2019 MLB Draft and Signing Tracker

bmags

58 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/reds-and-mets-game-the-mlb-draft-system/

Interesting Article from fangraphs about overreaching and losing value on our 3rd round draft pick- Dalquist 

My guess is this tidbit from the article is crucially important.

Keep in mind that it is possible some of the money saved will end up going to picks after the 10th round, where bonuses are capped at $125,000 unless teams use leftover money from the first 10 rounds.

Torres, Acosta, Gladney, Glass, Trenkle and Krogman are all going to cost extra money, whereas if the Sox took Allan, they'd have maybe been able to sneak in one of those guys.

So far they've got Gladney and Glass. But right now they have a chance to add 8 high schoolers to the system, which I think would have seemed unfathomable a year ago.

1 hour ago, PolishPrince34 said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/reds-and-mets-game-the-mlb-draft-system/

Interesting Article from fangraphs about overreaching and losing value on our 3rd round draft pick- Dalquist 

I think the article lost me with its premise that the Sox punted all value for the 3rd pick, which is an unknown at this point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quin said:

My guess is this tidbit from the article is crucially important.

Torres, Acosta, Gladney, Glass, Trenkle and Krogman are all going to cost extra money, whereas if the Sox took Allan, they'd have maybe been able to sneak in one of those guys.

So far they've got Gladney and Glass. But right now they have a chance to add 8 high schoolers to the system, which I think would have seemed unfathomable a year ago.

I wouldn't be opposed to that to get the top high school pitcher, but I will say Allan specifically makes me worried because there was a lot of concern he is a big flame out candidate:

"Allan isn't very projectable and is an average athlete, while his command has been consistently below average with this higher octane stuff, so some teams worry this is a classic prep righty bust where clubs fall in love with the raw stuff. His velo would also sit 90-93 at times down the stretch and some teams are worried there could be a minor medical hiccup, which, combined with Allan's $4 million pricetag and committment to Florida, could make him the second most likely prep player in the draft to go to college behind Jack Leiter." - Fangraphs

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I think the article lost me with its premise that the Sox punted all value for the 3rd pick, which is an unknown at this point.

The Sox are in some good company in that article, Reds, Marlins, and Mets! 

Did Dahlquist sign yet? Doesn't he kind of have the Sox by the balls now? He can keep increasing his ask and the Sox will be forced to pay him. 

1 minute ago, OneDog847 said:

Did Dahlquist sign yet? Doesn't he kind of have the Sox by the balls now? He can keep increasing his ask and the Sox will be forced to pay him. 

No, and no.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I wouldn't be opposed to that to get the top high school pitcher, but I will say Allan specifically makes me worried because there was a lot of concern he is a big flame out candidate:

"Allan isn't very projectable and is an average athlete, while his command has been consistently below average with this higher octane stuff, so some teams worry this is a classic prep righty bust where clubs fall in love with the raw stuff. His velo would also sit 90-93 at times down the stretch and some teams are worried there could be a minor medical hiccup, which, combined with Allan's $4 million pricetag and committment to Florida, could make him the second most likely prep player in the draft to go to college behind Jack Leiter." - Fangraphs

All high school pitchers are big flame out candidates. 

19 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

He doesn't. He'd be gambling on increasing his draft stock, which was that of a 2nd-3rd rounder, to a high 1st rounder over the course of three years while avoiding injury.

24 minutes ago, OneDog847 said:

Not really, especially since we haven't signed all the other HS guys yet. Since he is going to be over slot, losing his slot value won't actually hurt us and we would actually have the amount above the slot that we were going to use for him to use to sign other guys. So if we had planned for ~$1.3mm extra to pay him (so ~$2mm total) and he wants to negotiate out of our range, we can take that $1.3mm, add the free $125k, and see if that is enough to get Logan Britt to sign. Then, as long as we offered at least 40% of the slot to Dahlquist, we would get an extra pick in the third round next year. So then he would be in the position of either taking a max of slot or going to school.

17 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Not really, especially since we haven't signed all the other HS guys yet. Since he is going to be over slot, losing his slot value won't actually hurt us and we would actually have the amount above the slot that we were going to use for him to use to sign other guys. So if we had planned for ~$1.3mm extra to pay him (so ~$2mm total) and he wants to negotiate out of our range, we can take that $1.3mm, add the free $125k, and see if that is enough to get Logan Britt to sign. Then, as long as we offered at least 40% of the slot to Dahlquist, we would get an extra pick in the third round next year. So then he would be in the position of either taking a max of slot or going to school.

Wouldn't that be a pretty massive overpay for Logan Britt though? 

2 hours ago, OneDog847 said:

Wouldn't that be a pretty massive overpay for Logan Britt though? 

I mean its probably an overpay in terms of comparing it to other drafted players, but in terms of just actual value to an organization it would be worth it. The draft suppresses a player's true value so much that even an overpay is a massive discount. The only reason it would be considered an overpay would be because we have a limited pool, but if we don't have anyone else to use it on, then its worth it.