Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

24 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Guess it depends on how you define "good".

Smith's first year he had 60% completion, 3k yards, 23/7 int.  If Trubisky has those type of numbers hell be fine.

Again its early in the season and Trubisky has a lot of games to prove himself, but Smith's numbers were good to start. Last year his numbers were arguably excellent as he had the highest rate and rate+ of any QB in the league, plus threw for 4k yards. The Bears cant expect that type of production, but they absolutely need Trubisky to put up a positive td/int ratio.

Comparing Trubisky this year...and Alex Smith in his 8th professional season when he started in Andy Reid's O seems a little ridiculous wouldn't you say?  I'd hope to God he'd put up decent numbers....

3 minutes ago, Wanne said:

Comparing Trubisky this year...and Alex Smith in his 8th professional season when he started in Andy Reid's O seems a little ridiculous wouldn't you say?  I'd hope to God he'd put up decent numbers....

I didnt compare him to Alex Smith, someone else brought up Alex Smith.

I said that Trubisky needs to have a positive td/int ratio...

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Guess it depends on how you define "good".

Smith's first year he had 60% completion, 3k yards, 23/7 int.  If Trubisky has those type of numbers hell be fine.

Again its early in the season and Trubisky has a lot of games to prove himself, but Smith's numbers were good to start. Last year his numbers were arguably excellent as he had the highest rate and rate+ of any QB in the league, plus threw for 4k yards. The Bears cant expect that type of production, but they absolutely need Trubisky to put up a positive td/int ratio.

I would hope you would. Those numbers were from an 8 year NFL veteran not a guy who has less than a full NFL season and only one college season.

Trubiskey will have well over a 60% completion because they are going to slowly work him into the system. He may have a positive td/int  ratio. Depends on how soon they open up the offense. Like it or not they drafted a project and just like the Sox rebuild, they need to stick with it and progress him as he can. If they give him too much too soon, he will cause too many issues and the defense won't win them games.

What you see now and what he, Nagy and the offense look like at the end of the season will be very different things.

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

I guess the thing that I thought/heard Trubisky was fine with in college (being under pressure) is something he is not good at so far and I have doubts that it is something that improves.

The best QBs in the game are ones that, among other things, are good at extending plays by subtle pocket movements, rolling out, and *keeping eyes downfield*. Then there's brady, who is just unbelievably good along with their coach of identifying defenses, and knowing what is going to be open pre snap and getting ball out.

Trubisky is going first read -> panic rollout. I was just watching the game yesterday and thinking how every time i saw ben/fitz step up in the pocket was a time that Trubs would rollout and start looking at scrambling/checkdowns. 

And I think Nagy is just limited with what will be good for him. I do wonder, Harbaugh had big success with Smith stripping things way down for him before smith eventually became proficient with a complicated offense. WHo knows.

You are comparing an essentially rookie Trubisky to seasoned vets in Big Ben and Fitz. That just isn't a fair comparison....a fair comparison is going back to rookie/2nd year Big Ben or rookie 2nd year Tom Brady, etc, and asking...did they make poor decisions under pressure...struggle to quickly read defenses, etc.  And I would argue that answer is unequivocally yes because the NFL game is extremely difficult and complex and it takes time, with very few exceptions. Now many will never develop and it is a fine line. 

2 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

One problem with those lists is that I bet if you go back and look at those teams, the offensive weapons they had to work with were terrible. Trubisky has better-than-average weapons around him. His O-line is good, he's got a good possession WR, an emerging speedster WR and he's got two really good RB's. 

Being green and lacking experience also doesn't explain his pretty horrific accuracy beyond 10 yards. I can't seem to find an stats on that, but the AZ game he missed about 5 open guys deep.

I think people are overhyping the Bears offensive weapons. 

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think people are overhyping the Bears offensive weapons. 

and I'm going to venture to say Anthony Miller is done for the year.  Can't see him getting better and he might as well have surgery now before he causes more damage. 

2 hours ago, Wanne said:

and I'm going to venture to say Anthony Miller is done for the year.  Can't see him getting better and he might as well have surgery now before he causes more damage. 

Without surgery it will be close. Its 6-12 weeks depending on if other structures were damaged such as the labrum.

With surgery, he will miss the season.

7 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

I dont think there is a problem being patient, I just think that if Trubisky hasnt shown improvement the Bears need to strongly consider bringing someone in to compete for the job. You cant get married to the fact he was #2 overall. That cost is sunk, you have to make decisions that improve your future. If you can get a veteran/young QB who outplays Trubisky next year, you have to go that route.

That is why the acquisition of Mack changed the entire trajectory of Trubisky's career with the Bears. 

For the record Ive never been a big Trubisky fan and its well detailed in the draft thread from that year. I hope he proves me wrong. 

Another really good post.  I despised the Trubisky pick, and haven't seen anything to show me that I am wrong. I was hopeful that Trubisky and Pace would prove me wrong, as SB said, the Mack trade fucked everything up for Mitch. Nobody would be as critical of him as they are without the Mack trade. 

I'd be much more critical of Sox players if they were trying to win. It really fucks up development when the remainder of the team arrives too soon for the QB. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Without surgery it will be close. Its 6-12 weeks depending on if other structures were damaged such as the labrum.

With surgery, he will miss the season.

How are the bears saying it is day to day? Nagy said he dislocated but they have officially said he is day to day. Is there any hope that this is actually a lot more minor or is this really a season ended or at the minimum a very extended injury? 

35 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

How are the bears saying it is day to day? Nagy said he dislocated but they have officially said he is day to day. Is there any hope that this is actually a lot more minor or is this really a season ended or at the minimum a very extended injury? 

