Sox have "flexibility" to add "long term pieces"

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, joejoedairy said:

What is the anticipated salary for Arenado, considering his career OPS outside of Coors is right around .800, but knowing he is still a great hitter and probably an even better defender?

$26 Million anticipated arbitration.

33 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

It wasn't but it isn't a bad plan. Lose out on Machado, sign Donaldson to a one year deal, try again the next year with Arenado.

For whatever its worth I saw a story yesterday where Arenado said he hopes to resign with Colorado especially since they made the playoffs.

22 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I personally believe Arenado will re-sign with Colorado and Rendon will either re-sign with Washington or retire, as he doesn't seem to like playing baseball at all. That's why it's crucial to me that we go hard after Machado. 

I personally believe that Machado to the Yankees will happen fairly quickly. I hope one of us is wrong. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I personally believe that Machado to the Yankees will happen fairly quickly. I hope one of us is wrong. 

I know you can never quite rule them out, but Machado certainly doesn't fill a need for them with Andujar, Didi and Torres.  Obviously Machado is an upgrade there, but is he upgrade enough to warrant spending 350 million dollars?  Especially when the team clearly needs starting pitching?

Maybe they sign him then trade Didi... who knows.

Edited by turnin' two

40 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I know you can never quite rule them out, but Machado certainly doesn't fill a need for them with Andujar, Didi and Torres.  Obviously Machado is an upgrade there, but is he upgrade enough to warrant spending 350 million dollars?  Especially when the team clearly needs starting pitching?

Maybe they sign him then trade Didi... who knows.

Andujar is a 1B/DH(he is horrible defensively at 3B) Didi is a FA after 2019. Machado makes a lot of sense for them. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Andujar is a 1B/DH(he is horrible defensively at 3B) Didi is a FA after 2019. Machado makes a lot of sense for them. 

He is also 23.  I doubt they are willing to write him off completely as a DH.  And there is no way they'd be able to resign Didi, I guess, is that the point you are making about him being a FA?

Manny makes sense for every team.  He is that good of a player.  But the Yanks need him less than just about every other team due to their very young and talented infield.  But as I said, you can never count out the Yankees when it comes to a big ticket free agent.

10 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

He is also 23.  I doubt they are willing to write him off completely as a DH.  And there is no way they'd be able to resign Didi, I guess, is that the point you are making about him being a FA?

Manny makes sense for every team.  He is that good of a player.  But the Yanks need him less than just about every other team due to their very young and talented infield.  But as I said, you can never count out the Yankees when it comes to a big ticket free agent.

I wasn't saying that they would never sign Didi, I was saying if the choice was 1 year of Didi+Machado and then letting Didi walk, wouldn't you make that choice every day and twice on Sunday? 

14 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Where have you seen this?

I guess I don't have as much evidence as I remembered but here is a recent article that supports my post.

Rendon describes himself as a lover of the game who is simply “not a fan of everyone treating you different because you play a sport” and only “want to be normal.” (Indeed, he only took this interview to promote the Nats youth academy.) Thats not to say that Rendon isnt interested in a lengthy career, but he clearly seems more concerned with the upbringing of a young family than maximizing earnings. He emphasized, too, that hes not interested in turning over his professional direction to agent Scott Boras. What that all means for the future isnt yet clear from the teams perspective, one official calls Rendon an enigma but its undeniably relevant. Rendon is eligible for arbitration one final time this winter.

edit: not sure why all that is crossed out and it won't let me change it, but it's all in the link

22 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I wasn't saying that they would never sign Didi, I was saying if the choice was 1 year of Didi+Machado and then letting Didi walk, wouldn't you make that choice every day and twice on Sunday? 

In a vacuum, yeah, of course.  But what if it is Machado and 300 million more than it takes to keep Didi.  What if that money could be used on Kershaw?  

Bob Nightengale, who “reported” in April that Machado will sign with the Yankees, is doubling down:

A few months of Gregorious won’t impact the Yankees’ ~10 year offer to Machado, and it’s incredibly shortsighted to think otherwise. Not to mention Gleyber Torres is a shortstop. 

Edited by Jose Abreu

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Bob Nightengale, who “reported” in April that Machado will sign with the Yankees, is doubling down:

A few months of Gregorious won’t impact the Yankees’ ~10 year offer to Machado, and it’s incredibly shortsighted to think otherwise. Not to mention Gleyber Torres is a shortstop. 

I've read suggestions that Didi can come back as a DH next year. Or even just rotate the DH so Andujar, Machado, Didi, and Torres can stay fresh and get a day off without having to lose their bats.

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

I've read suggestions that Didi can come back as a DH next year. Or even just rotate the DH so Andujar, Machado, Didi, and Torres can stay fresh and get a day off without having to lose their bats.

The Yankees might sign him, that wasn’t my point. My point is that this injury has no effect on whether or not they sign him. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The Yankees might sign him, that wasn’t my point. My point is that this injury has no effect on whether or not they sign him. 

Oh gotcha. In fact, it would seem to open up a slight "need" (if that's what you want to say) considering there's been discussion on what they would do to fit Machado into the mix. A guy spending possibly half a season on the DL (or more) would pave the way without needing to trade.