***Day 2 MLB Draft Thread Rounds 3-10***

bmags

5 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

The high end high school part seems to fit with the FG rumor that there are a lot of high school guys willing to take in the low hundreds of thousands. With the first $125k being free, even just a half million extra could get us 3 guys asking for close to $300k. 

Great post

I wonder if the first pick ends up being an overslot guy tomorrow with the idea of seeing how much you can save today with the last several picks. Tonight you would check around to see what high end talent number could have gone down from the last several days. 

11 hours ago, steveno89 said:

the MLB draft coverage is awful in comparison to the NFL and NBA draft

Hard to really promote these kids/this draft when College baseball is merely a fraction of what NCAA Football and hoops are AND when there's like a 7% chance of a draft pick making it...in a handful of years earliest

11 hours ago, Quin said:

I feel like I'm watching baseball themed QVC.

You are Chief

11 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Days 2 and 3 are why I love the MLB draft.

Love seeing the local (local talent to me) go and just the HS kids that we toss money at, along with sleepers

11 hours ago, raBBit said:

It's simply unbelievable that Reynolds has kept the job so long when it seems like everyone hates his analysis. 

Probably my least favorite voice/analyst in sports...At least Chris Collinsworth is intelligent

11 hours ago, bmags said:

Andrew Dalquist - the hockey player

First thing I thought of as well, kid looks far from Swedish

10 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'm liking the high school picks. I guess Hostetler wasn't kidding about more prep arms/bats. I'm a fan. 

As am I, I'm usre it has to do with sustaining a strong farm system while also having a competitive ML team, curious to see how it plays out, the vast majority of HSers taken the last 2 years have yet to see full season ball

10 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

FG says the rumored ask from Dalquist was $2mil.

Seems wildly high, seems like he;ll sign with CWS no problem however based off his Twitter

10 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

These high schoolers were born in 2000 and 2001. I feel so old.

Unreal

10 hours ago, mqr said:

KLaw seems to be loving the White Sox Draft. Weird for a guy who hates the White Sox

Very odd, won't complain

10 hours ago, bmags said:

James Beard! I like it!

As do I, my favorite pick thus far, lot to be excited about, super raw

10 hours ago, Whitesox27 said:

We got our Billy Hamilton!

I want to call this a lazy comparison but I don't know who to compare him to

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I abslolutely love what the Sox are doing this draft. Love it. 

HS talent this early is refreshingly different for sure, hopefully pans out better than Danish and Adams

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Callis says hes the fastest player in the draft. 

That would be correct, 3 rounds after Abrams and frankly more potential as a hitter

10 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Beard has high upside, I'm digging it

Huge speed

Wonder where he would fit in the org. top 30, very excited

10 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Right about when Robert needs to shift over to left or Right...we have his replacement in Center now. Love the HS direction.

Definitely helps sustain a strong system over time

10 hours ago, Quin said:

I guess now we hope Stinson drops?

Would have loved him, what a steal

10 hours ago, Lillian said:

Why is there such a discrepancy in Beard's height and weight? One place it say 5' 10" and 170 pounds, and in another it says 6' and 190. Is the latter, a projection, or was the former an older description? In any case, he looks very skinny in that video.

5'11" 180 would put him right in the middle

9 hours ago, R4YL3 said:

How about Noah Song or Will Holland?

Would have loved both of them as well, curious how Song's situation plays out

Holland I think has a floor of a utility INF with a pretty damn high ceiling as an AS SS

9 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I Loved Singer and still do.  He's going to be an excellent pitcher for a long time.

I was down to either him or Madrigal with a slight preference for Madrigal, didn't want Bohm or any other arm

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I ask them to go get somebody left handed this time around. 

This system has so little LHSP, unreal...2 more righties to the top 30

9 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Song to Boston. Man they always get good talent. 

Very curious to see what happens

9 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Metzdorf??? WTF?

Here comes the cheap senior signing

Cheap college signing yes, but also quite interesting, coming off a good season

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

7-2 with a 2.58 ERA this season at Boston College.  11 GS.  73 IP, 65 K, 28 BB. 

Exactly why I'm interested in Metzdorf...hopefully can come into GF and throw a little and hopefully move quickly to help KAN...ACC comp is not easy

9 hours ago, Quin said:

Dan Metzdorf, aka Buehrle 38.0

Guess he can be this year's Varnell or Todd Kibby or whoever we always liken to MB56

9 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Holland to Twins. Good get at this juncture.

Major steal

9 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Interesting that his velo spiked at the end of the year. Maybe we saw that when other teams didn't.

I take it that tweet is accurate, sounds wild

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Whoa...wait what?

Bradley
3:19
Love the James Beard pick for the White Sox on name alone.  Outcome likely to be Terrance Gore?  Billy Hamilton?  Hopefully more?

Keith Law
3:20
Same org that turned Micker Adolfo from a workout phenom into an actual hitter. I give them a good chance here.

So odd to see LAw praising CWS

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Weems dude's numbers are baaaaadd.

Not sure what they see, if you take a SR, take a good one, apparently NH thinks he's a SP too

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Phillies just took the 101 mph guy.

Who?

8 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

So looking up Weems' JC stats, he actually had a really good sophomore year. 12 K/9, 2.89 ERA, 5 CG, and only allowed 1 HR in 65 innings. I wonder if they had a report on him from then and saw that Arizona changed something with him that messed him up.

That answers that

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Patel has very good senior numbers.