It could very well have been more of a subluxation (partially dislocated but didn't really come out of the joint capsule). If thats the case then the return would be earlier. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Another really good post.  I despised the Trubisky pick, and haven't seen anything to show me that I am wrong. I was hopeful that Trubisky and Pace would prove me wrong, as SB said, the Mack trade fucked everything up for Mitch. Nobody would be as critical of him as they are without the Mack trade. 

I'd be much more critical of Sox players if they were trying to win. It really fucks up development when the remainder of the team arrives too soon for the QB. 

I think that the Mack pick up allows the Bears to win games while playing a more conservative game and let Trubiskey learn as he goes. Its really the best of both worlds if they can make the playoffs while Nagy learns to be a head coach and Trubiskey learns how to be an NFL QB.

14 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

You are comparing an essentially rookie Trubisky to seasoned vets in Big Ben and Fitz. That just isn't a fair comparison....a fair comparison is going back to rookie/2nd year Big Ben or rookie 2nd year Tom Brady, etc, and asking...did they make poor decisions under pressure...struggle to quickly read defenses, etc.  And I would argue that answer is unequivocally yes because the NFL game is extremely difficult and complex and it takes time, with very few exceptions. Now many will never develop and it is a fine line. 

Sorry I don't think comparing a #2 overall pick to Ryan Fitzpatrick is that unfair. I disagree that young quarterbacks always look like this. We just watched Josh Allen of all people handle the rush well on sunday, and mayfield extend plays without panicking. Trubisky looks the most lost of all of the qbs of the last two years.

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sorry I don't think comparing a #2 overall pick to Ryan Fitzpatrick is that unfair. I disagree that young quarterbacks always look like this. We just watched Josh Allen of all people handle the rush well on sunday, and mayfield extend plays without panicking. Trubisky looks the most lost of all of the qbs of the last two years.

He's 10th in the NFL in passer rating vs pressure.

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

He's 10th in the NFL in passer rating vs pressure.

I wish everyone had the opportunity to go back and watch the replay on gamepass.  Honestly...besides missing a few throws...Trubisky really didn't play all that bad.  Need to come away with TDs in the Red Zone...but I wasn't enamored with the play calling really...and a few choices he made.  But honestly wasn't all the bad. He made some really nice throws too.

Watching the replay...Kyle Long did Trubs no favors in the 1st qt.  Nkemdiche made him look silly more than a few times.

Miller's should injury is a head scratcher.  He went down on it early in the game...and on a few plays he wasn't even touched and came up limp armed.  Then came back and made a plays showing no effect.  Strange.

Bryce Callahan played a really nice game.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:41 AM, Wanne said:

actually the crux of your argument is you're pissed that the Bears gave up two 1st round picks on the astronomical chance they'd have even the remotest of possibilities of landing a HOF QB with one of those picks with a middle of the round or probably better pick.  Btw...Brett Favre 2nd round. Montana was a 3rd round pick.  Dan Fouts 3rd.  Fran Tarkenton 3rd.  Sonny Jurgenson 4th. Tom Brady 6th.   Johnny Unitas 9th.  Roger Staubach 10th.

No. Im pretty neutral on the Mack trade. In my mind, it all depends on the separation between the Bears 2020 1st and the Raiders 2020 2nd. The Bears were using their 2019 1st on an edge rusher anyway. I'm not pissed about that one. If they hadn't traded their 2019 2nd and if they were able to get him for their 2019 1st, 2nd and 5th, I think that would have been a no-brainer. That 2020 1st is worrisome if Mitch continues to look meh or worse. 

2. Mitch isnt horrible for the lack of experience he has, but it would have been nice to have had the ability to trade back in the top 10 to get him and actually add draft capital instead of spending some. I don't think he was worth a top 15 pick. If they picked him at 18 or 22 or lower, no problem. Didn't think so in 4/2017 and I still don't think so now. 

I actually really like what Pace has done with the remainder of the roster other than QB. Ultimately, he and Mitch are tied at the hip. If Mitch fails, Pace is fired. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

20 hours ago, Wanne said:

What happened to your profile pic being Wanne's mug? And why in the hell did you choose his name as your handle? 

10 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Not that Pro Football Focus is the end all be all, but according to their rankings, the Bears have two top 5 CBs (Callahan and Amukamara), two top 10 safeties, two top 10 D-lineman (Hicks and Goldman) and the best edge rusher. Not bad.

They also don't have the consensus DPOY in their top 5 defensive players in the league through 3 weeks though, so that website can f*** off.

35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What happened to your profile pic being Wanne's mug? And why in the hell did you choose his name as your handle? 

my profile name has/is Wanne on every single board I'm on...since the mid 90's. 

Good read from Fishbain...talks about the Bears stalling in the red zone.

https://theathletic.com/550749/2018/09/26/how-the-bears-can-avoid-stalling-in-the-red-zone-and-score-more-touchdowns/

One thing I picked up in this...and I've been vocal about my disdain for some of the play calling...especially in the red zone but I saw this:

"As efficient as the Chiefs have been on offense over the years, they were 29th in the league in the red zone last season and 30th in 2016. Alex Smith completed only 44.9 percent of his passes inside opposing teams’ 20-yard line in 2017, but he never threw a pick and tossed 13 touchdowns."

Coincidence?  How long has Nagy been calling plays for the Chiefs?  Was it just last year?  And this year...Chiefs are lighting it up in the red zone.  Hope he figures this shit out...and soon.

16 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

They also don't have the consensus DPOY in their top 5 defensive players in the league through 3 weeks though, so that website can f*** off.

If they don't like the players on my team as much as I do they must be bad.

Problem with PFF is that people either treat it as the gospel or it is 100% wrong and the worst.  It is just one tool used to evaluate players.  There are many other ways, this is just one. 

They aren't the only analytics website.