White Sox future outlook thread

SonofaRoache

Since we are relevant again, I think it would be nice to have a thread where we can keep track of things like, World Series odds, power rankings, and what the pundits/other fanbases, and twitter is saying about us. This type of news is tough to follow and discuss when spread around multiple threads. 

I'll start with ESPN having a nice article about what to expect in the 20's. Here are a few things to note for the Sox.

1. We are predicted to have the best season of the decade, winning 112 games in 2023. The Cubs are predicted to have the worst season.

2. We are a high riser with the Padres, while the Indians and Cubs are fallers.

3. This is expected to be our best decade ever. 

4. We will take over the city once more. 

5. Luis Robert will beat out Nick Madrigal for MVP, even with Magical batting .364.

6. Magical and Robert will be the best defensive players at their position this decade. 

7. Our infield will be the best of this decade.

8. We will have the best offensive season of the decade in 2023. 

And my favorite

9. Michael Kopech will be the best pitcher in baseball for 2025 and 2026. Hopefully it will be with us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Thanks for that.  Some of those seem wildly optimistic but I'll take it.

Hey does anybody know if TA made Olney's "top 10 SS" list?  Olney isn't much of an analyst but I like any good pub for the Sox and TA.

He and Abreu checked in at 10. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

He and Abreu checked in at 10. 

Abreu was 9, as was McCann. Still annoyed Giolito was snubbed from even the honorable mentions, but as was said, he’s really not much of an analyst. What do you all predict for Moncada tomorrow?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Sale said:

Abreu was 9, as was McCann. Still annoyed Giolito was snubbed from even the honorable mentions, but as was said, he’s really not much of an analyst. What do you all predict for Moncada tomorrow?

Ironically I forgot to mention that ESPN has Giolito having the most wins over this decade with 152. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Hey does anybody know if TA made Olney's "top 10 SS" list?  Olney isn't much of an analyst but I like any good pub for the Sox and TA.

He did. He was 10th.

No gleybar or Tatis. Olney was showing ta some love. Room for further growth and improvement/potential too.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What was the final % of homers and RBI’s that Torres had against the Orioles?  It was insanely high, like Matt Davidson vs. KC that year.

Looks like her hit 13 of his 38 bombs against them. But truth be told I don't think that should hurt him. Every team gets to play against scrubs at some point. 

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

MLB Network usually does an off season "Top Ten Right Now" based on analysts and the unbiased "Shredder". They usually have a sabremetric superpanel also  so it's pretty comprehensive based on opinions and stats but not always seems to conform to the Right Now" label as some will rely too heavily on career stats and not as much as recent stats.

Last year only Grandal and Abreu made it but if they are still doing it this year will possibly see Moncada, Giolito, Anderson. Top Ten Starting pitchers is a difficult one to make but Giolito will probably appear on some list during the discussions but I think the final list is up to the "Shredder".

Moncada did not make the top 10 3B list at ESPN but was first on the best of the rest list. 

Per ESPN,

"Yoan Moncada, Chicago White Sox: He was the toughest to leave out of the top 10, but he'll climb into that group next season. Moncada collected 34 doubles, five triples and 25 homers last season. You would assume he'll improve on his 4-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio (154 strikeouts, 40 walks) as he gathers experience."

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Moncada did not make the top 10 3B list at ESPN but was first on the best of the rest list. 

Per ESPN,

"Yoan Moncada, Chicago White Sox: He was the toughest to leave out of the top 10, but he'll climb into that group next season. Moncada collected 34 doubles, five triples and 25 homers last season. You would assume he'll improve on his 4-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio (154 strikeouts, 40 walks) as he gathers experience."

That is a bit absurd. He was 7th in WAR for third basemen and that was with only 511 abs. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Jeff Passan's unofficial January power rankings have the Twins at 10, and the Sox/Indians somewhere between 11-20. 

Oddsshark has the Sox at 14, Twins at 11, and the Indians at 13. The Cubs are 12th. 

This seems fair, I think too many people are discounting the Indians. They had a ton of injuries last season and still were competitive. 

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

That is a bit absurd. He was 7th in WAR for third basemen and that was with only 511 abs. 

This seems fair, I think too many people are discounting the Indians. They had a ton of injuries last season and still were competitive. 

This is true, but you never know in the MLB. If the Twins and Tribe stay at the 9-14 range, we can definitely catch them if things go right. 

10 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

AND Jose Ramirez forgot how to baseball the first two months of the season. But I also do not think Lindor will be on the Indians come the trade deadline, regardless of their positioning.

Edited by cjgalloway

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think people should feel free to post video's too. MLB Network has some recent ones that make predictions with Dan Plesac giving the Sox a lot of love. I can't figure out how to do it. It's not as easy as posting Youtube videos in here.

Maybe someone posted the video on youtube. I'll look around for it. 

• Thanks 1

I mean you can go to MLB Networks page and find them just not sure if you are better at figuring out how to post videos. There's also one on a 1/7/20 MLB Tonight episode about 2020 AL contenders where AL Leiter also gives the Sox a lot of love.

Steve Stone also talked about the Sox and Cishek signing on Mad Dog Russo's show on 1/7 on MLB Network.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

There's also a ton of recent Sox video's from MLB Network here

https://www.mlb.com/video/search?query=Chicago White Sox&tag=teamid-145

Three alone on the Robert signing .

A long interview with Bennetti on the Hot Stove Show.

Over 7 minute Interview with Keuchel on Hot Stove.

Interview with Cooper about Keuchel and Gio Gonzales on SiriusXM

A segment on the Encarnacion signing with Joel Sherman and Steve Corcoran of the Athletic showing how the Sox players acquired addressed their worst areas and used sOPS+ to show it. Most here used the WAR stat

I used that stat a few days ago with a post on Mazara's ground ball , fly ball and ground out stats for the 1st time ever and couldn't remember seeing anyone else ever use it until i just saw that Encarnacion segment where they brought up how bad RF and DH, CF and 2nd base were in 2019  Kind of cool just using something brand new to me and seeing it used on a show. Just shows you can teach an old dog new tricks as long as the tricks aren't too complicated.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside