July 31, James Shields starts or...?

Southwest Sider

I had tickets for this game and decided to check out and see who the likely starter would be, and it is indeed James Shields. Since it seems highly likely that he will be traded, I decided to see who else could start this game.

Covey could start it with 4 days rest.

Kopech could start it with 4 days rest.

Stephens could start it with 5 days rest. 

I doubt it would be Covey since they will need to make a call-up anyway in the event Shields is traded. My head says Stephens but my heart wants Kopech. How cool would it be to be at his first game? 

Stephens would be cool, too I suppose. 

I don't really know the point of this thread. I just wanted to share. 

If it's not Shields, I'd bet on a Santiago/Volstad bullpen game.

It should be Stephens or Kopech though, based on who deserves the call. I think we'll see both pretty soon. One to replace Shields, and one to be the 6th starter in a 6-man rotation to limit innings of the young guys down the stretch 

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If it's not Shields, I'd bet on a Santiago/Volstad bullpen game.

It should be Stephens or Kopech though, based on who deserves the call. I think we'll see both pretty soon. One to replace Shields, and one to be the 6th starter in a 6-man rotation to limit innings of the young guys down the stretch 

They were talking about this on the Sox Machine Podcast, that Covey might make a really good multi inning reliever, and I'd think they'd like to give Stephens a shot in the rotation, so why not move Covey to the bullpen, launch Volstad to the moon, and if Shields is traded bring up both Kopech/Stephens. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They were talking about this on the Sox Machine Podcast, that Covey might make a really good multi inning reliever, and I'd think they'd like to give Stephens a shot in the rotation, so why not move Covey to the bullpen, launch Volstad to the moon, and if Shields is traded bring up both of them. 

That would be my ideal scenario. However, after 8.1 shutout innings, the timing wouldn't be ideal for Covey to lose his spot. Regardless, I don't think he's a starter long-term and I would like to see his innings (and Shields') given to Kopech and Stephens. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They were talking about this on the Sox Machine Podcast, that Covey might make a really good multi inning reliever, and I'd think they'd like to give Stephens a shot in the rotation, so why not move Covey to the bullpen, launch Volstad to the moon, and if Shields is traded bring up both Kopech/Stephens. 

Covey is settling in as a starter.  Let Kopech and Stephens settle in the majors via bullpen work.  A lot of teams do it this way, including the Sox for their best (Sale, Buehrle)

While I’m not optimistic Covey will remain a starter, he’s shown enough to warrant an extended look.  If the front office feels both Kopech & Stephens are ready, I’d simply give Kopech Shields’ spot in the rotation and Stephens a long relief spot.  Then depending on how Covey does down the stretch, Stephens would potentially get a shot during the first half of 2019.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hate this. It's not sustainable over a full MLB season and you only really see it in the postseason when it's do or die.

On 7/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, Dick Allen said:

Gotta hand it to Trump. He knows how to change the subject. No one is talking about the kids still separated from their parents. Now he’s back whining about NFL players kneeling.

What a shit show this presidency is. 

2 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I bet it'll be Shields. I imagine he goes during August.

Good call. No way he gets claimed making $20 million a year. So waivers won’t be an issue.