Interested with him, very good numbers as a SR SP...cool background

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Patel is now my favorite draft pick solely because he's Indian

First Patel I can remember since Dinesh Patel and the slightly more successful Rinku Singh

7 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Probably worse for College guys because they may be paying off student loans 😳

Interesting point, life in the MiLB is insanely poor

7 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They drafted a 5'9" 190 Sr catcher.  You're kidding me, right.

Was a Freshman All-American and very good defensively AND working with pitchers (including Manoah), I'm intrigued

7 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hope there is a plan for something more splashy tomorrow

Should be very similar to last year apparently, HS talent early, college power arms to follow, maybe some deep sleepers, a flier like Bush hopefully

7 hours ago, RudyLawRules said:

Screenshot_20190604-160116_Chrome.jpg

"elite defensive player". Hmmm.

Very intrigued, far more than a money saver

7 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Sounds like he's signing, assume a deal was already discussed

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Vaughn and Thompson collectively will save us about $1,000,000 IMO.

Why do you have them both underslot? Vaughn was ranked #3 by most and Thompson a HS arm with a strong commitment and a dude who fell out of the 1st

5 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Except it hasn't. We just took 6 senior signs in a row.

In 2018, we took 2 and they went in the 9th & 10th rounds

In 2017, we took 2 and they went in the 9th & 10th rounds

In 2016, we took 3 and they went in the 4th, 9th, & 10th rounds

In 2015, we took 4 and they went in the 5th, 7th, 9th, & 10th rounds

May I say I like when we tale SRs with upside like Jameson Fisher as opposed to a JAG (just a guy)

5 hours ago, credezcrew24 said:

I would be surprised if they don’t give a big bonus to their 11th round pick

Wonder who they take Day 3, lots of talent left

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I am so excited for James Beard still

Rightfully so, most excited I've been for a pick in a while

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Can't wait to add...hopefully we get anohter name or two to add to our Top 30 outside of our first 4 picks

3 hours ago, HoosierSox said:

Let's find a couple more Bryce Bush type lottery tickets tommorow.

All for that...I guess Leiter is a lock for Vandy because he comes to mind right now...plenty others

For every Bryce Bush there's a Bryce Montes De Oca

Players I love that went Day 2

Matt Cronin in the 4th to WSH...seeing him go in the 4th makes me scratch my head with the Burdi pick even more...why would a reliever ever go that high? guy should be a very good reliever in the ML fairly soon

Will Holland in the 5th to MIN, absolute steal, first round talent, no clue how he fell

Noah Song in the 4th to BOS...extremely curious to see how this works out

Graeme Stinson in the 4th to TB...Think a lot of teams will regret passing on him due to an untimely injury

Zack Hess in the 7th to DET...Should be another good ML reliever

37 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

First Patel I can remember since Dinesh Patel and the slightly more successful Rinku Singh

Why do you have them both underslot? Vaughn was ranked #3 by most and Thompson a HS arm with a strong commitment and a dude who fell out of the 1st

I have Vaughn underslot (very slightly) because if we did not draft him, he likely would have gone at 5, not 4, therefore we have a bit of leverage. For Thompson, I'm banking on his rough spring leading to him agreeing to take less. Since his stock was trending downwards, not upwards, we have some leverage there too. I like both picks a lot though, even if they sign for closer to slot value than I project.

And yes, by my count (and it's really hard to find accurate data on this), he's the 4th player of Indian descent to ever be drafted by a MLB team (the two guys you mentioned were technically international signings IIRC. Their movie wasn't half bad by the way). As an Indian fan, it's just really cool to see. I'll always be irrationally pulling for him to rise up through our system. 

Edited by Jose Abreu

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I have Vaughn underslot (very slightly) because if we did not draft him, he likely would have gone at 5, not 4, therefore we have a bit of leverage. For Thompson, I'm banking on his rough spring leading to him agreeing to take less. Since his stock was trending downwards, not upwards, we have some leverage there too. I like both picks a lot though, even if they sign for closer to slot value than I project.

And yes, by my count (and it's really hard to find accurate data on this), he's the 4th player of Indian descent to ever be drafted by a MLB team (the two guys you mentioned were technically international signings IIRC. Their movie wasn't half bad). As an Indian fan, it's just really cool to see. I'll always be irrationally pulling for him to rise up through our system. 

Hopefully Vaughn and Thompson get off on the right foot

Patel has a very cool story as a former cricket player, always wondered how cricket players translate to the MLB, now we'll see...India can be a potential future hot bed

For those who are upset about all the senior signs, or don't fully understand the process, as others have reminded us, the Sox nabbed Bryce Bush with their 33rd RD pick last year. That was considered a shocking pick. Most teams assumed he was unsignable. It's entirely possible and even likely that the Sox have at least 1 or 2 similar ideas in mind with picks 11-40. 

As far as local HS kids go....

LHP Michael Prosecky from Nazareth Academy. MLB.com ranks him #151 and literally compares him to Mark Buehrle in the sense that he's a soft-tossing lefty who works very fast and pounds the strike zone.

LHP Avery Short from Southport HS in Indiana. MLB.com ranks him #159 and his profile says he perhaps the most advanced HS pitcher in the country and should go in the top 3 rounds.

Both guys have commitments to Louisville. 

• bmags unpinned this topic
9 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yeah, honestly I am excited for him the most after Vaughn, as irrational as that sounds, I just really love the insane speed tool mixed with new found power. The fact that he might be faster than Billy Hamilton blows my mind. 

Between Beard and Robert, we might have the two fastest players in professional baseball now. Robert has timed as faster than Hamilton before too. We'll see what his statcast numbers look like once's he's up in MLB