Morosi: White Sox interested in "both Machado and Harper"

Jose Abreu

6 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Something the franchise uses to explain why they didn't come here.   Helping his buddy Jerry out.

We already know the White Sox aren't going to sign these guys. The problem the front office will have by letting all their interest in them leak out is not that they are now being cheap, but the top guys don't want the White Sox money. They think they have a better chance to win now and in the future elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sockin said:

FWIW (and it could mean very little considering the source) but Nightengale said on the White Sox Talk podcast that he can't see the Sox including opt outs in any contract. He said they would want either Harper or Machado for the full ride. 

Haha exactly what I predicted 

49 minutes ago, Sockin said:

FWIW (and it could mean very little considering the source) but Nightengale said on the White Sox Talk podcast that he can't see the Sox including opt outs in any contract. He said they would want either Harper or Machado for the full ride. 

Then they’d better be ready to guarantee $400-500M. 

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Then they’d better be ready to guarantee $400-500M. 

They are going to have to offer the most anyway. When you are in this particular stratosphere though, I don't know how much higher you really have to get not to include an opt out. It's not like they are going to spend all this money anyways.

54 minutes ago, Sockin said:

He did say this, but I think he meant an early-opt out.  And while I don’t think Bob really has any know here, I don’t believe the Sox would include one before year 4 anyways.  If we’re going to risk significant long-term money, we better get these guys from 2020 to 2022 at minimum IMO.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He did say this, but I think he meant an early-opt out.  And while I don’t think Bob really has any know here, I don’t believe the Sox would include one before year 4 anyways.  If we’re going to risk significant long-term money, we better get these guys from 2020 to 2022 at minimum IMO.

This seems so similar to a few years ago where we thought Sox could get Cespedes and then Bob said how Sox wouldn’t go past 3 years.  

1 hour ago, Sockin said:

Hey Sox have to do business the same as other teams . It's standard practice now for opt outs. You either include them or get left in the dust. Why anyone would think the Sox won't do is antiquated thinking.

Actually, the Sox pretty much started the opt out trend with Albert Belle. It saved uncle Jerry a lot of money. They could get around it by using a similar clause as Belle had. If someone is making more money, the Sox can  match it, if they refuse, they player can opt out.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, fathom said:

This seems so similar to a few years ago where we thought Sox could get Cespedes and then Bob said how Sox wouldn’t go past 3 years.  

Something the Sox very wisely held firm to.

Personally I don’t think Nightengale knows jack about the Sox plans. It’s been forever when I can think he actually broke a story. His scoops nowadays are equivalent to throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks.

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Personally I don’t think Nightengale knows jack about the Sox plans. It’s been forever when I can think he actually broke a story. His scoops nowadays are equivalent to throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks.

When the guy starts off the podcast saying the Sox are in on Kluber, you know he’s full of shit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I  don't think Nightengale knows jack about any team's plans. 

Edited by Sockin

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Actually, the Sox pretty much started the opt out trend with Albert Belle. It saved uncle Jerry a lot of money. They could get around it by using a similar clause as Belle had. If someone is making more money, the Sox can  match it, if they refuse, they player can opt out.

Which actually kind of sounds right up Boras’ alley. 

However, the pending free agency of Mike Trout may essentially guarantee this condition. 

18 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Which actually kind of sounds right up Boras’ alley. 

However, the pending free agency of Mike Trout may essentially guarantee this condition. 

Belle's clause actually called for him to remain one of the 3 highest paid guys in baseball. For what Harper could demand, this type of thing could be perfect. How many players besides Trout are going to get more than him the next 4 or 5 seasons? Then if they do, let him walk, and let him get paid to decline by someone else. 

There is probably something that could work, but probably too many obstacles for the White Sox to overcome.  

Edited by Dick Allen

11 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ its all they have.. that and some hopeful prospects 

To me, in order for the Sox to increase their chances of getting Bryce from 0.0% to 0.1%, they would have to bring in some upper echelon players prior to him signing here (even if Sox offer the most).  

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

To me, in order for the Sox to increase their chances of getting Bryce from 0.0% to 0.1%, they would have to bring in some upper echelon players prior to him signing here (even if Sox offer the most).  

Who though?  Sell the farm to trade for some of those guys for the small chance that Bryce comes here?

Just now, fathom said:

Thor comes to mind 

Unless he comes without touching any of our top prospects but I don't see that happening.

The only shot at Bryce/Machado is simply:  We offer the absolute most money by a wide margin and they buy into Hahns vision of the team - which includes the ability to trade for guys from the deep farm system.  Nothing else matters IMO.

38 minutes ago, fathom said:

I would guess that +90% of free agents would not pass on an offer that’s 10% higher than the next best.  I think once you get to that point, the intangibles just don’t matter.  The players’ union also puts a ton of pressure on its stars to take max value and so does Boras.  I think you’re being a bit pessimistic here. Regardless, I fully expect the Sox to add one high-end starter by the end of the winter meetings.

• Tony locked this topic