of the Dodgers bring Kershaw back due to his expected salary and injury history. I'm thinking they re-sign Machado and try to get one or both of Corbin/Keuchel. 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Move one of them (Seager?) over to 2b.

Turner has experience at second and Seager did just have tj surgery on his throwing arm so he could be an option for 2B. Forsythe is a free agent after this year so that opens up 2B. Turner only has 2 years left on his deal so you only really need to stomach Machado at SS for a couple years as you could move him to 3B (if he is willing).

6 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

I'm not sold on the idea of the Dodgers bring Kershaw back due to his expected salary and injury history. I'm thinking they re-sign Machado and try to get one or both of Corbin/Keuchel. 

That's true too. I meant more along the line so of having to choose one over the other. Signing one wouldn't have an impact on the other. Kershaw is already making $35m a year. He isn't going to make much more than that annually.

He's actually owed $70m the next 2 years. You could end up seeing an extension where he may make less than than $35m a year but with more guaranteed years added on. For example: 5 years, $150m= $30m a year. More guaranteed money.

Edited by soxfan2014

12 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

Except the reason the Sox don't have much of a chance is because they won't offer the most money, so the JR is cheap posters will have an argument.

14 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems like they could have gotten more in the offseason IMO, but admittedly I don’t know much about the secondary pieces.  Regardless, at least we won’t lose a pick now when we sign him next offseason.

The Bannon kid looks like a guy we would love to have in our system. Very high OBP. power, near .300 BA and supposedly a decent fielding 3rd baseman.

8 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Except the reason the Sox don't have much of a chance is because they won't offer the most money, so the JR is cheap posters will have an argument.

Actually they won't because none of us will know for if the Sox make an offer and if they do for how much. We will all be speculating one way or another. IMO I believe the Sox will make an offer but I don't think Machado will have interest in joining a rebuilding team.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

That's true too. I meant more along the line so of having to choose one over the other. Signing one wouldn't have an impact on the other. Kershaw is already making $35m a year. He isn't going to make much more than that annually.

He's actually owed $70m the next 2 years. You could end up seeing an extension where he may make less than than $35m a year but with more guaranteed years added on. For example: 5 years, $150m= $30m a year. More guaranteed money.

I see what your saying and you're right they could afford both. 

52 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Actually they won't because none of us will know for if the Sox make an offer and if they do for how much. We will all be speculating one way or another. IMO I believe the Sox will make an offer but I don't think Machado will have interest in joining a rebuilding team.

A lot of numbers usually get leaked out so we will see.

But I guarantee you Machado would have plenty of interest in a rebuilding team if they are the highest bidder.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

But I guarantee you Machado would have plenty of interest in a rebuilding team if they are the highest bidder.

I will be very surprised if Machado receives the highest offer from one team and walks away from it to go to a different team that he has decided to like more. The question, IMO, will be whether the White Sox make the highest offer or not.

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I can't speak for Machado but I think the Sox would not only have to be the highest bidder, the bid would have to be significantly higher than a contenders bid. If the Sox bid say 350M and the Dodgers bid 325M I think he takes the Dodgers bid without thinking twice. Tens of millions isn't much when we're talking about hundreds of millions overall. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I can't speak for Machado but I think the Sox would not only have to be the highest bidder, the bid would have to be significantly higher than a contenders bid. If the Sox bid say 350M and the Dodgers bid 325M I think he takes the Dodgers bid without thinking twice. Tens of millions isn't much when we're talking about hundreds of millions overall. 

I would be genuinely surprised if he signed for $325 and the White Sox came out and said they had an offer on the table for $350 and were turned down.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would be genuinely surprised if he signed for $325 and the White Sox came out and said they had an offer on the table for $350 and were turned down.

None of this matters, because he’ll get an opt-out after a couple years.  As long as the short-term money is the same and the long-term money isn’t ridiculously different, he’ll probably go to a contender.

23 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Years and years of professional sports free agency have taught me differently, every single dollar counts even when talking hundreds of millions. 

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

None of this matters, because he’ll get an opt-out after a couple years.  As long as the short-term money is the same and the long-term money isn’t ridiculously different, he’ll probably go to a contender.

Opt outs have definitely mixed things up, Heyward is the perfect example. All the talk was how he took less guaranteed money with the Cubs vs. Cardinlas, yet had he not forgotten how to hit, he would have been able.to sign another massive FA deal and made way more than the Cardinals offer