Jump to content

Golf/PGA TOUR thread


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Tiger Woods was in a single-car rollover accident in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, had to be extradited via jaws of life, and was taken to a hospital. Condition unknown.

EDIT: injuries are "moderate to critical" whatever that means

They got him out by through the windshield!  No jaws of life per LA Times.  Hoping he recovers.  Ben Hogan did from worse.

Edited by Stinky Stanky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2021 at 10:39 PM, Stinky Stanky said:

They got him out by through the windshield!  No jaws of life per LA Times.  Hoping he recovers.  Ben Hogan did from worse.

They didn't need a hydraulic rescue tool instead a simple axe and pry bar did the job.

I really love the marketing of the Jaws of Life(tm). A breathless Lester Holt describing they needed the JAWS OF LIFE to rescue Tiger is way more entertaining than they needed a hydraulic rescue tool and it's just plain boring to report they are removing the windshield with hand tools. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can I come here for some golf advice?

I received an older set 4 or 5 years ago and played a handful of times. I am wanting to get into it a bit more now and curious what I should do. I seem to hit well with the irons in the set and there are actually wood clubs in there that I hit well (3 wood mainly). Don't have a driver that is worth anything, so I'm not sure if I should buy a complete set (up to $500) or maybe buy a driver for a decent price and get other clubs as needed. I don't know anything about what makes clubs good or bad, etc.. Any advice would be great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2021 at 10:39 PM, Stinky Stanky said:

They got him out by through the windshield!  No jaws of life per LA Times.  Hoping he recovers.  Ben Hogan did from worse.

I saw an interview with a doctor who performs these kind of surgeries. He said Tiger will be good to go in about a year. Then he will be 46, so father time is working against him as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I saw an interview with a doctor who performs these kind of surgeries. He said Tiger will be good to go in about a year. Then he will be 46, so father time is working against him as well. 

Phil Mickelson won at 48, but he's had no major surgeries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Can I come here for some golf advice?

I received an older set 4 or 5 years ago and played a handful of times. I am wanting to get into it a bit more now and curious what I should do. I seem to hit well with the irons in the set and there are actually wood clubs in there that I hit well (3 wood mainly). Don't have a driver that is worth anything, so I'm not sure if I should buy a complete set (up to $500) or maybe buy a driver for a decent price and get other clubs as needed. I don't know anything about what makes clubs good or bad, etc.. Any advice would be great. 

Unmatched clubs are not the stigma they were 40 years ago.  If you buy what you need, when you need it, you leave open the option of spending big money if you find out that you're really good later on.  Lee Trevino once said "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."  (sorry, PC police) 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Unmatched clubs are not the stigma they were 40 years ago.  If you buy what you need, when you need it, you leave open the option of spending big money if you find out that you're really good later on.  Lee Trevino once said "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."  (sorry, PC police) 😁

I am not sure if this really answers my question lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I am not sure if this really answers my question lol

My two cents: 

The answer really depends on what you're looking to do/get out of it. Generally people will buy clubs in sub-sets: driver, fairway woods, irons, wedges. You could mix and match between sub sets to put your full set together, i.e. a Titleist driver and Callaway irons, but you wouldn't get a Titleist 4 iron and Callaway 6 iron. 

If you're only planning to play a few rounds here and there the clubs you have now are probably fine and you can add/subtract from the set as needed. You could get a new (used) driver for a couple hundred bucks and be in good shape. 

If you are seriously thinking about investing the time and money to get better, the answer changes. Do you want to spend the time and money to get lessons? Do you want to spend the money to get a full new set of clubs that is fitted for your swing?

If you are going to invest any significant amount of money in golf clubs, I recommended getting fitted. You would need to get fitted based on the clubs you are going to get (driver, fairway woods, irons, and wedges) and the fitting will tell you the clubs that will work the best for your swing. 

If you are going to get lessons, I would wait until you have made the necessary adjustments to your swing to get fitted as there will probably be significant changes. 

I can give you an example of the timeline I followed:

1. Played pretty consistently for about 20 years using hand me downs and clubs I bought off the shelf. 

2. Started lessons and changing my swing dramatically.

3. After about a year/year and a half I got fitted for driver, irons, and fairway woods. The fitting told me that my current irons and fairway woods were hurting my game but that my driver, with my current swing, was fine. I got new irons and fairway woods.

4. About a year later after more lessons I got fitted for a driver again. The fitting told me it was time to change my driver. I got a new driver. 

5. Going in for a wedge fitting in a month and the new wedges will complete my set........for now!

Edited by Marqhead
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marqhead said:

My two cents: 

The answer really depends on what you're looking to do/get out of it. Generally people will buy clubs in sub-sets: driver, fairway woods, irons, wedges. You could mix and match between sub sets to put your full set together, i.e. a Titleist driver and Callaway irons, but you wouldn't get a Titleist 4 iron and Callaway 6 iron. 

If you're only planning to play a few rounds here and there the clubs you have now are probably fine and you can add/subtract from the set as needed. You could get a new (used) driver for a couple hundred bucks and be in good shape. 

If you are seriously thinking about investing the time and money to get better, the answer changes. Do you want to spend the time and money to get lessons? Do you want to spend the money to get a full new set of clubs that is fitted for your swing?

If you are going to invest any significant amount of money in golf clubs, I recommended getting fitted. You would need to get fitted based on the clubs you are going to get, driver, fairway woods, irons, and wedges and the fitting will tell you the clubs that will work the best for your swing. 

If you are going to get lessons, I would wait until you have made the necessary adjustments to your swing to get fitted as there will probably be significant changes. 

I can give you an example of the timeline I followed:

1. Played pretty consistently for about 20 years using hand me downs and clubs I bought off the shelf. 

2. Started lessons and changing my swing dramatically.

3. After about a year/year and a half I got fitted for driver, irons, and fairway woods. The fitting told me that my current irons and fairway woods were hurting my game but that my driver, with my current swing, was fine. I got new irons and fairway woods.

4. About a year later after more lessons I got fitted for a driver again. The fitting told me it was time to change my driver. I got a new driver. 

5. Going in for a wedge fitting in a month and the new wedges will complete my set........for now!

Thank you for the detail.

I am more looking to get into it more, maybe play 3-4 times a month and improve my game slowly. Think I am going to go to a golf store this week and talk to them and see what they suggest. Maybe I will start with a driver and go from there, it seems like all the sets that our $300-500 have reviews that worry me a bit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Thank you for the detail.

I am more looking to get into it more, maybe play 3-4 times a month and improve my game slowly. Think I am going to go to a golf store this week and talk to them and see what they suggest. Maybe I will start with a driver and go from there, it seems like all the sets that our $300-500 have reviews that worry me a bit 

If you go into a place like PGA Superstore and tell them you're serious about buying something they'll do a courtesy fitting for you to help you pick something that suits your swing.

What clubs are you looking at that have reviews that worry you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Marqhead said:

If you go into a place like PGA Superstore and tell them you're serious about buying something they'll do a courtesy fitting for you to help you pick something that suits your swing.

What clubs are you looking at that have reviews that worry you?

There are only a few in the price range I would be okay with spending, it goes up quite a bit after these

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/f/shop-complete-sets?filterFacets=facetStore%3AISA%2CSHIP%3B5495%3AMen's%3Bgolfgalaxyofferprice%3A100-600&pageNumber=0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm, PGA not releasing players to play a Saudi tour event. That's a tough call. I am anti Saudi tour, but I also support individual players in making choices. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This week was championship week for some of my former and current players. All came so close to doing something remarkable. In the end it's been one kick in the gut after another.

Texas HS 5A runner up. 

Texas HS 6A runner up.

NCAA D1 top 10 Regional, barely missed qualifying for Nationals.

But the sun came up this morning. They are all incredible young men and woman who I was very fortunate to get to know and I'm certain there will be bigger wins in their futures. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

https://sports.yahoo.com/pga-tour-drops-hammer-suspending-current-and-future-liv-players-135231948.html

US Open just got a lot more interesting.

 

The players are now ineligible to compete on any PGA Tour-affiliated event and will not be permitted to participate in the Tour's season-ending FedEx Cup.

Affected players listed by name include Phil Mickelson and Ian Poulter. Many others, including Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia, Kevin Na, Lee Westwood and Graeme McDowell have resigned their membership from the PGA Tour. Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed will reportedly jump to the LIV tour when it arrives in the United States for its second event in early July.

Edited by caulfield12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...